PDA

View Full Version : Custom Molds

walker77
12-15-2010, 10:51 PM
I need a custom mold made for my 44 mag. The cylinder measures .433 so i guess i need at least a .435? Where can i go for the cheapest custom molds? Then is there anyone that makes custom sizing dies too? Thanks

rockrat
12-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Our own "Buckshot" makes custom boolit sizing dies (wouldn't you need a .433" die then?). As far as moulds go, Accurate moulds makes the cheapest custom 2 cav I know of. you can specify what dia. you want.

My 44 spec. has .433 cylinder throats also, but my 429421 casts at .434" and I size @.433"

walker77
12-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Have a web site for accurate molds?

white eagle
12-16-2010, 12:09 AM
try this
http://www.accuratemolds.com/

RedHawk357Mag
12-16-2010, 12:16 AM
And the brass molds are very sweet. He does great work I have two of his molds.

DeanWinchester
12-16-2010, 12:37 AM
And the brass molds are very sweet. He does great work I have two of his molds.

What advantage does the brass have?

RedHawk357Mag
12-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Thinking the heat retention/stability(doesn't fluctuate as rapidly) is a plus for me. Brass is more durable than Alum(not that either get thrown around the garage nor survive 3 plus feet drops to concrete reliably)(purely deductive reasoning no real world application of either). I don't believe brass corrodes easily. Of absolutely no bullet making meaning they have cool eye appeal especially that mammoth sprue plate Accurate Molds uses. But nice bullets can be made with either Alum or Brass, having NOE and Accurate Molds has made each a enjoyable experience.

45 2.1
12-16-2010, 08:47 AM
You can get 0.433" and 0.434" custom excellent quality molds here:
http://www.brp.castpics.net/P2.html

stainless1911
12-18-2010, 01:46 AM
looking forward to my first brass mold too, after seeing pics from accurate on this forum, I want one.

walker77
12-18-2010, 01:50 AM
Not to be rude, but if you guys want to talk about brass molds, why dont you start up a different thread? Brass molds dont help me find a cheap custom mold maker.

RedHawk357Mag
12-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Actually Sir, all your questions have been answered. RockRat answered your question about cheapest custom mold in the second post.
You asked about a website for Accurate Molds. White Eagle politely provided one for you.
I affirmed Accurate Molds does excellent work. What wasn't specifically stated was Accurate Molds makes them in three choices of materials. Although Alum is the obvious cheapest choice, in my experience, my Alum molds from other makers although they are fabulous molds; they are not necessarily my favorite molds. Had I made my selections in brass or iron or at least considered them, I may have spent less money on similar molds. For my case only, I was penny wise and pound foolish on the material of my first molds. Bunch of great people here willing to be a hand, but I am certain you already know that and I probably took more from your post than I should have. Have an excellent weekend.

onesonek
12-18-2010, 08:54 AM
The words cheap and custom, often don't work well in the same sentence. The added value you get buying something that isn't mass produced, can be and most often is a frugal buy.
I have 1 BRP aluminum mold, and an excellent mold it is. I also have 2 AM molds in brass, both excellent molds as well. If you want a less costly mold, you do have the aluminum option with AM as well. That is your choice, but even the brass is an inexpensive cost for what you get. The advantage of the AM mold is, if you want a specific diameter and or design, AM can make it to your wishes. BRP as I see it, makes his to throw slightly larger diameters, and you can size down to your specific needs. Either way works well.
I don't know that you would want a .435" sized diameter,,,,,once loaded it likely won't chamber. While your cylinder is .433", your groove diameter is likely to be .429- .430 or maybe even less.

Thin Man
12-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Walker77,
Before you order a custom mold, it may be worth your time to determine that you actually do need a boolit as large as you are asking to find. Look for this site's members articles on how to "Beagle" a mold by applying aluminum HVAC tape to one of your existing molds to create a larger diameter casting. Try these (hand lubing will get you by) and see what your revolver tells you. If you do not have, and can not find, HVAC tape, toss me a PM and I will get a supply of it headed your way.
Thin Man

RobS
12-18-2010, 11:41 AM
Walker77 has been down the beagling road as I've helped him with all this some time back. He ends up with a bullet that is large enough one side of the boolit, but still too small on another, Lyman mold if I remember correctly.

Walker:
BRP does great work as well as Accurate Molds. BRP's designs are cut with a cherry so what his catalog has in it is just that (he won't be able to design different molds unless he makes a new cherry and that will cost you if you desire a total custom mold). His price for a two cavity will be the least expensive that I've seen for a quality product. BRP a.k.a. BaBore on the forum has designs that are proven so if you like what is in his catalog then it will more than likely fly for you. I own two of his and they are very nice molds that produce very accurate boolits. He has more detailed drawings of the boolits if you have questions to some of the dimensions, just ask him.

Accurate Molds will be able to cut you whatever you like as he CNC lathe bores his molds. The nice part about AM is the ability for you to design your own if you are comfortable doing such. I have 4 different designs over there currently and couldn’t be happier. His end product is also first class.

Both of these two gentlemen have quick turn around time, 2 weeks or less. They both have excellent customer service and are very responsive to emails. Good, honest individuals.

As a note to your bullet diameter: if your cylinder throats are .433 than you need a .433 or .434 boolit (sized down to .433). The nice thing about going with custom/semi custom mold makers is they know exactly what their molds are going to drop at with certain alloys (WW for example) and guarantee it to be at stated diameter or a touch larger i.e. (+.0015,-.000) . Make sure to state your alloy in use and if you have questions or concerns simply ask what the mold maker believes the mold to cast out at with such and such alloy.

Buckshot here is a good source for a custom push through die as well as Lyman/RCBS lube/sizer dies and does good work. There are a few others that make custom push through dies, but can’t remember them right off hand. There was just a thread on it this last week I believe.

walker77
12-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Ive already tried to use heat tape on my rcbs mold and it hasnt helped much. Im still getting leading in the beginning of the barrel.

walker77
12-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks Rob. I think i might give AM a try after the first of the year. I havent done much casting in the past few months. So my leading problem hasnt really been addressed.

cajun shooter
12-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Throat leading is caused by gas cutting. Your bullets are not the correct size. You already know this I assume you also know that you receive what you pay. Accurate molds as has been posted does fine work and if your not happy he will make it so. His charge of $199 to your door is a real bargain. I have paid over $250 each for molds. Some molds are over $450 so unless you buy Lyman, RCBS, or in my book the best stock molds made Saeco you are not going to find cheap and good. The Lee 2 cavity is cheap and gives you what you pay for.

walker77
12-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Throat leading is caused by gas cutting. Your bullets are not the correct size. You already know this I assume you also know that you receive what you pay. Accurate molds as has been posted does fine work and if your not happy he will make it so. His charge of $199 to your door is a real bargain. I have paid over $250 each for molds. Some molds are over $450 so unless you buy Lyman, RCBS, or in my book the best stock molds made Saeco you are not going to find cheap and good. The Lee 2 cavity is cheap and gives you what you pay for.

I agree. But your prices dont match what he has on his site. Im looking at a 2 cav brass mold and he has it listed for 104. His most expensive mold is 158

Daddyfixit
12-18-2010, 10:30 PM
I need a custom mold made for my 44 mag. The cylinder measures .433 so i guess i need at least a .435? Where can i go for the cheapest custom molds? Then is there anyone that makes custom sizing dies too? Thanks

You might want too check out Dale53's group buy, Sounds like MiHec could get one in the diameter you want at a good price.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=95468

"The moulds are spec'd at .432". However, MiHec can vary that to .434" upon request. However, the request has to be on the list, so he can have one ready for you."

walker77
12-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Id really like to have a gas check mold

onesonek
12-18-2010, 10:44 PM
I agree. But your prices dont match what he has on his site. Im looking at a 2 cav brass mold and he has it listed for 104. His most expensive mold is 158

You won't be sorry with that brass mold!!! And I believe you are correct on the price.

bhn22
12-18-2010, 11:27 PM
Drop Ranch Dog a note & ask him what size his moulds are running in your caliber. He may have something on hand and ready to ship.

Volowner
12-19-2010, 04:13 AM
I'll second (or third, or fourth....) the vote for Accurate Molds. I just got my third mold from him a couple of weeks ago--this one for my muzzleloader. Considering his quality work, quick responses, fast turn around time and excellent prices, he'd be worth a shot.