PDA

View Full Version : question about rings and bases

Bullshop
12-19-2010, 10:24 PM
I have a question about rings and bases. What I would like to know is does anyone make a conventional set of rings for the standard internally adjustable scope but that will fit to the target type bases for non internally adjustable scopes?
It would be very handy to be able to use both types of scopes on the same set of blocks.

BD
12-20-2010, 08:47 AM
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "target type bases", but both Warne and Talley make rings for picatinny/weaver bases.

BD

oldhickory
12-20-2010, 09:27 AM
I think Bullshop means Unertl type bases. I don't know of any, but I guess it's possible they were made.

Wayne Smith
12-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Dan, I think the spacing would be a major problem. You would have to cantiliver the front back to even reach an internally adjusted scope.

oldhickory
12-20-2010, 10:22 AM
There were a few Unertl scopes that were short enough, and were receiver mounted only. I remember having a 10, or 12X mounted on a Remington 700, both front and rear blocks were on the receiver in place of standard mounts. That Unertl was only about 14" long.

I see your point though Wayne, the vast majority of them mounted with the rear block on the forward receiver ring, and the front block on the barrel.

Bullshop
12-20-2010, 02:44 PM
This is for an 1885 Win with a long one piece rail for mounting on the barrel. I have not tried but was wondering if the rings for a grooved 22 receiver will fit. If yes then I can just get a set of high quality rings of that type made for a 1" tube. scope.
It a 22 hornet so recoil will not be an issue.
By target blocks I do mean the older Unertl type blocks.
You guys remember when the first Remington 700 V's came from the factory with these type blocks, and the first Ruger #1's?

scrapcan
12-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Bullshop,

I think some of the older mounts used 3/8 rings. I vaguely remember having a set of sights for a win 52 that fit the rear block and a front sight base. You could pull the sights and use an unertl on the rear scope base and front scope block.

Brownells shows a set of blocks by P&L that use 3/8 bases.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=12730/Product/TARGET_SCOPE_BASES

Bullshop
12-20-2010, 03:54 PM
manleyjt
I am not getting the picture you are trying to convey. Maybe my fault for not doing a good job in describing what I need.
There are no sights on this barrel and no sight dove tails cut. There is a very long rail of a type I have not seen before. It looks to be the shape of the Unertl target blocks of which there would normally be two only this is a continuous one piece job.
I have a Unertl programmer that will fit and be great for bench rest testing but there is no way I will go afield with that scope mounted. What I would like is to have a modern scope that will fit the existing base for field use so that I wont have to keep changing bases only scopes.

scrapcan
12-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Bullshop,

does your base have small spots where the rings are to be mounted or is it just a long scope rail with parallel sides? Look at the link at brownells, you will see what I mean.

I mentioned the winchester as it had somewhat longer intermediate base and a short base at rear and a short base for the front sight. They were separate bases, but they had the ring locator notching, for lack of correct terminology. It sounds like your long rail is not like that.

I think you could find a set of nice clamp rings that will work for you, not just any old 22 rings and they may not stay tight under field use. Try a set of quality 22 rings to see if it will work out. Then you could use an intermediate or long eye relief scope. Or maybe a 4 or 6 power shotgun scope.

Just thoughts.

scrapcan
12-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Bullshop,

You might see what you can find as far as POSA style bases.

Unertl had the vulcan series scopes ( I think that was what it was called) That used a single long scope rail for a base. I have not seen one, bu that might be hat you have.

Could it be a piece of universal base stock that was machined to fit the rifle you have?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=40900/Product/DOVETAIL_SCOPE_BASE_STOCK

Doc Highwall
12-21-2010, 01:31 PM
BullShop, I think what you are looking for are the rings that Redfield made for the Redfield 3200 target scopes. Google Garry Fellers he handles old scopes and rings.

Bullshop
12-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Yesterday I tried a ring for a grooved 22 receiver and it came very close to fitting. It did not tighten enough to lock on tightly but that can be fixed. The rings I tried were as cheap as rings get, a $3.00 set from CDNN so a good set may work without any help.
This is a 22 hornet so recoil should not present a problem.
I want to be able to do some bench testing with the Unertl then make a quick swap to a field scope. The Unertls have gotten so expensive I dont want to take any chances with it.

Bullshop
12-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Doc I think you are right. I wouldnt mind having one of those 3200's either!