PDA

View Full Version : Free checks

Four Fingers of Death
10-21-2006, 08:00 PM
I was just over on Paco Kelly's Leverguns site and saw this:

Posted - 10/21/2006 : 5:59:18 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following is lifted from Veral's site. he is planning on making a gas check tool to punch checks out of soda and beer cans. He's asking for those who are interested to send him an email. I told him I'd pass the info on.

" I have been debating the manufacture of a gas check maker which mounts in and is powered by a standard reloading press and uses the new 24 oz beer cans for material. (They are thicker than the smaller cans, with work fine but are a bit dainty.)

To make checks with this tool, strips which are cut from the side metal from the cans, is fed through a slot, the checks being punched out and formed in one stroke of the press. The checks are colledted in the hollow punch, which is removed from the press just as you'd remove a sized cartridge case, and the checks poured out into a container. The prototype which I made, produces close to 1000 in an hour after the strips are cut and ready, and the tube of this unit hold about 10 checks. This means, remove and dump the checks that often. I may be able to up capacity of the tube some.

Ideally the customer would purchase a mold specivically for these checks. This means the base band would be cut about .004 smaller than sizer diameter, so hard bullets can be checked without shearing the checks. Or the same checks will fit any plainbase mold of the caliber and will size on without shearing if sizing is done while bullet hardness is below about 16 bhn. This means those using the most popular alloy today, whcih is water quenched wheel weights, would have to remove bullets from the water, blow them dry and size within a maximum time of about 2 to 3 hours after casting, or any time shorter. Also the checks will not give full performance if an existing plain base mold has a base band which is wider the the checks will cover. Performance increase will be very worthwile, but the base band must be a pecise length to get optimum performance the these thin aluminum checks, with a grease groove forward of the check to collect lead scrapings.

If interested in such a tool, please email me at LBTisAccuracy@Imbris.net. I expect the price will have to be at least $15 per tool, which will high quality heat treated tool steel, capable of very long life. And I would only produce the most popular calibers, at first at least. 38 44 45 The 45 would work with rifle and pistol, but may require two extra parts, which would raise the price some. I will experiment with feeding multiple layers of metal through to see if it will produce stacked checks which will fit standard gas check shanks. Performance has already been proven with the free check makers, but production with my tool is the concern here. If you email me, I'll respond after perhaps three weeks with an answer of whether demand warants production.

I've sat on this idea for approximately 20 years, my friends. I was already busy then, and not really excited about the thin aluminum stock. Business is slack enough now to consider it, and the new, and very abundant 24 oz cans make the concept quite attractive. " quoted from Veral Smith on Greybeard

R J Talley

I don't like quoting others, but I figure the more people who are interested and find out and respond the more likely it is that Veral will produce these things.
Mick

jar-wv
10-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Damn. I musta been too drunk to notice that the beer cans are thicker now.

jar

44man
10-21-2006, 08:35 PM
I have a deal for all of you! Send me the beer and I will empty the cans and return the empties free of charge. No sense putting all of you through the stress when I can do it for you.

drinks
10-21-2006, 08:37 PM
Forster makes a set, Midsouth Shooters Supply has them in stock.

Four Fingers of Death
10-21-2006, 11:40 PM
Appartenty the big cans have thicker metal, makes sense I suppose. I buy beer occasionally, but usually in stubbies (bottles) oe normal sized cans. I'll have to keep my eyes open for bigger ones.

Dinks, I'll be blowe if I can find anything on Midsouths or Forsters site.

Mick.

PatMarlin
10-21-2006, 11:57 PM
Forster makes a set, Midsouth Shooters Supply has them in stock.

Where'd ya see that? I looked on the website, and they don't list it there. Catalog?

Sven Dufva
10-22-2006, 12:14 AM
I think the ide is very good, Im in.

omgb
10-22-2006, 12:35 AM
Sven, drop Veral an email and let him know.:drinks: SKOL!

Sven Dufva
10-22-2006, 12:46 AM
Its done! Skål

cherok9878
10-22-2006, 01:05 AM
drinks, how about a little more info, looked at forster products, must have missed the GC tool........................lb

Mohillbilly
10-22-2006, 01:21 AM
YEEHAW I'll take at least 1 of all of them.........

omgb
10-22-2006, 02:29 AM
Sven,

I tried hard but my keyboard won't support an umlat (sp) and I didn't want to use the American "skoal"

Lots of Swedes and Norskies in my family, my wife's too. Her folks were Halversons and Ammundsons, mine were Talleys, Halversons and Nuttlemans. :drinks: