PDA

View Full Version : RD .30 cal 165 in Winchester 94's?

Bula
12-16-2010, 01:03 PM
I was shooting the RCBS 180's up until recently. The big 'ol ogive took a little force to chamber. Several times, when unchambering a loaded round, the bullet stayed in the barrel and powder/case ejected normally. Not good, especially if your're out in the feild with no way to tap out stuck bullet.

Now to the point, I really dig the Ranch Dog .30 cal 165gr profile. But it seems most of the praise comes from the Marlin crowd. Any Winchester guys/gals shooting this bullet? I'm on the fence between this and the 311041 for hunting/plinking.

doubs43
12-16-2010, 01:26 PM
The two bullets offered by most makers of ammunition for the 30-30 are the 150 and 170 grain weights. While I've not used a 165 cast bullet in a 30-30, I have used them in other 30 caliber rifles with excellent results and they should - barring something unusual - be an excellent choice for your rifle.

It sure won't hurt to try them.

45r
12-16-2010, 01:32 PM
Sometimes a little firelapping will lenghthen and smooth out the throat to make a tight fitting boolit perfect.My MM 215GC boolit I had made for my 35 rem Marlin was a little tight on the Bore-rider but after a little lapping fit perfect with slight engraving and the bore-ride actually bore rides and shoots great even with AC WW in a microgroove barrel.I used a wadcutter boolit to lap,bore-rider boolit not good for lapping.If you find a good boolit for firelapping your Win it would shoot your RCBS boolits without debulleting and the ranch dog fine.The ranch dog boolit would probably make a good lapping boolit since it's not a bore-rider.I use BRP's 173GC boolit in my 30-30 Marlin and it shoots good even with it's microgroove barrel.It would probably shoot great in your Win with deeper rifling.

Tony65x55
12-16-2010, 07:52 PM
I shoot this bullet in my Marlins and my Winchesters. Very accurate and no problems to report. It is a very deadly bullet.

Marvin S
12-16-2010, 11:28 PM
I feel your pain. I now use the Ranch dogs in my Winchester 30-30 and 32-40 and they work great and you can say goodbye to the problems you mention.

Ranch Dog
12-17-2010, 12:15 AM
I might be a Marlin guy but my Dad has been a M94 guy and that is all he shot until this year. I bought a Glenfield 30GT earlier this year, asked my dad to walk out to the range and sight it in for me. He fell in love with the rifle for some reason and I can't get it back. Back to the question, my dad's M94 loved the TLC311 sized at .309". We use 36.0-grains of BL-C(2) in all our 30-30, five or six at last count and they all shoot extremely good. The only thing that might differ between them is the bullet sizing they like and OAL. I'm using .309, .310, and .311 among them. No rhyme or reason for the sizing, just what the individual rifle likes best. Same with the OAL. Whatever it takes to get it just off the rifling and then FCD it in place.

Bula
12-17-2010, 12:34 PM
That is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you all. Looks like I just found my next set of blocks.