PDA

View Full Version : Boolit bump

Padrino
12-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Ok, so I went and bought myself a new Uberti Highwall in .40-65WCF, and a mold that drops a 240 grain boolit at .406. The barrel slugs at .408, so my question is, will a .406 soft lead (30/1) boolit ahead of black powder bump up enough to shoot accurately at shorter ranges (SASS side matches etc.)?
Thanks for any thoughts.

Padrino

Bullshop
12-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Yes absolutely. The problem you may run into is with your dies sizing enough to hold the boolits in the case. If that happens you can reduce the diameter of the inside expander to work correctly as long as your die reduces the neck enough.
Having a tight fit of the boolit to the case mouth is not a pre requisite to good accuracy.
I dont size my match cases at all. If your going hunting its nice to be able to carry ammo in your pocket and not have the boolits fall out.

runfiverun
12-27-2010, 01:35 AM
you'll wanna get some lube in the grooves, so be careful about the bumping.
as i recall dr mann shot soft lead ,sized to bore size.
he mentions trying groove size and the loss of accuracy.
something you'd have to work out with the case sizing.
i know paper patched for black is done with a soft boolit at bore size and the black bumps everything up too.

Padrino
12-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks for that!
I've read that soft lead bullets would bump up when fired but wasn't sure how much. My dies are Lee and the info says they are for .406 bullets, and they have three lube grooves full of bp lube, so they should be ok. Guess I'll have to just go out and shoot 'em and see how they go. :)

Regards

Bob Krack
12-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Thanks for that!
I've read that soft lead bullets would bump up when fired but wasn't sure how much. My dies are Lee and the info says they are for .406 bullets, and they have three lube grooves full of bp lube, so they should be ok. Guess I'll have to just go out and shoot 'em and see how they go. :)

Regards
Have you checked the size of the boolits?

In my experience, Lee moulds (and some others) nearly always throw boolits a couple of thousandths (or more) over advertised diameters.

Bob

geargnasher
12-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Big difference between soft lead and black powder and harder lead and smokeless, totally differcnt set of rules. I think those soft boolits should bump just fine when jolted with black powder.

Gear