PDA

View Full Version : Range report 444 Marlin and 58 M/L

krag35
10-21-2006, 09:12 PM
I finally got to do some shooting today and figured out a few things, and relearned some others.

I finally shot the last of the FLGC bullets out of my 444. Now a good cleaning and I'll never again soil it's bore with another. I had loaded up 10 rounds with the TLC-285-RF (Ranch Dog) over 52.8 gr of BLC(2) w/ CCI 200. At 50 yds. They hit same POI as my FLGC's over 15 of Unique, I was disappointed, I thought it was going to be a rip-snorting full bore hunting load, also lots of unburned powder left in the bbl.

I shot my T/C Renegade 58 It was the worse case of click -------------BOOM I have ever had. I pulled the nipple and there was barely even a hole through it (brand new nipple) STRIKE 2

Next: I tried some loads with the TL-160-RF group buy in my 30-30 over 6 gr PB and the case filled with ground poly filler. 5 shot group 6" or so 12" low. Then on the 6th shot something sounded funny and there wasn't a hole in the paper, couldn't see through the bbl, YUP, stuck a bullet about 4" up from the chamber.

I spent some time busting rocks with my 06 and condoms and sniping pine cones out of trees across the draw then went home.

I pulled up Ranch Dog's casting log and discovered my dyslexia on the BLC (2) data, so I loaded up 10 more rounds with 58 gr BLC(2) . It's interesting to get 58 gr in a 444 case. I usually seat the bullet, and then come back and use a factory crimp die to do the crimping. Not so with this load, the powder was pushing the bullet back out of the case. So I had to seat and crimp in one step. That is when I remembered that part about trimming all your cases to the same length. I beat the stuck bullet out of my 30-30 and drilled out the flash hole in the nipple. I reloaded the pickup and drove the 20 miles back out to where I shoot.

Shot a fouler out of my M/L, no Click -------- Boom , just a BOOM, no lag, that helps. I fired 3 @ 50yds centered and 3" high, just what I wanted. 3@100yds landed in the bull just to the right of center. Finally something goes right.

The first round out of the 444 with 58 gr and the TLC-285-RF got my attention, this ain't no popgun anymore. 5@50 yds stayed in the 3" bull. Backed off to 100yds and 4 were in the 4 1/2" ring. Remember I loaded 10 but only shot 9 at paper, because the first round was fired with me holding the rifle on the far side of a tree, I have never compressed anything that hard before and was a we bit nervous.

Then I shot the last 45 rounds of jackedt 444 I had. At 50 yds with the rifle loaded in one hand and half cocked, I'd bring it up, cock it and fire as soon as I had a sight picture, just as if I had busted and Elk out of a thicket. 27 landed in the 6 1/2" bull, 14 on the paper and the last 4 were just off (all of them to the right) That won't win any target competion, but it will put meat in the freezer and that's what I bought this rifle for. It also shows I need to spend more time shooting off of my hind legs and less off of a bench.

I found a 3 blade Uncle Henry pocket knife in real good shape laying on the ground and picked up a 3# coffee can of range scrap out of the berm. Turned out to be a good day.
krag35

Ranch Dog
10-22-2006, 10:29 AM
I pulled up Ranch Dog's casting log and discovered my dyslexia on the BLC (2) data, so I loaded up 10 more rounds with 58 gr BLC(2) . It's interesting to get 58 gr in a 444 case. I usually seat the bullet, and then come back and use a factory crimp die to do the crimping. Not so with this load, the powder was pushing the bullet back out of the case. So I had to seat and crimp in one step. That is when I remembered that part about trimming all your cases to the same length...

... Remember I loaded 10 but only shot 9 at paper, because the first round was fired with me holding the rifle on the far side of a tree, I have never compressed anything that hard before and was a we bit nervous...

... It also shows I need to spend more time shooting off of my hind legs and less off of a bench...

... I found a 3 blade Uncle Henry pocket knife...

Krag35...

The next time you see a Lee Factory Crimp Die, you ought to get it. It will end the need for uniform case length for crimping. I used a 6" drop tube to slowly trickle the powder into the case so it would pack well. With my given lot of powder and brass, 58.9-grains was actually 100% of what the case would hold.

I sure wanted BL-C(2) to work with my 444T but knowing the accuracy that H4198 delivers I have to stick with it. I guess the lower velocity and inaccuracy is why Hodgdon doesn't list a load with this powder.

An old tire works good if you are ever worried about a powder charge. Lay the rifle across the tire with the stock inside one end of it. Need a string to pull but the bottom line is to never shoot one that you are worried about.

Nice find!!!

Ranch Dog
10-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Forgot to mention that entering my Postal Match next year will get you ready for the hunting season and win you some cool prizes in the drawing!!!

krag35
10-22-2006, 11:04 AM
[QUOTE=Ranch Dog;113434]Krag35...

I sure wanted BL-C(2) to work with my 444T but knowing the accuracy that H4198 delivers I have to stick with it. I guess the lower velocity and inaccuracy is why Hodgdon doesn't list a load with this powder.

I tried 4198 once in a 222, accuracy was great, but I think I would have had better luck running a hay bale through my powder measure. I bought the BL-C(2) because I could not get AA2520 locally and didn't have the money to mail order an 8#er.
Natchez is selling DP68 at a good price. Supposed to be in the AA2015 range and it's a ball powder, going to give it a try when my order arrives.

krag35

krag35
10-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Forgot to mention that entering my Postal Match next year will get you ready for the hunting season and win you some cool prizes in the drawing!!!

I saw the results from this years match, only way I'd win is if you handed out a prize for worst group/shot/entry :-) I may give it a whirl though.

krag35

44man
10-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Only one thing I didn't like! When you said the powder was pushing the boolit out. You do not have enough case tension on the boolit for a good burn rate or accuracy. Use a smaller expander and see if there is an improvement.

Ranch Dog
10-22-2006, 07:30 PM
I saw the results from this years match, only way I'd win is if you handed out a prize for worst group/shot/entry :-) I may give it a whirl though.

krag35

The beauty of the match is that the prizes from the various manufacturers are all drawn from amoung the targets entered. Each target is an entry, the more you submit the more chances to win multiple prizes.

Newtire
10-22-2006, 10:33 PM
I finally got to do some shooting today and figured out a few things, and relearned some others.

I finally shot the last of the FLGC bullets out of my 444. Now a good cleaning and I'll never again soil it's bore with another. I had loaded up 10 rounds with the TLC-285-RF (Ranch Dog) over 52.8 gr of BLC(2) w/ CCI 200. At 50 yds. They hit same POI as my FLGC's over 15 of Unique, I was disappointed, I thought it was going to be a rip-snorting full bore hunting load, also lots of unburned powder left in the bbl.

I shot my T/C Renegade 58 It was the worse case of click -------------BOOM I have ever had. I pulled the nipple and there was barely even a hole through it (brand new nipple) STRIKE 2

Next: I tried some loads with the TL-160-RF group buy in my 30-30 over 6 gr PB and the case filled with ground poly filler. 5 shot group 6" or so 12" low. Then on the 6th shot something sounded funny and there wasn't a hole in the paper, couldn't see through the bbl, YUP, stuck a bullet about 4" up from the chamber.

I spent some time busting rocks with my 06 and condoms and sniping pine cones out of trees across the draw then went home.

I pulled up Ranch Dog's casting log and discovered my dyslexia on the BLC (2) data, so I loaded up 10 more rounds with 58 gr BLC(2) . It's interesting to get 58 gr in a 444 case. I usually seat the bullet, and then come back and use a factory crimp die to do the crimping. Not so with this load, the powder was pushing the bullet back out of the case. So I had to seat and crimp in one step. That is when I remembered that part about trimming all your cases to the same length. I beat the stuck bullet out of my 30-30 and drilled out the flash hole in the nipple. I reloaded the pickup and drove the 20 miles back out to where I shoot.

Shot a fouler out of my M/L, no Click -------- Boom , just a BOOM, no lag, that helps. I fired 3 @ 50yds centered and 3" high, just what I wanted. 3@100yds landed in the bull just to the right of center. Finally something goes right.

The first round out of the 444 with 58 gr and the TLC-285-RF got my attention, this ain't no popgun anymore. 5@50 yds stayed in the 3" bull. Backed off to 100yds and 4 were in the 4 1/2" ring. Remember I loaded 10 but only shot 9 at paper, because the first round was fired with me holding the rifle on the far side of a tree, I have never compressed anything that hard before and was a we bit nervous.

Then I shot the last 45 rounds of jackedt 444 I had. At 50 yds with the rifle loaded in one hand and half cocked, I'd bring it up, cock it and fire as soon as I had a sight picture, just as if I had busted and Elk out of a thicket. 27 landed in the 6 1/2" bull, 14 on the paper and the last 4 were just off (all of them to the right) That won't win any target competion, but it will put meat in the freezer and that's what I bought this rifle for. It also shows I need to spend more time shooting off of my hind legs and less off of a bench.

I found a 3 blade Uncle Henry pocket knife in real good shape laying on the ground and picked up a 3# coffee can of range scrap out of the berm. Turned out to be a good day.
krag35
Hi Krag35,
Had a great day with my Marlin 444 too. I'll agree with you all the way. I spend way too much time at the bench. Next time at the range is offhand time.
I found that 46 gr. H-4198 & RD 277 gr. makes the thunder come and the bullets print real nice. I also found that 25 gr. 2400 and the Ranch Dogger is a real accurate combo. I get just a bit tighter groups with the Lyman 250 gr. Keith style but with a gascheck. Today I shot a 1/2" 5-shot group with that boolit and 25 gr. 2400. That's as good as it has ever gotten for me. I seat those until I crimp right over the front driving band. A bit far off the rifling perhaps but nothing beats them for accurate load. Try fooling around with the sizing too as I was using boolits I had sized .430" in the Lyman's. I pumped up to 46 gr. with the Lyman cast 250 grainer and they began to spread.