PDA

View Full Version : Not As Good A Gelitan Block

wcshooter
05-22-2005, 02:50 AM
take a 1/2 gal cardbard milk carton open it up all the way. Cut newsprint to fit inside. compress everything and fill it full of water. let it absorb the water compress again and add more newsprint if you can. when all is ready set up at your test distance. you only get one shot so make it count. works well for hand guns. haven't tried it on hi-vel rifle yet. maybe someone could try on post the results.

Bass Ackward
05-22-2005, 08:39 AM
take a 1/2 gal cardbard milk carton open it up all the way. Cut newsprint to fit inside. compress everything and fill it full of water. let it absorb the water compress again and add more newsprint if you can. when all is ready set up at your test distance. you only get one shot so make it count. works well for hand guns. haven't tried it on hi-vel rifle yet. maybe someone could try on post the results.

WC,

What are you trying to do with it? Handguns are one thing. Rifles often require some expansion to be effective and require a different strategy to provide reliable information.

If you just want to see a bullet, you can use nothing but wet newsprint. Just bail it and chuck it in water over night and go for it. No cutting necessary, just some string. Shoot it as many times as you like. This will stop a bullet by adding enough thickness. But wet newsprint is only good for non expanding bullets, it is of little value in expansion testing for work on game because 1. there is no way to guage shock and 2. not too many animals are solid.

First off there is no fool proof testing method.

My method works for both expanding and non expanding type situations. I use appropriate amounts of wet newsprint and bone to simulate "the entrance into game" ONLY. Then water in milk jugs to see what kind of shock that expanded / not expanded bullet will deliver inside the animal and how it held together passing through the bone.

Since the water will continue bullet expansion, the resulting bullet appearance is of little use for predictions of expansion on game except .... for cases where no expansion is wanted at all. The real value is for weight retention.

If I can see the first milk jug explode, then I have enough shock to burst lungs. If the first jug doesn't burst and simply splits, then I know the bullet must kill through bleed out only. If that bullet has a large enough meplat by design, then that can be accomplished. But if I was relying on expansion like from a rifle, I either need to change my bullet hardness, strike velocity (distance limits), or avoid shot angles hitting that size bone. This can be all be determined by further testing.

The rest of the milk jugs simply help me determine my ability to penetrate with shock which helps answer any limits on shot angles. Penetration in game will always be farther than the distance in water unless more big bone is encountered. I simply avoid that angle shot.

wcshooter
05-23-2005, 01:31 AM
In my other life I agree with BASS ACKWARD but I forgot to mention The wc in wcshooter stands for wheelchair and the milk cartons are not very heavy. Can't carry to much weight when wheeling through grass. Sorry for the missing info guys.

Bass Ackward
05-24-2005, 05:33 PM
In my other life I agree with BASS ACKWARD but I forgot to mention The wc in wcshooter stands for wheelchair and the milk cartons are not very heavy. Can't carry to much weight when wheeling through grass. Sorry for the missing info guys.

WC,

Sorry that I didn't pick up on that. I was thinking about WC as in Europe which stands for bathroom. I have an uncle n law that both shoots and hunts from his bathroom. He owns 1/4th acre and has shot just about every thing imaginable from there. Lives on a mountain in Montana and has that typical, western .... quietness about him. Go figure.

Glad you found a system that works for you. Necessity is .............

Slowpoke
05-24-2005, 10:47 PM
WC,

So who's the father ?? :)

45nut
05-25-2005, 12:19 AM
I was thinking wcshooter was "wild-cat-shooter" myself. Main thing is that you DO shoot,and enjoy life smelling burnt powder from your guns.

wills
05-25-2005, 07:45 AM
WC,

Sorry that I didn't pick up on that. I was thinking about WC as in Europe which stands for bathroom. I have an uncle n law that both shoots and hunts from his bathroom. He owns 1/4th acre and has shot just about every thing imaginable from there. Lives on a mountain in Montana and has that typical, western .... quietness about him. Go figure.

That seems efficient. SWMBO tells me I need to learn to “multi - task”

MT Gianni
05-25-2005, 07:25 PM
Paco Kelly on the old sixguns site wrote about using cheap canned tomatoes for bullet testing. Get 5 or 6 and tape them together with 1/4 " plywood circles in between them. Reduce your load to its' estimated striking velocity and set up at 25 yards. The splatter should clear and it's biodegradable. Gianni.

Bullshop
05-25-2005, 08:47 PM
Paco Kelly on the old sixguns site wrote about using cheap canned tomatoes for bullet testing. Get 5 or 6 and tape them together with 1/4 " plywood circles in between them. Reduce your load to its' estimated striking velocity and set up at 25 yards. The splatter should clear and it's biodegradable. Gianni.
I have not actualy tried this but have often thought of using bread dough as a test media. No nead for yeast just flour and water should come close to the consistancy of live tissue. My idea is to use an old truck/tractor inner tube(free) this is the hide. Cut open a large peace and use it to line a box then fill with dough. Add bone to tast. Add some magizines to simulate tougher tissue. A wood top should keep everything in. 50 lds flour will run ya about $15.00 Seems reasonable to me and 50 lbs should be enough to teach you alot about how boolits will act in tissue. If somebody tries it I would like to hear about it.
BIC/BS

carpetman
05-25-2005, 09:26 PM
I think putting bread dough in an inner tube would look like a great big doughnut and you'd draw in so many cops you would probably get arrested if you shot at it. Some things they can't just stand by and watch.

Scrounger
05-25-2005, 09:44 PM
I think putting bread dough in an inner tube would look like a great big doughnut and you'd draw in so many cops you would probably get arrested if you shot at it. Some things they can't just stand by and watch.

Now I got to give you credit for this one, it is funny. I award you the Gold Star(fruit)...http://photos.gunloads.com/images/Scrounger/starfruitv.jpg

Scrounger
05-25-2005, 11:58 PM
So who's the father ?? :)

What!! You mean StarMetal didn't claim that, too????