PDA

View Full Version : Master Caster - comments please

12-21-2010, 04:16 PM
Okay, I suspect this topic has been up and down the mountain a few times so I apologize for that, but despite going through the archives I found only bits and pieces of information.

I’m thinking of buying one of Magma Engineering’s “Master Casters”. Had a couple of questions.

(a) What is the general consensus on it’s efficiency? Based on what I’ve read so far it seems the machine works well, has very few problems, and is user friendly. Actually, it seems it’s pretty much fool proof. The only negative thing I read on it was that it is “boring” to run. I can live with that! Would those of you who have these machines mind telling me what you really think of them and how easy are they to run. Set the cost issue aside. No, I’m not made of money, but this gives me a very good pot and a mechanical way of casting with little effort. It would be worth it to me. Speed is not an issue either. It’s good for 400 to 500 per hour and that’s plenty for me.

(b) How hard is it to set up and to change molds?

Thanks for your thoughts.

AnthonyB
12-21-2010, 05:26 PM
I don't own a mastercaster but did have one visit en route to a new owner back around 2003. BD and I bought out a commercial caster in PA; I got the Star sizer, Magma 90lb. bottom pour, and probably close to 100 pounds of bullets. BD got the mastercaster and somewhere around 30 molds.
BD offerred to let me play with it a while, so I kept if for a couple weeks. Very easy to use, and changing cool molds only took a few minutes.
If I remember correctly, the original owner had replaced the Magma pot with a stainless one of local manufacture. He did not have a good opinion on the Magma pot, but was using the 90 lb. version to feed the mastercaster pot with no trouble.
Tony

casterofboolits
12-21-2010, 08:09 PM
I have three of the Master Casters. I started with two and bought the third to increase my production. At the time I had a Boolit business.

They are easy to set up and learn to run, but the advertised hourly production they list is a bit optimistic. Heck, I even taught a couple of my cop buddies how to run them.

The moulds will need cleaning about every thousand or so or you will damage the mould tops. Sooner if you run a hot pot.

Magma moulds cast excellent boolits and they have a large selection of moulds to cover all calibers and styles

I even have some Hensley & Gibbs moulds made for the Master Casters.

The only problems I have with mine are the cartridge heater elements that seem to last about four months or so. The new Master Casters have band heater elements and from what I've been told, are much better.

To sum it up, easy to use, cast excellent boolits, moderate production. I cast much faster using hand moulds by Lyman, Saeco and H&G with RCBS 10 Kilo pots.

ReloaderFred
12-21-2010, 09:31 PM
I have one, with about 20 different molds. It's easy to use, but is boring. It's easy to change molds, hot or cold. Just wear gloves and it's no problem changing out hot molds.

What I like about it is I can spend about 6 hours casting with it and get between 2,500 and 3,000 bullets, depending on the size of the bullet. At the end of the session I don't feel like I've wrestled a bull, like I would if hand casting for the same length of time.

As long as you clean your molds and watch what you're doing, it's a fine machine. Magma has a white wax that you mix with alcohol and spray on the sprue cutter and top of the molds. This keeps most lead from clinging to the mold and sprue cutter. I just spray the top of the mold with the sprue cutter open and bullets still in the cavities about every 50 casts or so. This keeps the spray out of the cavities, but lubes the areas where you don't want lead buildup.

Hope this helps.

Fred

runfiverun
12-22-2010, 03:13 AM
i have two of them one i built a stand for to use with my 4 cavity lyman molds.
they are pretty easy to setup and operate. i even taught my kids to cast with them.
if i got a smear on the top i would just dab a bit of lube on there and it would wipe away nowdays i'd just use some bullplate and not worry about it.
i had a couple of rcbs,lyman,and a saeco mold set-up for mine.
they are boring as heck to run and airc the output was closer to 300 an hour.
i always ran some tin with my alloys to insure a good fill out.

deltaenterprizes
12-24-2010, 11:29 AM
I have one I bought about 1985 and as far as I has the original cartridge heaters. I can buy cartridge heaters at WW Grainger, I imagine you are married to Magma for the bands.
It is easy to use and klutzes can cast bullets without much trouble.
I have been thinking of modifying a LEE 2 cavity mold to fit to see how long it will last.

12-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Thanks guys. Sounds like it's pretty much "idiot proof" and that is exactly what I need. :-)

A very Merry Christmas to all of you, and thanks for the help and advice.

markinalpine
12-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks guys. Sounds like it's pretty much "idiot proof" and that is exactly what I need. :-)

A very Merry Christmas to all of you, and thanks for the help and advice.

You can also find many videos on You Tube if you search their site. :popcorn:

Merry Christmas,
Mark [smilie=s:

LAH
12-28-2010, 11:23 AM
I have two, one older, one newer. They are simple & easy on the body. Producetion rates aren't as advertized especially for larger bullets. I have a two cavity 9MM 147 gr. RN mould I can dump every 10 seconds. That's the fastest. I have a two cavity 45cal. 325 gr. SWC that dumps every 40-45 seconds. This is for perfect bullets, no frost, using 92-6-2 alloy.

biscot
12-31-2010, 09:13 AM
So, did you buy the Master Caster?
I just got one a few weeks ago, and think it's a neat machine. My comments pretty much echo the others in this thread, except the boring part - I think it's a blast. But then, maybe I'm easy to entertain!
Perfect boolits, no rejects. What's not to like? You're somewhat limited on molds, although most any 2-cav mold can be made to fit. I kept my bottom pour put to use for hand casting, and I'm glad I did.

ReloaderFred
12-31-2010, 12:33 PM
I've got a couple of RCBS, one SAECO and one Lyman mold that have been converted to work on my Master Caster. You can buy the conversion kits from Magma and do the conversion yourself if you have a milling machine, which I don't. Friends with milling machines are willing to help, though.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Gunsmoke4570
12-31-2010, 01:53 PM
Have had one for a couple years now. Works great, easy to set up and adjust if needed. Casting pistol bullets I can get about 400-500/hr with good clean sprue cuts. A little spray of lube on top of the mold every so often and no worries! Only problem I've had is the thermostat has started sticking. Sometimes it won't cycle on and off like it should. I need to call Magma and get a replacement.