PDA

View Full Version : Belated report on Camp Perry

trooperdan
10-18-2006, 10:48 PM
Hi guys, This is a late report on my adventures at Camp Perry for the CMP games this year. The matches were held in early August.. some of you might recall what the weather in the upper midwest was at that time! HOT HOT HOT oh and should I mention humid? Well it was that as well!

I last fired high power competitively in 1972 when my rich uncle was supplying the rifles and ammo. I had sighted my Springfield and Garand at 100 yards and fired a local Garand match so I wasn't very well prepared.

I arrived the last weekend in July and was staying in the barracks.. un-air conditioned barracks, just like back in basic! Oh well, what can you expect for $12 a night, right? :) I had signed up for the small arms school, training on and firing the M-16. I was disappointed by the "training' that consisted of sitting in the auditorium, watching some fairly interesting and educational presentations by AMU members. Then off to the range for about 20 rounds of sighters and firing for record at 200 yards! I swear the rifle I had had a quarter inch of slack when I rotated the barrel on the reciever! I shot very poorly!

I stayed the entire week, fired the Garand , M-1 Carbine and Springfield matches as well the President's 100. I didn't shoot well in any of them, but at least the weather broke after 3 days and the temp was "only" about 90 instead of 100 plus high humidity. I was a heat casuality one day but the medics packed me in ice and loaded me with fluids until I could walk straight again.

I wish I had a video of me in the Springfield match, 10 rounds with my '03A3 in 70 seconds, standing to prone. I fired the first 5 rounds and had just picked up the stripper of the second 5 when my scorer called "10 seconds"! I broke 5 rounds in 10 seconds at 200 yards and had 4 in the black! I must have been cranking on that bolt! :)

I fired my best with my Garand, just something special about that rifle! I still was 800 places down but, hey I had "fun" and I hope and plan to return next year!

redneckdan
10-19-2006, 07:37 AM
cool. I'm hopeing to go to perry someday. I'd like to shoot with cast boolits too.

Boz330
10-19-2006, 09:30 AM
Dan,
Sounds just like basic at Ft Benning in July. Didn't have any AC there either, in fact there weren't even any windows just screen nailed across the openings. AWWW fond memories of Sand Hill. They didn't charge us $12 a night though they actually paid us $90 a month to live there. WHAT A COUNTRY.
Considering your time of service I would think that the M-14 would have been your choice. Of course the M-1 is not to far off the M-14.
Sounds like you had fun though. I would think that Camp Perry would be a little intimadating. I also heard that the wind always blows making things interesting.

Bob