PDA

View Full Version : Watching the critters

sundog
10-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Earlier today someone mentioned about deer not being too ascared of a firearm report. That's been my experience over the years as long as the boolits don't get around them too close. Well, this evening, Mrs. Sundog and I watched from the back porch just that. GS and SIL shot 3 rounds from a 30-30 at their target board both shoot bench and target about 100 yards away. We had a doe and a couple yearlings at the feeder in the far back corner of the fence line and they were concerned but less than nervous - kept munching. The feeder is about another 75 yards away from where they were shooting. It wasn't until they (GS and SIL, not the deers) got off the porch to go down range for a target check did the deers get nervous and head back into the woods - just kinda squirted thru the fence like good deers do. By then they (the deers, that is) had eat up about everthang put out for them. The doe looks like she has a broken front leg, can't walk on it at all, but gets around okay. We'll keep an eye on her. Yearlings appear a bit gant, but it was a really hard summer here. I guess I'll pony up a few more bucks for another sack or two of feed. Dogs and I went out for a walk about a 30 minutes later, and Buddy had real a problem with the tree line - they were still there, so we went walking the other way. Life is goot! sundog

Jack Stanley
10-23-2006, 09:16 PM
No need for me to put out any feed for them , they seem to have found the row of carrots in my garden that I wanted to eat .:( It also looks like they've been working the bean field over and some scrawny ol' scrub buck used one of my apple trees to relieve his itchy noggin .
Not that I'm feelin' vengfull or nuthin' , but I got something fer them this fall .:Fire:

Jack

NVcurmudgeon
10-23-2006, 10:43 PM
At the Chabot rifle and pistol range, located in a regional park near Castro Vallley, CA, it is not unusual for fire to be suspended for blacktail deer on the range. They seem to have no fear of the sound of gunfire. Food and cover are plentiful in this area, so they have no reason to ever move. Some of the deer were born on the range! On weekends when kids are often attending, the rangemaster lets them chase the deer off the range. They seldom move until the young herders approach quite close.

JeffinNZ
10-24-2006, 05:16 AM
I recall sighting my .22 Hornet at 100m with baby bunnies skittering around behind the frame oblivious.

Urny
10-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Bill, in the middle to late seventies that was my boys chasing away the deer at Chabot, most Saturday mornings. The image of them running down range, with the rangemasters connivance, is one of my treasured memories.

NVcurmudgeon
10-24-2006, 07:10 PM
Ernie, in the early eighties, my boy got in a little deer wrangling time, too.