PDA

View Full Version : T/C Cherokee, a saga

Czech_too
12-18-2010, 06:22 PM
This past summer I was expressing my interest in possibly acquiring and shooting a black powder rifle, something I hadn't yet gotten into. My interest up to that point had been the T/C Contender in various cartridges and some Mauser style military rifles. I had looked at some of the older T/C catalogs and thought the the System 1 might be worth looking at but I found very little as far as availability. I was looking for something which would be of a smaller caliber to start with and yet offer the possibility of stepping up to something larger down the line should I find that this was something I wanted to stay with. The BP gods must have been looking my way when a recent acquintance asked me if I would be interested in a .32 Cherokee in kit form. He knew someone who had one and hadn't done anything with it since the day he bought it. Upon seeing said kit I handed over the cash and within a few days I had finished it enough that I could put some lead down range. I was hooked, although I hadn't planned on the additional outlay of cash for all the accessories. Fast forward to yesterday and the purchase of a used, but in VG condition, barrel in .45 caliber and the arrival of a Maxi-ball mould to go along with it.

I've found that 36 grains of FFFg under a RB in the .32 seems to be the 'sweet spot', now to do some work using the .45 in both RB and Maxi. I look forward to it.

45nut
12-18-2010, 06:39 PM
nice score!

rhbrink
12-18-2010, 06:57 PM
Welcome to the muzzleloader fraternity! See that you are shooting "Holy Black" too, great don't let anybody fool you into shooting that expensive artifical powder its just a passing fancy anyway.

Czech_too
12-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Now if I can only find a .32 Maxi-ball mould, that would complete the package.

Wouldn't be surprised if a BP revolver finds a place in the safe some time soon.

12-18-2010, 10:57 PM
Czech_too
That is a very good looking TC. Reminds me of both their finished and kit form guns from the late 60s early 70s.

dualsport
12-19-2010, 03:57 AM
Beautiful setup you got there. It looks like you're set to me. I have the little .32 Cherokee and it's sweet. Always lusted for the .45 barrel and that .32 Maxi mold too. It's scarce as hen's teeth, but there are alternatives. It appears in the photo you got one with the double set triggers, very nice. I'm told they dropped that feature during production. Mine shoot's .315 round balls very accurately, will brain a jack rabbit at 50 yds. easy. Lights out.

Greg in Malad
12-19-2010, 04:38 PM
The seneca and cherokee are my favorite front stuffers, something about the way they fit and balance. I lucked out and found a .36 maxi mold in swapping and selling. for a .32 maxi you might be better off to have one custom built, or a group buy. I've seen used molds sell for $100 on evil bay, a 5-cavity NOE for the same price sounds like the way to go.

dualsport
12-20-2010, 01:53 AM
Yep, carrying that little Cherokee feels like a Red Ryder but it sure packs a lot more wallop.

Czech_too
12-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Thanks for all the kind words, if it isn't already obvious, I am quite happy with this setup.
It's supposed to hit 30 tomorrow, so if the wind isn't blowing to hard I'll be paying a visit to the range. It may be a short visit but just the same.