PDA

View Full Version : new vs "old" Unique

Cloudpeak
10-21-2006, 10:42 AM
I've worked up one load with cast bullets for my 45 ACP 1911 using Power Pistol. But, the reduced "bunny" loads with this powder didn't group well.

When I was working up cast bullet loads for my 40 S&W, I started with Unique and came up with some nice reduced loads. But, the Unique didn't measure out of my LNL powder measure to suit me so I switched to Power pistol. The Unique was around 30 years old. It sems to me I read in some gun group that the "new Unique" measures better. Was this my imagination?

Thanks, CP

robertbank
10-21-2006, 12:03 PM
I find Unique to be difficult to adjust using my Dillon 550. This is particularly true of using light loads in the 9MM. I confine the powder now to .45LC and go with 231 for my 9MM and .45acp cartridges.

While the new Unique is said to be cleaner than old Unique I have never heard much discussion as to it being easier to measure.

The new stuff can be difficult. I like Longshot powder in the .45LC, you might want to try it. Meters well in my Dillon. For light loads try 231. Winchester lists cowboy loads using 231. Pretty mild.

Take Care Eh

Bob

versifier
10-21-2006, 03:58 PM
No problems with Unique out of my RCBS Uniflow. Little handgun loads, medium handgun loads, big rifle loads, no problems. It's still not the cleanest powder around, but it performs well enough for me to buy big jugs of it. I really like it in .38 & .357 revolvers, 1911's, and some medium bore/medium capacity rifle cases get decent accuracy with it, too. I haven't noticed much if any difference in it, but I'm not using it for setting velocity records, just target and practice loads.

Poygan
10-21-2006, 05:18 PM
I've noticed some variations with Unique out of my RCBS measure but I attributed that to grain size and live with it. Now, 800-X was something else! What I do find interesting is that I started out with Unique and 2400 back in the 1960s and have tried lots of different powders since then but, for handguns, I could easily live with only those two again as my only powders.

Hunter
11-09-2006, 12:53 AM
The difference between the older Unique and new Unique powder is mainly the depth of the flake. The old Unique's flakes were inconsistant while the newer Unique has a better cut on the flakes making the flakes more consistant in size and volume, that attritbtes to a cleaner burn and more consistant meter. I also use the Hornady powder measure (in 2 progressives a L-N-L and Pro 7 and a L-N-L single stage) and the newer Unique is a more consistant measure from throw to throw and a little cleaner burn.