PDA

View Full Version : Powder Valley free hazmat on primers

lonewelder
12-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Powder Valley has free Hazmat and freight on Tula primers.Min. 10,000[smilie=w:

garandsrus
12-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Great prices also.... I have some that should be here tomorrow.

John

markinalpine
12-15-2010, 04:18 PM
They have decent prices on bullets (J-word), boolits (if you're too much of a sissy to cast your own :castmine:), and brass, too.
Merry Christmas,
Mark :Fire:

mike in co
12-15-2010, 11:15 PM
read the fine print..its better than free shipping/hazmat on primers....order your primers(10k) and then top off the shipping container with aprox 50 total pounds...
ship/hazmat free on the entire paclkage.....

mike in co

Hometek
12-16-2010, 12:53 AM
Where is the info at? Can't find it on their website.

alamogunr
12-16-2010, 01:01 AM
Click on "Specials"

Hometek
12-16-2010, 01:16 AM
Doh! Right there on top. All I saw earlier was the Barnes coupon. Blind as a bat in one eye and can't see out of the other I guess. Thanks

Frank
12-16-2010, 12:02 PM
They're kind of pricey on other stuff. Bullets sure are expensive. I don't get it. You can buy a new decent barrel for $300, but go broke buying jacketed bullets. One item is made with steel and has labor put into it, while the other comes out of a machine like candy. Reloading components are a big rip-off IMO.

sargenv
12-16-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm toying with the idea since I need some Fed 209 Shotshell primers too.. and I can always use small pistol primers for my 1911...

mike in co
12-16-2010, 12:20 PM
They're kind of pricey on other stuff. Bullets sure are expensive. I don't get it. You can buy a new decent barrel for $300, but go broke buying jacketed bullets. One item is made with steel and has labor put into it, while the other comes out of a machine like candy. Reloading components are a big rip-off IMO.

you are living in the past if you think they are a ripoff.....

the price of copper has gone through the roof and is still high( it did go down for a while).
primers are made from copper(alloy) cases are made from coper(alloy) and bullet jackets are made from copper(alloy or pure)......the bottom line is that shooting cost have gone up....

and all my better bbls cost more than the 300 you listed...closer to 400 on some....for bbl blanks...not finished bbls.

i guess everyone has thier own "comfort zone" on cost of things....

mike in co

Frank
12-16-2010, 12:54 PM
mike in co:
you are living in the past if you think they are a ripoff.....
No, I'm living in the present. I understand the cost of compents metals has skyrocketed. That has more to do with scarcity than productivity. If there was a tomato shortage and they were $5/lb I would still say that is too expensive, tomatoes are a big rip-off. I don't like paying for something that is high demand and paying for that fact, not like it's worth anything more in itself. I would choose another vegetable.

Bloodman14
12-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Now I'M agreeing with Frank! (I must be ill.)

jcwit
12-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Reloading components are a big rip-off IMO.

Solution to that problem frank, is to stop reloading. No more rip-off for frank, and more components for the rest of us.

Win, win, all the way around!

Bad Water Bill
12-19-2010, 03:09 PM
If frank is trolling here I am going somewhere else.

Frank
12-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Bad Water Bill:
If frank is trolling here I am going somewhere else.
I'm trolling here. :cool:

Bloodman14
12-19-2010, 04:59 PM
I know that Frank is opinionated (so am I), but it seems that a lot of you guys hate him. Is it just me, or is my observation correct? Am I not seeing something here?

azcruiser
12-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Think all of the retailers have been getting their back ordered reloading supply's
powder, primers, brass, bullets
But now most people have spent their budgets for them already and are not buying huge amounts like before . Same with the black rifles shelves are full of them at our local stores saw AR10 for $775.00 in 308 they were over a grand .Guessing you will be seeing sales on reloading supply's from all the mail order places in the future .

felix
12-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Frank is OK in that he circles the nest waiting for an opportunity. But, only when he is hungry for a meal will he attack. I personally like to hear what he has to say, and a lot of times I can concur with his take on a specific matter. Luckily, most topics mean little to me, and ends up being strictly arbitrary on what is said. No big deal. ... felix

Frank
12-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Felix:
Frank is OK in that he circles the nest waiting for an opportunity. But, only when he is hungry for a meal will he attack. I personally like to hear what he has to say, and a lot of times I can concur with his take on a specific matter. Luckily, most topics mean little to me, and ends up being strictly arbitrary on what is said. No big deal. ... felix

Thanks, Felix. :drinks:

alamogunr
12-19-2010, 08:36 PM
I hadn't noticed anything one way or the other. I guess I should be more opinionated and more observant.

John
W.TN

Bloodman14
12-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Frank, the reason I ask is because I didn't know whether to take you seriously, or if you were just ranting, or blowing off steam, or. . . Anyway, I just wanted a second opinion ( a third or fourth would help!).

Heavy lead
12-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Well lucky for me I've got enough Nosler Partiitions and a few other boutique bullets to last most of the rest of my life in 7mm, .308, .338 and .416 bought well before prices went up, back when copper was going for less that $70 a hundred, now that is is 5 times that, yes, it is going to be more expensive, but oh well, it's stilll way cheaper (and IMO, more accurate for the most part) than buying factory rounds. I still will buy Nosler Ballistic Tips for my .223's and .22-250's, they are still pretty good at $40 or a might less for 250.
I did stock up with 2600 "free" Hornady J words with the purchase of 3 LNL's, and one Hornady LNL powder measure too in the last 3 years, so that helps some too.
Ammunition and reloading components are coming down, it's all supply/demand, I just hope it doesn't break the company's that have to purchase raw materials high, but can't sell the markup as the demand isn't there, it is a true concern, and the reason most did not jump on board with adding huge capital investments when the shortage was on a couple of years ago. That would be tragic, and would lead to much higher prices in the future as well as most componants being manufactured overseas also.
Buy some J words Frank, support the USA.
Also, annoying at times, as I'm sure I am to him, I rather enjoy Frank.

HATCH
12-19-2010, 09:24 PM
I bought 1k tula large pistol.
I had issues with two of my pistols

Frank
12-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Gunnerd:
Frank, the reason I ask is because I didn't know whether to take you seriously, or if you were just ranting, or blowing off steam, or. . . Anyway, I just wanted a second opinion ( a third or fourth would help!).

No problem. I'm glad you asked. [smilie=1:

12-20-2010, 12:48 AM
I bought 1k tula large pistol.
I had issues with two of my pistols

What issues? primers are still few and far between so i was eyeballing this sale pretty hard.

alamogunr
12-20-2010, 01:07 AM
What issues? primers are still few and far between so i was eyeballing this sale pretty hard.

+1 I need small pistol primers too. This would be a good opportunity to get some one lb bottles of powder to try without going broke on haz mat and shipping.

John
W.TN

azcruiser
12-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Guessing that somethings have more of a perceived value others .But the labor overall should be close -hit the green button on the CNC
machine. Hit the red/stop when you made enough.
Plus packaging all that counting to 100 and the bags and boxes. . Heck barrel drill a hole pour in a little acid and box simple . It's the perceived value
or perceived shortages that add to sale price .
Just kidding

mike in co
12-20-2010, 08:49 PM
i have sold/used somewhere between 400,000 and 500,000 tula/wolf primers.
most of mine have been rifle large , small and 223. no issues.....

most issues that have surfaced have been traced to improper installation or in one case a gun issue.
when the wolf were tested in 223 with cci and winchester.......the wolf came out significantly ahead. the small rifle mag and large and large rifle mag are used by benchrest shooters over fed match primers.

if you have an issue with a wolf or tula primer....look for the cause, not the symptom.

all primer companies have had primer failures.......most are very seldom.....

mike in co

HATCH
12-20-2010, 09:11 PM
I had 1K large Primers.
I had two different pistols and I tested 100 rds
Both pistols were custom guns.

Pistol 1 - S&W 4553tsw was modified by Performance shop to SA/DA (was factory DAO gun)
Pistol 2 - S&W Mod 28 (converted to a 1955 mod 25)

Pistol one - Bang, click, click Bang, click, bang, click, bang, bang, click, click, bang
Pistol two wasn't as bad as #1. About 1 every 6 had to be hit twice.

With pistol one they all did fire. Some had to struck 2 or 3 times. i checked all 2nd strike primers and they had DEEP impacts so it wasn't a light strike problem.

I loaded up the ones with CCI primers and they went BANG in both guns every time.

They were also harder to seat in the case. I had about 6K nickle plated 45 acp cases. When I was loading and ran into the seating issue, I grabbed some nickle cases that had been over polished to almost brass. Still had seating issues.
I polish, deprime and polish again. I even used a pocket cleaner brush and still was hard sitting.

I use a Dillon 550 press.

I was in the middle of loading 1K rounds of ammo. I was around the 800 rd mark when I ran out of CCI primers and switched to Tula. I loaded 200rds with the Tulas.

They may work just fine for you but for me it was a waste of $20.

12-20-2010, 09:32 PM
HATCH,
There has been much discussion about Wolf (same-same Tula) primers. The consesus seems to be that non-ignition/multiply strike problems were due to improper seating.

My Wolf experience, with small pistol, small pistol magnum, large pistol and large rifle, is that, yes, they are a bit bigger, require a bit more seating force, and an inspection to confirm that they are seated properly. Since I hand prime, that has not been an issue, however those who press prime may run into problems. To me, it's no different than any other step in the reloading process...an inspection is necessary to make sure all is as it should be.

I've never had a Wolf primer that didn't ignite upon the first trigger pull. My only primer failure was a Winchester.

If I could afford to take advantage of Powder Valley's current offer I would. In a heartbeat.

Down South
12-20-2010, 09:49 PM
I bought 5K of Wolf small rifle a while back. I've gone through about 400 of them with no problem. I was at the range last week shooting my 45 ACP. My primers for that bullet were CCI. I had 6 clicks out of about 150 rounds. I tried each no-fire cartridge several times with a deep strike on the primer each time and still no fire. I will pull those bullets when I have time so that I can punch the primers out and examine them. I've ran into this problem with CCI before and when I punched the primers out last time and examined them, there was no primer material in the cup. There was just a shiney bottom in the cup.

On Edit, Yes the primers were seated well and in good brass. I'll know the story when I pull them for inspection.

On second edit: Back to topic.......That is a great deal from PV. I deal with PV a lot. Actually lately most all of my powder and primers come form them. I also buy bullets for my AR from them. Their prices are hard to beat even without the free S&H & Hazmat. I usually buy in bulk from them to offset those charges but if someone is looking for a deal then now is the time to jump on it.......

azcruiser
12-20-2010, 11:35 PM
Think if the primer goes bang its good .Think that with a CUSTOM or Tuned gun it's the gun.All
of my Custom auto and REVO I stick with FEDERAL Primers and have no problems. Just my 2 cents worth