PDA

View Full Version : roundball sizes needed for 20 guage shotgun.

bruce drake
10-22-2006, 03:56 PM
Gents,

I was wondering what roundball molds do you use to make slug loads for 20 guage shotguns. I'm looking at using a roundball within a shotcup wad since I'm not having very good luck finding a 20guage slug mold (either Lyman or the mythical Lee mold):coffee:

Bruce

edited: I'm looking for a used mold and would prefer to not pay $49 for another mold along with another $36 for Large Handles. Thanks Ima and CA. I'll look into the Dixie Gun Works webpage

C A Plater
10-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Not sure what size you need but the nominal diameter of a 20 gauge is 0.617" and should weigh about 350 grains of pure lead. Dixie gun work suggests a .600 and a patch for muzzleloaders in 20 gauge.

imashooter2
10-22-2006, 04:21 PM
Midway only has 4 of the Lyman Foster type and 5 of the Lyman Sabot type molds in stock.

http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/search?TabID=5&category_selector=all_products&search_keywords=20+slug+mold&Click+to+Begin+Search.x=0&Click+to+Begin+Search.y=0&Click+to+Begin+Search=Search_Button

waksupi
10-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Dixie is probably your best bet. I believe they sell ball in increments of .001, so you could get some different sizes, to determine what you need.
I've never used a shot cup, nor know anyone who does. No reason it wouldn't work, though. There are quite a few smoothbore shooters around here, and because of bore and patching variations, people are using anything from .590, to .610.
I'd suggest you try the simple patch, rather than the shot cups. Less bulky stuff to pack around.
If you are shooting them in cartridge, you are just going to have to experiment, to see what will fit. I imagine different brands of cases will vary in thickness.

webfoot10
10-22-2006, 08:27 PM
I've been loadin 20 ga round ball loads for the last 20 years or so. It's simple
I try to use paper shells if possible, I load a magnum load of powder (your choice)
then I cut the fingers off of a 20 ga shotwad and load the base on top of the powder. Then I use cardboard filler wads on top of the plastic base wad to bring
the wad column up enought to fit a double patched 58 cal round ball in then 1
overshot wad and crimp. By double patching the ball is centered in the shell and
when fired the patches will compress and allow the undersized ball to pass through the choke with no harm. I trim the spue of the ball so's not to throw it
off course. Out of my Rossi double I can keep the shots in a 4 in group at 35 yds.
You can tape two 58 cal balls together with masking tape and delete some wads
and make snakeye loads.But reduce your powder charge a few grains. If you can't
find paper shells, you can get brass shells from Graf's that will work. The trick is to experiment till you find the right load. P.S. a modified choke works best with this load.
Webfoot10

Mike Nesbitt
10-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Bruce, You'ld better have a good idea about what choke you'ld be shooting through before you order a round ball mould for that 20 gauge. Of course, those
round balls work the very best out of a cylinder bore. Shoot sharp, Mike

Jack Stanley
10-22-2006, 09:26 PM
I bought a .729 round ball mould from Dixe years ago . It is quite a beast but it handles rather well with very much the same loading style that webfoot does . I do make absolutely-double-darn-certain that it only gets used out of cylinder or improved cylinder barrels . I bet the twenty would work pretty well too and be easier on the shoulder .

Jack

drinks
10-22-2006, 09:39 PM
I shoot .575 ball in my full choke Savage 24P, fits fine in a plastic shotcup.
The Lee mold is less than $20.