PDA

View Full Version : Trail Boss in a Hornet?

1Shirt
12-23-2010, 01:17 AM
Has anybody worked up a sucessful load w/Trail Boss for Hornet/K-Hornet? If so would appreciate hearing results. Thanks in advance to all who respond to this thread.
1Shirt!:coffee:

jimwill48
12-23-2010, 09:34 AM
1.5 gr trailboss w/Lyman 55gr FP is a load I keep around . Sounds and hits about like a 22rf. Use in my NEF Handi-Rifle in .22 hornet.

1Shirt
12-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks Jim, My hornet and K will not take a long blt due to twist, but will try that with shorter blts.
1Shirt!:coffee:

NVScouter
12-29-2010, 04:33 PM
TB load data per IMR

100%=4g
70%=2.8g starting load

I havent shot any yet but I have some loaded up. I'm really looking forward to using 1g for SS loads.

All trailboss is 100% case capacity x .7 = starting load.

BCB
12-29-2010, 05:10 PM
TB load data per IMR

100%=4g
70%=2.8g starting load

I havent shot any yet but I have some loaded up. I'm really looking forward to using 1g for SS loads.

All trailboss is 100% case capacity x .7 = starting load.

Unless I am reading that last sentence incorrectly, it should be a 100% charge is to the base of a seated boolit, and not the total capacity of the case...

Good-luck...BCB

NVScouter
12-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Unless I am reading that last sentence incorrectly, it should be a 100% charge is to the base of a seated boolit, and not the total capacity of the case...

Good-luck...BCB

Nope 100% capacity of case since it works compressed too per IMR tech support. When I called they seemed to be very "unconcerned" about the possability of overcharging anything with Trailboss. I havent loaded any 4g loads yet however.

Over all I'm not super impressed with Trailboss and the price per pound is terrible. When I get through this keg I doubt I'll buy more.

kir_kenix
12-29-2010, 05:54 PM
I don't have load data with me, but I've used Trail Boss in my hornets with much sucess. Turns it into a .22 lr in a jiffy. Quite and effective out to 100 yards or so, just like the .22lr.

BCB
12-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Nope 100% capacity of case since it works compressed too per IMR tech support. When I called they seemed to be very "unconcerned" about the possability of overcharging anything with Trailboss. I havent loaded any 4g loads yet however.

Over all I'm not super impressed with Trailboss and the price per pound is terrible. When I get through this keg I doubt I'll buy more.

Wow, that is the first time that I have ever heard of compressing Trail Boss as a recommendation...

All I have ever seen is the warning DO NOT COMPRESS Trail Boss...

I think I will stand by that one and call the 100% charge as the amount to the base of the seated boolit...

I guess I am just the opposite when it comes to Trail Boss. I started with a 5-pound canister and I am about to order another. For shooting to 50 yards, it is a good choice. Yea, there may be some powders that are more accurate, but Trail Boss is just so dang nice to meter to the case, seat the boolit, and go to the range. Recoil is almost nothing with everything I have used it in...

Good-luck...BCB

NVScouter
12-29-2010, 06:16 PM
Wow, that is the first time that I have ever heard of compressing Trail Boss as a recommendation...

All I have ever seen is the warning DO NOT COMPRESS Trail Boss...

I think I will stand by that one and call the 100% charge as the amount to the base of the seated boolit...

I guess I am just the opposite when it comes to Trail Boss. I started with a 5-pound canister and I am about to order another. For shooting to 50 yards, it is a good choice. Yea, there may be some powders that are more accurate, but Trail Boss is just so dang nice to meter to the case, seat the boolit, and go to the range. Recoil is almost nothing with everything I have used it in...

Good-luck...BCB

It may be that I was asking about 22Hornet and 223 Rem data. The case capacity and the very limited compression may have somethign to do with the attitude of the IMR tech support. Not to mention that only 70% full is starting data so they still recomend you work up every load.

If in doubt call IMR.

BCB
12-29-2010, 07:00 PM
NVScouter,

Not debating it with you—you will have to go on what IMR told you and how you interpret what they told you is up to you…

Here is a link to the instructions for the 70% formula. It has been posted everywhere, so you may have already read it…

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

According to these instructions, your statement, “Not to mention that only 70% full is starting data so they still recomend you work up every load.”…

That is wrong unless you indicate that it is 70% of the weight of the charge that is to the BASE of the boolit and not to the case mouth—there is a difference for sure. In one of my 45 Long Colt I shoot the 45-270-SAA and with it seated to the crimp groove, it takes 8.0 grains of Trail Boss to bottom of the boolit. 70% of that equates to a starting load of approximately 5.6 grains with a maximum being 8.0 grains, or the determined charge to the base of the boolit…

If I fill the 45 Long Colt case to the mouth, I get approximately 12.6 grains. If I take 70% of that, I have a starting load of 8.8 grains! This is starting out as a compressed load and when compared to the 8.0 to the base of the boolit, it is 0.8 grains over maximum as starting load!!! Ain’t going there…

Better read that 70% formula again…

This is the most controversial powder that I have ever worked with in my 40 years of reloading. But I have absolutely had no trouble with the 70% formula as described in the link above…

Good-luck…BCB

1Shirt
12-29-2010, 08:50 PM
I posted todays results under the title "22 Hornet" under Cast Boolits. Found it interesting to play with in my K hornet. Have also had good results with it in 303 Brit, and found it quite accurate to 50 yd.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Gohon
12-29-2010, 11:12 PM
BCB is correct...........a 100% load is not a full case measurement but to the base of a seated bullet. Then you weigh the load and start at 70% of that weight. Trail Boss does not like to be compressed........

NVScouter
12-30-2010, 11:08 AM
NVScouter,

Not debating it with you—you will have to go on what IMR told you and how you interpret what they told you is up to you…

Here is a link to the instructions for the 70% formula. It has been posted everywhere, so you may have already read it…

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

According to these instructions, your statement, “Not to mention that only 70% full is starting data so they still recomend you work up every load.”…

That is wrong unless you indicate that it is 70% of the weight of the charge that is to the BASE of the boolit and not to the case mouth—there is a difference for sure. In one of my 45 Long Colt I shoot the 45-270-SAA and with it seated to the crimp groove, it takes 8.0 grains of Trail Boss to bottom of the boolit. 70% of that equates to a starting load of approximately 5.6 grains with a maximum being 8.0 grains, or the determined charge to the base of the boolit…

If I fill the 45 Long Colt case to the mouth, I get approximately 12.6 grains. If I take 70% of that, I have a starting load of 8.8 grains! This is starting out as a compressed load and when compared to the 8.0 to the base of the boolit, it is 0.8 grains over maximum as starting load!!! Ain’t going there…

Better read that 70% formula again…

This is the most controversial powder that I have ever worked with in my 40 years of reloading. But I have absolutely had no trouble with the 70% formula as described in the link above…

Good-luck…BCB

I tried this last night using the Sierra 45g Hornet bullet. The 100% changed to 7.9g (loose) so it doesnt look like the data changes much for the Hornet. Your 45LC example doesnt suprise me since you are seating a .454 base 1/2" into a straight wall case.

BCB
12-30-2010, 03:22 PM
I tried this last night using the Sierra 45g Hornet bullet. The 100% changed to 7.9g (loose) so it doesnt look like the data changes much for the Hornet. Your 45LC example doesnt suprise me since you are seating a .454 base 1/2" into a straight wall case.

What case are you using? A 22 Hornet case with a 45 grain bullet?

What is the 7.9 grains?

I am confused...

BCB

NVScouter
12-31-2010, 02:51 PM
What case are you using? WW case trimmed A 22 Hornet case with a 45 grain bullet? 22Hornet case and a Sierra 45g Hornet sytle bullet What is the 7.9 grains? I meant to say 3.9g of Trailboss if filled to the base of the bulletI am confused...

BCB

I hope that clears it up. I lost less then 1/10th of a grain doing it your way. I'm going to try this load out this weekend so I can try and compete in the Postal match. I'll try the .223 Rem loads too in my 16" T/C Contender. Trailboss gave me around 1.5" grounds at 100 yards in the 1,500fps range so its possible.

BCB
12-31-2010, 05:50 PM
NVScouter,

I was just messin’ with a few Hornet cases as I don’t shoot that cartridge, but my Uncle does and he reloads them at my place…

I was able to get exactly 4.0 grains of Trail Boss in an empty 22 Hornet case. That was to the case mouth and a kernel or 3 fell off—so I would say that is full!!!...

I then cut the case back one boolit caliber or approximately .224”. I then filled the case ½ dozen times and weighed that amount and divided by 6 and got a charge to the base of a boolit seated to the depth of the caliber, of 3.48 grains…

The 70% formula indicates that a starting charge would be 2.4 grains and the maximum would be 3.48 grains—without compression…

You taken 70% of the full case will not cause a problem as you said. As it falls inbetween the starting and maximum load. But I try to put the information out there so someone who has never used Trail Boss does not start out by weighing a charge that is to the case mouth. As can be seen, that could cause problems as I demonstrated in a previous post with the 45 Colt…

By the way, I have never been able to get cast to shoot in any 22 caliber that I have. I tried it in a 22-250—a waste of lots of time! And I tried it in two 223 barrels that I have for my Contender. A 14” and a 16”. Still not worth the effort…

But, I didn’t try Trail Boss with either so that might be a project in the future…

Good-luck…BCB