PDA

View Full Version : 22 Remington Jet

pcox
10-21-2006, 06:01 AM
I just bought a Harrington & Richardson Model 148 with three barrels—30-30, .410, and 22 Remington Jet. I bought it for the 30-30, but now what do I do with the Jet barrel? I think I can find brass and reload for the Jet (I found one box of loaded ammo, 50 shells for $85). Or, perhaps I could have the barrel bored and chambered for 357 magnum. I’d rather have the 357 magnum, but the 22 Jet bore is awfully clean.

Any thoughts on which way I should go, and why?

Pat in VA

kywoodwrkr
10-21-2006, 08:14 AM
Pat,
First of all welcome to the cast boolits board.
secondly, brass is available from Black Hills Shooters Supply I believe and probably other sources.
If not RCBS has a 22 Jet forming dies set .
It takes 357 Magnum brass and sizes it down to jet dimensions in three steps.
Easy forming process. I've even been able to make some.
I don't have a jet but always wanted one.
Even have the ingredients to make up a Harvey K Chuk for a S&W pistol.
I mention this because it is stated that it was the basis for the development of the jet.
I don't know, I wasn't there! :-|
You can always trade the barrel for what you want.
Not sure how common the jet barrel is.
Were it me, I'd use the jet as is, but I like those little cartridges.
Bottom line is lack of jet cases isn't a problem.

45 2.1
10-21-2006, 09:45 AM
Don't change the Jet barrel, its hard to find. If you don't want it, i'll buy it off you. For brass, you don't need form dies, 256 Win mag brass is a one step size in the Jet full length die or 357 mag brass neck sized in a 30 luger or mauser die, then in the full length Jet die. Easy to do.

Bent Ramrod
10-21-2006, 12:59 PM
You might want to slug the bore of that rifle barrel if you plan to use it. Original S&W Jet revolvers were bored 0.222" to accomodate .22RF ammo by the use of inserts and a dual firing pin. You could get by with 0.223" Hornet bullets but 0.224" standard .22 varmint bullets were a little biggish for the gun, especially at the pressures it operated at. Your barrel might be 0.222", or, more likely a standard 0.224". Hornady makes a .22 Jet bullet of the proper size, if you need it.

9.3X62AL
10-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Another WELCOME ABOARD here, Pat.

Being a pretty enthusiastic rat zapper, I wouldn't turn losse of that 22 Rem Jet barrel without giving it a good test drive. A good, accurate rifle in a cartridge of this class is a valued tool for sorting out vermin. I still have 22 Hornet dies, with the idea that some day I might like to explore that caliber in a good rifle.

Willbird
10-21-2006, 01:53 PM
They also made a "super jet" which is a wildcat blown out to get rid of that silly case taper.

out of a rifle taking a wild guess I would think a 22 jet would perform about like a 221 fireball, but having a rimmed case is a LOT nicer for the single shot action.

Bill

Bullshop
10-21-2006, 02:31 PM
I'll buy it, trade for it, what ever.
BIC/BS

floodgate
10-21-2006, 06:30 PM
I had an 8-3/8" S&W Model 53 conversion to the Cotterman "Super Jet" (actually did the reaming myself, and it came out pretty well). It was certainly a more attractive cartridge than the original, for what that's worth). But both were too much for use in a revolver. Factoru loads or equally hot reloads wouls burn the back face of the barrel tenon away in a few hundred rounds, making an already appallingly loud (EH? What say??) cartridge even LOUDER.

But in a Handi-rifle, it wiould be a real sweet combination. (Hmmm... I might even have a few cases still lying around....)

floodgate

kywoodwrkr
10-21-2006, 07:17 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=58939773
www.reedsammo.com
357 brass is going for about 4 cents a round.
400 cases and you pay for the forming dies.
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7677416
Brass is $27/c on Reeds website FWIW
DaveP kywoodwrkr

pcox
10-22-2006, 06:15 AM
Thanks for your replies. I will definitely leave the Jet barrel as-is, and get some brass and dies on order. I think slugging the bore is a must—I’m hoping for .224, but only time will tell.

As for the 357 magnum, I guess I will have to keep my eyes open for another barrel or rifle (darn the luck!).

Pat

kywoodwrkr
10-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Pat,
I agree having to wait and look for another barrel is Terrible.
I've found that the hurt can be diminsished if you start buying accessories first.
Moulds, dies etc and then and only then take on the pain of another shooting instrument! :-)
I finally found myseld a nice Stevens 23D a year or so ago.
I've got contender barrels in 221 and 222 as well.
Guess you just can't have too many, especially as I said, you buy accessories early and really need a use for them.
Sounds like you have stumbled onto a very desirable combination.
Good luck in your quest.
DaveP kywoodwrkr

NickSS
10-22-2006, 08:21 PM
I had an H&R rifle in 22 Jet some time ago it was a great woodchuck and varmint busting round. I used 22 hornet 40 and 45 gr bullets in it and they worked just great. I sold it only because I wanted a repeater. I have grown up a lot since then and would love to get another barrel to fit my handy rifle in that caliber.

Firebird
10-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Remington made a run of 22 Jet brass last spring, Grafs (http://www.grafs.com/grafs/search/product/45091) say it's still in stock. Remington does this every now and then, like Winchester does for it's "seasonal" availability brass.

Explorer1
10-22-2006, 11:28 PM
I have a set of RCBS Jet dies for sale. May also have some brass, but someone else has first option on it.

bob@pnwsolutions.com