PDA

View Full Version : Is Casting your own worth it anymore?

1bluehorse
12-16-2010, 02:11 PM
About all I cast for anymore are 45 colt, with some 38, 44 and a few 458's thrown in. Due to the difficulty obtaining inexpensive (read cheap or free) WW, and the cost of commercial alloys with shipping I'm just not sure it's worth it anymore. I've been thinking of selling off my casting equipment and just buying commercially made cast boolits. A little rough arithmetic tells me alloy at $2 a pound (minus shipping) will net me 500 255gr. boolits at a cost of $35. I can buy 500 commercial cast for $42 sorta locally. (no shipping) I live in a small rural community with two tire stores, one doesn't use lead weights anymore (Les Schwab) so all they will have are takeoffs, which are becoming fewer and fewer. The last bucket I got from them was about half usable. The other is a Goodyear store (where I buy my tires) and when I asked the owner about selling WW, his words, "the last I sold was for $1 a lb so I think I'll keep storing what I get and see what happens to prices." Well okay..Might add, being a small town I know these guys personally, and they're all nice folks, just doing what they need to do. I'm not shooting near as much as I used to, a couple hundred a month would be about average with an occasional get together with some buddys to "fill the air with gunsmoke" :Fire:and see how far out we can hit the mtys'.:drinks: Tell me if I'm missing something..

sargenv
12-16-2010, 02:37 PM
I got into this game within the last 2 years.. all I have ever known is WW's purchased here, and other alloys going for as much as $2 a pound.. is it worthit to me? It's worth it to me because I can make exactly what I want (40 cal long roundnose) that no one sells anywhere. I have access to berm lead so some of my costs are a bit lower. My only sources for ww's has been people from this forum.. Linotype, and a few other alloys also. So if you are a low volume reloader/shooter I can see how it is not worth it.. for me, I fire as many as 20-25 thousand rounds a year in various calibers.. the 9 into 40 bullets are costing me maybe a few pennies each in propane and some time putting them together.. the 40 cal RN's I shoot are about 50-50 berm lead to WW's and cost me roughly $.04 ea.. if I wanted to get an inferior shaped bullet of the same weight, it would likely cost me about double that.. and if I wanted jacketed bullets in the same weight, likely triple the $.04 or more. So for me.. yep, it's worth every penny. :)

The one thing I'd save if I were buying commercially made alloys is time, propane, parrafin, and flake flux.. and currently I have an abundance of three of the four.. (time, flake flux, and parrafin). When making your own you get exactly what you want.. with buying commercial, you get what they want to sell you.. I prefer the former over the latter.. also if they go out of business, you need to find a different source.. I've had to do that a couple of times in my reloading career.. it's irritating so I prefer to make my own.

Guesser
12-16-2010, 02:56 PM
I cast primarily because I want boolits of types that are not readily available commercially unless a custom caster and then I pay a premium price for a not always premium boolit. I size my boolits to fit my guns, I don't want to pay someone else to do this. Many of my favorite molds are long obsolete Ideal single cavity designs. Thats why I cast my own. Even if I get to the point of buying alloy, I'll still drop my own boolits.

Springfield
12-16-2010, 03:02 PM
You can buy lead on this forum for a lot less than 2.00/lb that is plenty good for most pistol bullets.

koehn,jim
12-16-2010, 03:11 PM
I shoot and collect military surplus, mostly European and the selection of commercial bullets is not that great, so yes casting is well worth it. If you just look at it from a dollar amt it might be better to buy cheap cast stuff but will the quality be as good as what you make yourself, I think not. By making your own to can tailor the bullet to the gun for optimun accuracy.

prs
12-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Springfield is correct. His outfit can help ya fer shure and another sponsor has a USPO flat rate shipping box offer for 68# delivered to your door for less than $1.18 per pound. Heck, its worth $80.00 to see the look on the postman's face when he delivers that little box; "What 'ntarnation is in thar!". But if you are tiring of the game, I can see selling your kit and having the money to do what you like better.

prs

Von Gruff
12-16-2010, 04:02 PM
It depends on whether you are just talking the financial cost or including all the enjoyment ( and some frustrations - that may or may not be enjoyable) that goes with casting. Even if it was on a cost par with 'store bought' the ability to customise for your own guns, added to all the endorfin factors associated with casting your own would always have the ledger factored toward casting your own.
As for contemplating selling your gear.
Dont do it. You will find alloy. The dark days will pass. You can get through this.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

[smilie=w:

:castmine:

Von Gruff.

fredj338
12-16-2010, 04:13 PM
I enjoy casting, but if I ahd to pay much more than $1.50/#, I would not cast my plinking/practice bullets. Just not worth the time at that price. Fortunately, I have quite a bit of alloy hoarded up & always on the lookout for more, but the days of cheap & free are pretty much done, at least out here in Kommifornia.

snuffy
12-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Tell everybody in that small town you want lead. Then stand back, rake it in! It'll come when you least expect it.

Then observe and ask questions. I asked if I could clean the bullet trap at my club. This is about half of what resulted.

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/arrow/websize/P4110001.JPG

One day a guy at work that I had shown a couple of boolits to said; "they're scrapping a delta drill, that counterweight is lead"! Result was 13 of these,(90# each).

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/terrysoops/websize/P2130004.JPG

Combined I have over a ton of usable lead. Most is soft, so I need tin and some linotype to alloy it. I got a call from a buddy at a flea market, he had spotted a pig of lino for sale for $20.00. I said buy it, I'll pay you back.

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/arrow/websize/P1160030.JPG

It's the full length one that's a dull color. The other chunks were an ebay purchase, I think it's a mix of spacers and letter bars, that would make it about 18-19 BHN instead of the good lino @ 22-23 BHN.

Bottom line is keep the faith, ask around, keep pouring boolits. AND don't nickle and dime yourself, pay what you have to.

curiousgeorge
12-16-2010, 05:14 PM
When I started casting it was strictly for the money savings (read that as very little money due to being young with a wife and 2 little kids). Lead was free, lots more time than money, would even become a social occasion when 3 or 4 would get together for a casting session. A few of us would go in together and buy the things we needed and share everything. All of that has pretty much changed now. Not enough spare time, friends don't reload anymore, kids grown and gone, wife now scared silly that grandkids will be affected by my melting lead (didn't seem to mind so much when the kids helped me since it kept them out of her way for awhile!!). I have even considered selling the casting stuff and buying like you mentioned.

BUT and this is a really big BUT, this is something that I really, really enjoy. The day that it becomes drudgery instead of relaxing is the day that I will sell it all. I like to make my own bullets, especially the ones that I hunt with. I like to be self-sufficient and feel like I don't have to depend on others for at least some things. And besides, I have spent a long time accumulating all the molds, lead, and equipment and would truly hate to part with it. Maybe that's just a selfish pride thing. And yes I know that someday everything I have will belong to someone else or just be tossed, but until that day comes I intend to keep on casting.

Steve

HammerMTB
12-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Like you, I live in WA and I think the days of picking up WW from the tire store are pretty much over.
I'm turning my attention to roofers, gun club berms, and the like.
I cast for several reasons: Some stuff I shoot can't readily be bought cast. Cost- as long as I can find cheap lead, I can shoot that for much less than I can buy it. Last, I like to tinker with different boolits, and I can't do that by buying slugs from others. So I'll keep pouring my own, but finding lead will get a bit harder as time goes by. I am hoarding my zinc WW in case that becomes an option.
It's a crazy obsession, that's for sure! [smilie=w:

Rangefinder
12-16-2010, 05:28 PM
At 3.5 cents a pop for my handguns, I can't afford NOT to cast! Stay vigilant, keep looking for that golden egg (lead egg in our case), and it will land in your lap when you least expect it. Then you'll be asking "why did I ever doubt?"

1bluehorse
12-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Springfield is correct. His outfit can help ya fer shure and another sponsor has a USPO flat rate shipping box offer for 68# delivered to your door for less than $1.18 per pound. Heck, its worth $80.00 to see the look on the postman's face when he delivers that little box; "What 'ntarnation is in thar!". But if you are tiring of the game, I can see selling your kit and having the money to do what you like better.

prs

I'm not tired of casting, I'm just tired of trying to find lead to do it. I wasn't aware someone here was selling it. All others have given really good reasons for casting their own, but the only thing I do "special" is a couple GC molds, the rest are pretty generic. I probably still have 100lbs or so of WW but I've kinda been hoarding them cause' replacement seemed like it was going to be more expensive than just buying "store bought." Thats also kept me from shooting as much as I used to. For what it's worth, the bullets that I have purchased in the past (lazercast)(beartooth) are as good or better than anything I make. Most are a little harder than I like though. Thanks for the encourgement, you all have talked me into staying the course a while longer, we'll see how it goes. I'll try ordering some lead here, who's selling it?

1bluehorse
12-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Snuffy, you should change yer handle to "Lucky"

CiDirkona
12-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Now that I've built up a decent lead farm, free versus $53 is an easy call to make for 1K bullets. I can't afford to NOT cast anymore.

JeffinNZ
12-16-2010, 07:18 PM
I can't speak for those in the US but I know for sure if I didn't cast in NZ I sure wouldn't be doing much shooting. Jacketed projectiles are just getting too expensive.

Adk Mike
12-16-2010, 07:30 PM
I've been casting for 30 years and I have never paid a dime for lead never. I let people know and I ask. It just come my way. I also own at least 1000 lbs. I shot my US 1917 over a thousand time this past year. It never would have happened with jacketed bullets. MIKE

prs
12-16-2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the encourgement, you all have talked me into staying the course a while longer, we'll see how it goes. I'll try ordering some lead here, who's selling it?

Springfield in the post ro two above mine said he could take care of ya. I know his reputation is good for cast BP boolits. I didna know he sold the lead. The place I used is a board sponsor too;

www.LEADandBRASS.com

There is a link to their business at the top of each page here, its the black one.

prs

Blammer
12-16-2010, 09:31 PM
If I look at all the moulds I have bought for this "saving money" then No, I'd be way better off just buying some bullets.

sooooooooo, I just don't look. :)

fredj338
12-16-2010, 10:07 PM
I've been casting for 30 years and I have never paid a dime for lead never. I let people know and I ask. It just come my way. I also own at least 1000 lbs. I shot my US 1917 over a thousand time this past year. It never would have happened with jacketed bullets. MIKE
THe only alloy I used to buy was Linotype. Now, even getting a place to sell you ww out here is like finding an honest Demcrat in office. So I will soon be reduced to mining my clubs range. I am down to around 1300# or so of mixed alloys. At my current shooting rate, it will probably out last me, but one never knows where shooting sports take you.

EDK
12-16-2010, 10:30 PM
I cast because I couldn't get the boolits that I wanted...even before my horizons were really widened with all the group buy moulds here. The current 44 HBWC offered by Miha will be my third 44 wadcutter mould...something I couldn't ever think of having 10 or 20 years ago.

Like others here, I hit the tire shops...not much luck...and scrap yards when I have a few dollars to spare. My big lead source for the future will be to mine my backstop down the hill from the house.

Off Topic: I'm Blue Roan, SASS alias, after my late Appaloosa gelding. He had a massive heart attack and had to be put down at age 34...got him as a yearling in 1972. Looked like yours with black points.

:redneck::cbpour::Fire:

Charlie, AKA The Deacon
12-17-2010, 01:49 AM
I got into casting, cause I see it as another part of my reloading process, large variety of boolit's to choose from and the independence it gives you. I do feel that casting my own has saved me money and allowed me to shoot alot more. :Fire:

blaster
12-17-2010, 02:50 AM
if yer asking,,, you should hang it up.

lwknight
12-17-2010, 03:26 AM
I cast because the wife puts the TV on dancing with the stars or some equally goofy girly show and I have to get out of the house till its over.

ihmsakiwi
12-17-2010, 03:39 AM
I can't speak for those in the US but I know for sure if I didn't cast in NZ I sure wouldn't be doing much shooting. Jacketed projectiles are just getting too expensive.

IHMSA club day tomorrow and I will throw about 300 rounds down range in 357and 7mm, 30 cal and .22 centerfire. Sure as eggs couldn't do that with shop bought projectiles very often at the prices we pay in New Zealand. Peter.
ps.......besides nothing beats shooting great scores with "roll-your-owns".

cutter_spc
12-17-2010, 03:42 AM
Well If I was looking at saving money I would be better off selling all of my loading equipment too, I don't think I have ever saved a dime loading or casting my own, but it is my hobby and I enjoy it.

a.squibload
12-17-2010, 03:42 AM
... I'll try ordering some lead here, who's selling it?

Look in the Vendor Sponsors and Swappin and Sellin forums.

Bret4207
12-17-2010, 07:58 AM
It all depends if you LIKE casting to start with. I do. And considering my experience with commercial castings (abysmal!) and the cost of jacketed there is simply no way I'll give it up.

45-70 Chevroner
12-17-2010, 08:28 AM
Don't give it up 1bluehorse! It might become a sickness and contagious then I would not have this great forum to read all the great threads and posts that all these guys come up with.

white eagle
12-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Is Casting your own worth it anymore?
YES

Bass Ackward
12-17-2010, 10:53 AM
I would say that there is a renaissance coming. And it is going to hit the rest of us eventually.

For guys in tough areas / states, they might need to learn to downsize when sending 1/2 lb down range isn't really necessary.

But I wouldn't sell my casting collection unless I decided to quit shooting and sold my guns. It ain't eatin nothin and it goes up in value over time.

Guys just need to start making contacts at truck stops, car junk yards, and any other sourse that is still going to bring lead in.

dverna
12-17-2010, 11:10 AM
I have not cast for many years but never got rid of my stuff. You just never know when you will need/want it.

I buy all my cast bullets and am happy doing that. At 60 and still working, my time is valuable. with cost of $75/1000 for excellent 45 bullets I will not cast. When I retire, things may change.

As a "puppy", the only way I could afford to shoot was to cast. I never found it "fun" feeding the .38 and I used a 10 cavity H&G to get production up - but it was "fun" getting a cast bullet to work in the .308.

I see myself casting for fun to get 38/55 and 45/70 loads that perform well. I will never cast pistol bullets unless it becomes a necessity for supply and/or cost reasons.

You will not get a lot of money for your used stuff. Oil/grease the molds and store everything away. Times change and not always for the better.

Don Verna

243winxb
12-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Casting & Reloading is a nice winter activity. If you have to buy alloy for casting plinking pistol bullets, i feel its to costly. I can still shoot 45acp/bullseye loads in my very old brass for less cost than a 555 round box of 22lr at the mart.

jonk
12-17-2010, 11:58 AM
I'll dig it out of the hill before I pay for it. In my experience, a 5 gallon bucket of range dirt from the backstop yields about 12 pounds of lead. I put a wire sifting mesh over my wheelbarrow and use a small garden rake to run it through. Then dump the dirt back in the bucket and return to range next trip.

Now mind you I have enough wheelweights for at least 10 years hoarded, so this isn't an issue in the immediate future, but in my past I have done this and will do so again if needed.

It's fairly soft as it is mainly from jacketed cores and .22 projectiles, but buying a little tin and antinomy to harden it up is cheaper than buying just commercial. And it is fine for pistols or muzzleloaders.

Plus commercially cast bullets generally have a poor fit to my bores, are too hard, and have a rock hard lube that only works under very high pressure. All of which spells leading. So I avoid them for most applications- though I do like the Hornady .314 HBWC swaged design.

Mk42gunner
12-17-2010, 09:10 PM
My take on it is that IF commercial cast bullets fit your gun, load and what you want to do; they can be a bargain. However, if you want something that is even slightly out of the ordinalry, (such as a 250 gr .431 dia SWC for a .44 mag) you need to cast your own boolits. The farther you get from "normal" handgun projectiles, the more it becomes cost effective to pour your own.

Robert

PAT303
12-18-2010, 04:54 AM
I collect range scrap,a few hours work nets me a bucket full ready to turn into boolits. Pat

buck1
12-18-2010, 10:01 AM
Go to the hospitil and ask for the radioactive medicin dept. Not Xray. Talk to the guy in that dept. You can get lead containers from him cheap. They are close to WW in hardness But the alloy casts a bit thicker . Or just buy them from muddy creek sam here on this fourm.

1bluehorse
12-18-2010, 01:21 PM
if yer asking,,, you should hang it up.

Now thats a good life trait. If you have to ask someones advise on whether to do something or not, just don't do it..problem solved. Hmmmm.

ambergrifleman
12-18-2010, 01:48 PM
I just like Casting Myself, Feel like a Old Time Buffalo Hunter in the 1870's.

WILCO
12-18-2010, 02:04 PM
I collect range scrap,a few hours work nets me a bucket full ready to turn into boolits. Pat

Yep. Me too. I spend about a half hour though.

Texasflyboy
12-18-2010, 02:19 PM
I used to cast to save money.

Then I cast because I needed more bullets to shoot then I could find locally.

Then I cast because the quality of my casting was better than I could find.

Now I realize that I have been casting all along because I like making things. Doesn't matter if its bullets or dinner, a day without making something is a wasted day for me. I hope to have a cast bullet (or round) in my pocket when I go meet my maker.

jeff423
12-18-2010, 02:35 PM
I got into casting thinking I could save money on the cost of bullets - ignoring the start-up costs. I probably did save some money.
After I got started I learned that I didn't like casting because it was too labor intensive for me - like loading on a single stage press. That is probably a reason that lots of people like it.
I would probably start casting again if there were a "progressive" casting system for about $600 - or if it were the only way I could get bullets.

Jeff

Leadmelter
12-18-2010, 09:07 PM
I cast because of poor supply of boolits in this area. Once I got a load of lead and reviewed the procedures, I was off and running. I picked up a few four cavity mold and got everything tuned up and I did a whole bunch this fall before the winter went south into the teens.
I don't watch much TV anymore and like tinkering with boolits.
As for talking to the Nuclear Medicine guy at the hospital or clinic, I was that guy for several years. The lead from those containers had alot of contamination with them with heavy dross. Unless they changed in the last 22 yrs be prepared for some major work to clean it up. Also, it should be checked to make sure it is not contaminated with some radioactive material.

Gerry

rockrat
12-19-2010, 12:36 AM
I first cast to save money, which I did, shooting thousands of rounds of 44 mag. Got to shooting 45-70 and those slugs were $$ also. I shoot alot of other big bores, so cast for them. 45 acp and 38sp/357mag I usually buy the boolits, as its not worth the time/effort right now (have moulds though).

Probably don't save much now, with all these GB moulds I have bought since coming to this site:), but its nice to go to the range and shoot and tell people I am shooting rifle rounds @2,400fps with no leading. They just shake their head when I tell them a box of '06 only cost me about $4 to load. Can't go to the sporting goods store and buy a box of 357 Max either.

Matt_G
12-19-2010, 11:35 AM
I cast because the wife puts the TV on dancing with the stars or some equally goofy girly show and I have to get out of the house till its over.

Yep, you can actually feel the respect and intelligence being sucked out of your body. [smilie=l:

Texasflyboy
12-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Yep, you can actually feel the respect and intelligence being sucked out of your body. [smilie=l:

There is a very good reason the power for both the Cable TV power supply and the Internet box is right next to my casting pot in the basement.

If I hear "Housewives of xyz" or "Pregnant stupid girls of MTV" on the TV chances are that breaker is going to get stuck in the tripped position all day.

"Honey I have no idea why the TV and Internet stopped working. Try using the antenna to see if PBS is still clear on the digital TV antenna."

:razz:

Markbo
12-21-2010, 06:56 PM
I started for the same reason I started reloading initally... cost savings. After the start up costs are absorbed and I could actually see a small bit of savings, it ceased to be about that. It is more about being just another part of the hobby I so dearly love. About being just a little more self sufficient. About adding to my lifelong list of things that I can do, build or make with my own hands. It is in no small part about learning... I am lucky in that I have never ceased wanting to learn. I always said if I could be paid to go to school I would be a lifelong student.

Nobody's paying for that service, so I seek out things of interest to learn about and there is a LOT to learn about making your own bullets! [smilie=w:

Beau Cassidy
12-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Does casting save money? Maybe but only after you amortize the cost of your equipment which might take a few years. What you buy/cast today also beats future inflation. If I had to re-buy most of my the equipment I have now I would think long and hard about casting.

What is the coolest thing about casting is it puts you in better touch with your ammo. You "own" what you are shooting.

Last spring I cast about 8K bullets and just loaded 4K .45's. Total investment for the .45's is probably $150 or less. I can't even fathom how much that would have cost if I had to buy the bullets either cast or jacketed.

bamacisa
12-27-2010, 09:30 PM
I cast bullets because it is fun and I don't have to rely on any body else to supply me with bullets. I got two five gallon buckets of wheel weights for free the other day. I already had about three hundred pounds in ingots. I purchased most of my molds and RCBS pro melt pot about twent years ago. Cost doesn't cross my mind. My biggest problem with casting is motivation. I just have to decide I want some more bullets and find the energy to get started. I am retired, so time is not a factor. To be honest, I enjoy casting bullets and have way more cast up than I need. I will probally cast some more soon just because it is fun and it gives me something to do. Maybe it is a sickness? (but I enjoy it)

Echo
12-28-2010, 01:00 PM
I started casting 45 years ago, with a cheap Lee outfit. Four lb pot on the stove, ladle, SC 140 gr SWC, pan for lube, and some lube. No loob grooves included, but I made do. Probably turned out terrible boolits, but I didn't know they were terrible, and shot them anyway.

Had a hiatus for a while, but am back into it, and do it to save money (not that I am shooting that much right now) and because I like it. I'm a techie at heart, and enjoy the process.

Regarding the price of lead - Forum member The Captain sells lead - I have purchased from her @ $48 for 50 lbs delivered (last I bought) and good stuff. My own limit is $1/lb delivered, and have purchased thusly on eBay.

runfiveswife
12-28-2010, 01:38 PM
We cant afford not to cast, With as much as the kids shoot we would not be able to keep up. not counting how much we shoot with out the kids, yes lead is hard to find but we get range scrap as much as we can, and no the tire shops around here will not give us the ww, but we always seem to have enough to make boolits when the kids and or us decide we want to shoot.

sargenv
12-28-2010, 01:40 PM
I think my original thought of $2/lb lead was nice new stuff available from Rotometals... obviously if we dig around, we can find all kinds of alloys cheaper.. my point was that even at that price.. I will continue to make what I want.. and not what someone decides to sell.. since the latter is likely not what I want. :)

old turtle
12-28-2010, 01:44 PM
The price of copper just went up greatly last week.

geargnasher
12-28-2010, 11:55 PM
I would cast my own if they cost more to make than factory-made jacketed bullets.

I'm sure the folks that swage their own condom bullets would say the same as well.

Gear

JIMinPHX
12-29-2010, 12:18 AM
When I first started to cast, it was to make ammo for less money. After that, I also began to do it because it allowed me to make custom sized boolits that would bring an old shot-out barrel back to regular use. After that, it was specialty boolit loads. Then the Obama ammo shortage happened & I was mostly unaffected. I could cast up boolits for whatever caliber I was short on. Not a single gun that I own ever ran dry. I am starting to thin out the molds & other items that I don't use very often, but I can't see myself giving up casting anytime in the near future. There are just too many reasons to stick with it.

Fixxah
12-29-2010, 12:29 AM
It keeps me busy and out of trouble. My wife doesn't understand my passion for guns, casting, and reloading. Not necessarily in that order.

Satisfaction is guaranteed when I roll my own.

*Paladin*
12-29-2010, 12:53 AM
I certainly hope it is, because I'm just getting started! I am also one of those "roll my own" kind of guys. I remember when I thought reloading was some kind of black art. Once I started to load my own, I felt that much more satisfaction in my shooting. I hope to feel even more satisfaction when shooting not only my own handloads, but with my own boolits as well. And I truely do take a great deal of pride in telling interested parties at the range that the nice group I fired was with my own ammo!

azcruiser
12-29-2010, 06:44 AM
casting is like reloading don't know anyone who saved money ,Heck were Americans we don't save money we spend it. Kidding Know a lot of people who reload and cast what hey do is
shoot more .Shoot more is good knowing you have the means to make your own bullets is nice
feeling when you go into the stores and the shelves are bare . You can get lead from people on this fourm for about $1.00 lb
PS I went to the gun shop today and paid $34.95 for 100 hornady jacketed 140 gr 6.5x 55 like to keep a few hundred j bullets loaded makes me feel good

evan price
12-29-2010, 07:56 AM
There's lots of lead sources. Where do you shoot your cast boolits? They don't evaporate. Find shooting ranges, trap/skeet clubs, etc. and buy the backstop lead. Most skeet clubs mine the fields every few years and they will sell the reclaim shot. I got a buddy at a junkyard who is saving me the battery terminal ends. A bucket of those when smelted is good ingots. Also check out anyplace that does stained glass. They get lots of extra trimmings and such. Keep an eye out at flea markets and garage sales for lead, solder, pewter, linotype. I picked up two partial rolls of plumbing solder for $2, there's easily 3-4 pounds of solder total, at a garage sale.

Just keep looking.

Ask around the recycling places what they pay for lead. Then ask what they sell it for. I always pay what they pay plus a bit more then my sources sell to me not them.

FISH4BUGS
12-29-2010, 08:22 AM
There is a very good reason the power for both the Cable TV power supply and the Internet box is right next to my casting pot in the basement.

If I hear "Housewives of xyz" or "Pregnant stupid girls of MTV" on the TV chances are that breaker is going to get stuck in the tripped position all day.

"Honey I have no idea why the TV and Internet stopped working. Try using the antenna to see if PBS is still clear on the digital TV antenna."

:razz:

I removed my TV 25 years ago. I have not had a TV in the house since then. My kids grew up without TV. I machine gunned my TV at the range.....it was very liberating.
I read a lot, listen to the radio and usually cast and reload with my spare time..... and have not missed a damn thing.
TV is truly one of the worst things that has happened to our society. It dulls the mind and makes you lazy. While there ARE some good things on TV, like the History Channel, PBS (sometimes) and sports, I am better off without it.....but to each their own.
My kids (now 30 and 24) think they lived a deprived childhood without TV.

Moonie
12-29-2010, 10:54 AM
I certainly hope it is, because I'm just getting started! I am also one of those "roll my own" kind of guys. I remember when I thought reloading was some kind of black art. Once I started to load my own, I felt that much more satisfaction in my shooting. I hope to feel even more satisfaction when shooting not only my own handloads, but with my own boolits as well. And I truely do take a great deal of pride in telling interested parties at the range that the nice group I fired was with my own ammo!

Casting and reloading is cheaper, casting and reloading is cheaper, casting and reloading is cheaper, casting and reloading is cheaper.

Tell yourself something enough times and you begin to believe it, besides, I have to keep telling SWMBO this or i might be in trouble...

dragonrider
12-29-2010, 01:38 PM
It is worth it to me because having the means to make boolits means I am never without boolits.

sleeper1428
12-29-2010, 01:47 PM
Like many others on this forum, I started casting as a cost saving measure. That was over 25 years ago and since that time, while I've probably saved a fair amount of money, casting has indeed become such an obsession that any savings I might have had are now being eaten up in the purchase of new moulds such as the brass beauties that Miha is now producing. And while I find myself shooting less as I progress into my mid-70s, I still cast just as much, if not more than I did a few years ago, to a point that I now have multiple boxes of boolits in multiple calibers just waiting to be loaded and fired. Looks as if my son and grandson won't have to do much casting for quite a few years! Yes, it is indeed an obsession, but to use the title of an old movie, it's a 'Magnificent Obsession'.

sleeper1428