PDA

View Full Version : Newbee questions

jeff100
12-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Couple of questions you you all. One, how do you install gas checks if you're using boolits 'as cast' and not sizing? Can the same method be used with Hornady and Lyman gas checks?

Two, has anyone used window sash weights for casting? Is this really soft lead? How does it compare to wheel weights?

(OK, that's four questions...;-) ) Thanks....Jeff

1Shirt
12-23-2010, 11:26 AM
First question response: get a sizer, preferably a lee push thru the same size as your as cast. It will seat and crimp the check, and not touch the dimensions of your as cast.
Both Hor and Lyman modern checks are crimp ons as far as I know.

Second question: Have smelted sash weights, and all as far as I could tell were pure or close to pure lead. Pure lead is softer than WW by 3-4 BH.
Good Luck!
1Shirt!:coffee:

45-70 Chevroner
12-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Lyman makes a GC seater at least they used to. I have had one for years but I hardly ever use it. If you have a lubresizer lyman or RCBS you can seat the GC just by running the boolit in just a little ways, it will pop right on. You actually need to push it in far enough to crimp the GC on. My experience with sash weights is that they are pure lead.

Tom W.
12-23-2010, 03:05 PM
All the sash weights I ever encountered were iron, thus making decent boat anchors.