PDA

View Full Version : Some lead-some heat-a mold-priceless

snuffy
12-18-2010, 03:36 PM
I love it when a plan works out!

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/cannont2ifolder/websize/IMG_0234.JPG

Ruger 44 mag. SBH, 10.5", distance 50 ft., boolit lee C430-310-RF GC, Blu dot @11.7 grains. Winchester brass, WWLRP, lee dies with a redding profile crimper. Lyman claims this load should push their 300 grainer @ 895. Can't wait for summer to run it over the chrono.

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/cannont2ifolder/websize/IMG_0240.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/cannont2ifolder/websize/IMG_0242.JPG

These were "dipped" in LLA up to just below the lowest crimp grove, then set on wax paper to dry. I slugged the chamber throats, and the BBL. both were right at .431. The boolits drop at .4325, so I needed a .431 sizer. Gas checked with Hornady checks.

I didn't have a Lyman in .431, but did have a lee @ .429. So I rigged a hardwood dowel with a slot cut in it, wrapped with emery paper. It's called "medium grit, it looks like 320 grit. A tril and error with scrap boolits got me right @ .431.

The dipping method is slow as watching grass grow, but it results in the narrow lube groove being filled as well as the area right in front of the gas check. LLA is just as it comes from the bottle, leaving a thick coating in one pass.

Load developement started at 10.5 grains with the best being the max 11.7. Some will say these are frosted, well so be it! They are also well filled out and consistant in weight. Alloy is range lead with about 1.5% tin added, haven't checked the BHN yet. Temp of the alloy was 695. Mold shot with laser temp gauge from HF was 380ish.

I'm lovin it, just cast a big batch with the same pot-o-lead, now to get them lubed. Should take about a 2 hour movie in front of the boob-tube tonight.

Oh, the target was used for .22 league practice, they're free, and if ya can't tell where ya hit with a 44, what cha doin shootin?

NHlever
12-18-2010, 05:18 PM
It looks like you are well on your way to a very good load for the Super Blackhawk! I haven't used that boolit, but I have used the .45 caliber one, and I found that they needed all the velocity they could get to stabilize at 50 yards, or more. Keep us posted on how that works out for you. I would like that mold for my .44's if it works out well.

Bass Ackward
12-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Congratulations!

Now back up.

Always work up your loads to the max range you intend to use them.

snuffy
12-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Now back up.

Always work up your loads to the max range you intend to use them.

Ummm, I thought I said that---

Load developement started at 10.5 grains with the best being the max 11.7.

Thought so. It was 10.5, 10.9, 11.3, ending at the lyman max of 11.7. The cases fell from the chamber with a slight tap from the ejector rod.

It looks like you are well on your way to a very good load for the Super Blackhawk! I haven't used that boolit, but I have used the .45 caliber one, and I found that they needed all the velocity they could get to stabilize at 50 yards, or more. Keep us posted on how that works out for you. I would like that mold for my .44's if it works out well.

I kinda wondered about longer range stability. Lyman says they used a 4" universal receiver for their velocity tests. So my 10.5 incher should top that by quite a bit. IF I can get through foot deep snow with 3' drifts, I may try 'em at 50 tomorrow.

canyon-ghost
12-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Just gotta love a good Ruger. My 41 Blackhawk surprises me in what it will do. Very little load work and it will hit at 100 meters from a 6&1/2" barrel. I've been missing all the fun, glad I found out!

Ron

stubert
12-18-2010, 08:41 PM
I shoot that same boolit in my 1985 Redhawk, most accurate one i have, I am loading 20.3 gr. of WW296 loaded to 1.71 oal. lyman orange magic lube. my 50 yard groups look like that. It's a great boolit.

RP
12-18-2010, 09:12 PM
well you do alot better to than I am maybe I just cant shoot.

Landric
12-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Interested in a group buy to give you more options with the same basic boolit?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=100849

WHITETAIL
12-19-2010, 08:23 AM
snuffy, Great job.
Keep us abrest of further tryouts.
:castmine:

snuffy
12-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Landric, I'm in on two group buys right now that should launch pretty soon. If they're out of the way before yours goes to production, I may go for one of them too. A lot depends on my job, IF I still have one by this summer. A nice deep HP on one of those would lighten it up some, might be able to break 1200 fps!

I chickened out on the range trip today. The older I get the less I want to stick my neck out over possibly getting stuck, needing a tow. Just not worth it.

Stubert, I gotta try some 296/H-110 for these. They should go out @ 1000 or maybe more.

Canyon ghost, that SBH is over 35 Y.O. I bought it used in 1975, then shot out the original 7.5 barrel with too much WW-630, well the cylinder gap got huge from flame cutting. I had the boys at Ruger put on a 10.5, I was into IMHSA then, used it for production standing. I had to replace the BBL again just a couple of years ago, working with WC-820 and 250 grain lead took a chunk out of the barrel extension. You DON'Tuse WW-296 data for WC-820!:groner: