PDA

View Full Version : CZ Rifle .221

ohiochuck
12-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Anyone who owns and shoots cast boolits in one of these rifles- can you tell how well it does? I am interested in squirrels (grey & fox) and woodchucks, etc.
Thanks!

hedgehorn
12-15-2010, 11:46 PM
I dont shoot cast but that is a damn fine rifle

roysha
12-16-2010, 01:52 PM
I didn't realize that CZ had chambered for that caliber. Three or four years ago I decided I wanted a 527 in that caliber so I got a Hornet and converted it to .221. I used the Hornet so I could get the slower rifling in hopes of shooting the lighter bullets better.
The Hornet and 222 use the same external dimensioned magazine so that worked out well since the .221 feeds nicely from the 222 magazine.
As with most of my glorious, wonderful creations,;) when I got it finished and test fired, I put it in the rack and started the next project.
Now that I have expanded my cast shooting to rifle, I guess I'll have to get it out and see how things go.
I hope you get some informational responses so I too will have a point to start.

NHlever
12-16-2010, 04:01 PM
I've heard nothing but good about that combination. Even the new Hornady manual has nice things to say about the .221 from a rifle for the kind of hunting you describe.

AZ-Stew
12-16-2010, 05:13 PM
I've just started working with the .221 and cast. My rifle is a Remington 700 Classic I bought in 2002. I've only tried two powders with it so far, using data from the RCBS Cast Bullet handbook. The loads listed for Unique did not produce much velocity or accuracy. 4198, on the other hand, worked well. I'll be spending more time with it and probably with some ball powders in the same burning rate range. The Unique loads might have worked better in a T/C Contender with a shorter barrel than the one on my rifle. At the time the data was developed, I believe the T/C and the Remington XP-100 were the only arms commercially chambered for the cartridge. It would make sense that the RCBS data was developed with the shorter barrels in mind.

I believe the .221 has a lot of potential as a cast boolit cartridge, due to having less powder capacity than most of the other .22 centerfires. It's easier to find a powder that nearly fills the case and produces mild pressures, but does not require any additional filler material.

More work to do here. :D
Regards,

Stew

ohiochuck
12-19-2010, 06:23 PM
I found this info on reduced .221 loads. Not cast but gives some ideas.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/221rfb.html

Jim

xringshutr
12-21-2010, 02:59 AM
Well, I haven't fired any cast in my Remington LVSF 221, but have knocked a bunch of critters down with J-word bullets. I have had really good luck with AA 1680 and WC 680. I found an 8 lb jug at a local gunshow last year for $50. Score!!!! I launch 40 V-max and BT's at around 3200 with these two powders. One of my favorite cartridges in a rifle. When I get around to buying a 22 cal mold, I'll give them a try in this one first.

AZ-Stew
12-21-2010, 03:28 PM
I found this info on reduced .221 loads. Not cast but gives some ideas.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/221rfb.html

Jim

Some of his jacketed bullet loads are WAY too hot. It would be difficult to get some of those velocities with the .223 Rem. using safe loads.

The reduced loads are in the ballpark, but I'm not fond of his powder choices for some of them. Those loads should be good starters for cast.

Regards,

Stew