PDA

View Full Version : 35 cal. 1:16 barrel how heavy a boolit

RU shooter
12-25-2010, 08:21 PM
How heavy or long whatever you prefer will a 1:16 twist shoot at lets say . 35 rem vel. I dont really have the need for a heavy boolit for anything I hunt but just wanting to know in case I need to kill a really big tree thats hiding behind that skinny deer!!!Or I find a killer deal on a mould at the gun show.

Thanks,Tim

Bass Ackward
12-25-2010, 09:38 PM
It all depends on definitions and the intended game. If you buy my idea of hunting accuracy for deer at 100 yards, then you can shoot anything made. Heaviest I have seen is 310 grains.

If you want to get technical about true stabilization out to longer ranges, or you need DEEP penetration (stabilization through game) then you will develop limits based upon what range (or accuracy level) you pick. Experts will tell you 250 grains. I will say OK to that figure too since you listed a velocity limit as well.

In the end, it still depends on the rifle and the load as much as a twist rate or bullet weight figure. If in doubt, launch faster.

Bottom line is that I haven't seen a bad 35 caliber design yet. You find one at a good price, buy it.

264 Win Mag
12-25-2010, 11:29 PM
How heavy or long whatever you prefer will a 1:16 twist shoot at lets say . 35 rem vel. I dont really have the need for a heavy boolit for anything I hunt but just wanting to know in case I need to kill a really big tree thats hiding behind that skinny deer!!!Or I find a killer deal on a mould at the gun show.
Thanks,Tim

I am working with a 240 gr in my Marlin 336 35 Rem and so far accuracy seems to be acceptable. I have not experienced any stability problems but I am at the beginning stages of my load development. The problem I have run into is with the O.A.L. and finding something that will cycle through the rifle smoothly.

Thomas