PDA

View Full Version : Sabot Bullet??

phaessler
12-26-2010, 10:02 AM
I was wondering if anyone makes/knows of a maker for a .44cal (.430) sabot type bullet similar to BRP's 45? I am having great sucess shooting Mihec 434640 HP , no check, no lube, sized .430, and looking for something else to try.
Have got it dialed in my CVA inline, to 1" groups at 100yds and probably shouldnt mess with it.
Thanks
Pete

x101airborne
12-28-2010, 08:48 AM
Yeah..... About those groups..... Why in the name of all that's Holy would you mess with a load in a rifle that is shooting better than most cartrige rifles? Im good with just wanting to try something new, but "new" is usually what i try when "old" isn't working. you send me that rifle and load data, and i'll send you something that you can try new things on.

phaessler
12-28-2010, 09:03 AM
LOL...x101 I know , same thing my wife says, but deer seasons almost over and I have decided to dive in my muzzleloder accuracy issues. We are muzzlelod hunting from Oct-->Jan. here , and with a 2 week rifle season...doesnt make much sense.
Biggest thing I did was abandon the Hornady sabots, and 777 pellets. I tried a few different sabots, and a couple different powders, and alot of emails to JRon mfg (Harvester sabots). But then the family goes and gets me a new inline for Christmas, I thnk my son secretly wants my new found tack driver..hmmm

Pete

jmsj
12-28-2010, 09:22 AM
phaessler,
Can you share your recipe? What alloy, charge and if there is a specific sabot from Harvester?
Idon't shoot ML's(yet) but I have cast up a bunch of Lyman 429640 Devatators up for a young friend of mine. and he is going to try shooting them in his muzzle loader.

Screwbolts
12-28-2010, 07:42 PM
LBT made the molds for the harvester .430 280 WFN, I am sure veral would cut you a mold, Give LBT molds a call or email.

Ken

phaessler
12-31-2010, 08:50 AM
Thanks Screwbolts, will look and see what I can get there.. So far I guess I should leave well enough alone , but a tack-driving muzzleloader is neat. Even if it is an inline.

pm sent jmsj

Pete

Screwbolts
12-31-2010, 11:31 AM
Pete,

I have one of BRPs 300 grain molds in a 5 cavity. Because I shoot smokeless guns, I sent the mold back to Bruce for a mod, he removed most of the beveled base by re cutting some off the blocks, leaving me with a 288 gr Smooth sided .452, .268 meplat boolit. I harvested 6 deer and a coyote with it during our season here.

The reason I had him shorten it to remove the bevel was, I was blowing sabots in my smokeless guns with the bevel. I had already cast over 32 pounds of beveled boolits when I realized this. I will note that in guns using subs including BH209 the beveled base isn't a problem. We have 5 savages in the family and many friends that use subs.

I already have a double cavity from Veral for a .452 333 gr LFN Smooth sided of course. So a 288 gr, boolit fits right in real nice.

Even after Bruce reworked my mold it is a pleasure to use, it drops all boolits just by opening it. I cast with WWs water dropped for all my smooth side saboted boolits.

It is very easy to get a tack driver with smooth sided cast in MLs, I prefer the HSB sabot and the closer you can get to bore size with a thin sabot the better the accracy should be. IMHO.

Ken

phaessler
12-31-2010, 03:43 PM
Exactly what I noticed: It is very easy to get a tack driver with smooth sided cast in MLs, I prefer the HSB sabot and the closer you can get to bore size with a thin sabot the better the accracy should be. IMHO.
And documented, I found alot of the sabots have a radius insdie the cup where the bullet seats and it really messed up loading/accuracy until I went to the Harvester. Plus all the other sabots were blowing up i.e. missing petals, flattened cracked.
BRP makes a quality mold , I have a 2-bullet 4-cavity for a .45 rifle mold, and it is an outstanding tool to work with.
Warming up nicely here, 62 as I write this...off to cast..
Pete