PDA

View Full Version : BBL temp and lube??

buck1
05-22-2005, 01:48 AM
I have been making a .308WIN singleshot my seemingly life long project.
Its finally standing on it own, most of the time with #7.
I start off with a warm up shot, then slow fire 3 shot groups. I allow the BBL to cool a coupple of min between groups.
I have found that CBs HATE even slightly hot bbls. I use FWFL and it works well. But after a coupple of groups I have to wait for ever between shots to keep groups from going real bad real quick (3" high hits at 100yd from one shot to the next.).
I wonder if LBT Blue would handle the temp a LITTLE longer/ better, maybe allow me to finish a group????
Your thoughts??? Thanks...Buck

Bass Ackward
05-22-2005, 10:38 AM
I have found that CBs HATE even slightly hot bbls.

I wonder if LBT Blue would handle the temp a LITTLE longer/ better, maybe allow me to finish a group????
Your thoughts??? Thanks...Buck

Buck,

The short answer is maybe.

LBT Blue is a good hot weather lube.

Lube always requires a balance. That balance is changed by fouling and .... temperature. That can be ambient temperature or shooting temperature. You can also compensate by having a bullet design carry more lube. Or carry lube farther up the bullet like a Loverin.

That's why no one lube solves everyone's problems. But any lube with lanolin in it makes a good hot weather lube with more added as necessary. So FWFL lube can be as good as any with a little more Lanolin. The down side is that Lanolin makes crappy cold weather lube and first shot lube especially. And it shows up fast with purge fliers.

So the short answer is maybe.

But if your barrel is hot, then your throat is hotter. Lead will seldom ruin a barrel, but powder blast on a hot throat is the fastest way to erosion there is. Better to cool the gun than find a red hot lube. Patience.

Added:

One other trick I use but forgot about until after I posted this was to coat your bullets in liquid Alox and let them dry. Then apply your other lube. The Lee Manual advertises you can melt the bullet under it before the lube cooks. Just an idea.

buck1
05-22-2005, 09:36 PM
Thanks Bass!! ...buck