PDA

View Full Version : Wish the Governor of NJ Merry Christmas Wednesday 12/15

Bert2368
12-15-2010, 01:15 PM
And suggest he free Brian Aitken. 609-292-6000. Be polite, a nice lady is answering the Governor's phone for him.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-national/supporters-promote-call-to-action-day-to-free-brian-aitken

(Brian was just sentenced to 7 years in prison for transporting a couple of his guns while moving back to NJ unloaded in locked cases, in the trunk of his car- And after contacting the NJ police and following their advice on how to do it legally)

MakeMineA10mm
12-15-2010, 11:29 PM
Wow, the stinkin' pop-ups on the examiner's site are so bad that they made the beeps by my pop-up-blocker sound like it was playing a monotone midi-song...

Anyway, **** like Brian's story is why I do not travel to certain states anymore, and why I'm actively looking for a place to retire to, out of my own state. There's about a half-dozen places which are so stupidly communistic in their gun-laws I won't spend one red cent in their state, travel to them, or even THROUGH them.

Bert2368
12-21-2010, 11:36 AM
The Governor listened.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/state/122010_Christie_commutes_sentence_of_man_convicted _of_having_guns_in_NJ_illegally.html

Thanks to any who called in-

lwknight
12-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Brian Aitken is still screwed. Even with a commuted sentance he is still forever a convictd felon and cannot ever carry a firearm again legally.
If I were in his shoes , I think that I would to the mountains where they make their own laws.

bruce drake
12-21-2010, 03:09 PM
Step one - commutation.
Step two - pardon.

He'll be able to own firearms again if he keeps at it. President Obama pardoned coke dealers last week for Christ Sake!

Bruce

Bert2368
12-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Or- Step 2, he's out of jail and in a much better position to work on his appeal. With a lot of folks willing to pitch in on the legal expenses.

The fact the governor canned the judge who did this to him can't hurt his chances either.

Judge Morley once opined after a case of a 45-year-old teacher's aide, accused of having sexual relations with a 16-year-old student, that said aide was not a "sexual predator". In another case, involving a former Moorestown officer charged with four counts of animal cruelty for having oral sex with cow calves, Morley ruled that there was no evidence of animal cruelty. Then the man, Robert Melia, was arrested for alleged sexual assaults of three girls, and a search of his computer revealed videos of him "allegedly"*receiving oral sex from the cows. Now Melia is awaiting trial on 48 other counts.

I'd like to see the prosecutor looking for a new job too, though.

12-21-2010, 10:10 PM
N.J. Governor Chris Christie Commutes Gun Owner’s Prison Sentence -- NRA Hails Decision, Calls for Real Reform

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Fairfax, Va. –The National Rifle Association praised New Jersey Governor Chris Christie for commuting the prison sentence of Brian Aitken—a gun owner who was arrested, convicted and imprisoned for illegal possession of firearms, even though he had made every effort to comply with New Jersey’s restrictive and confusing laws. The NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund supported Mr. Aitken’s case.

“On behalf of the 4 million members of the National Rifle Association of America, I would like to thank Governor Christie for freeing Brian Aitken in time to spend the holiday with his family,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director of the NRA Institute for Legislative Action.

Mr. Aitken was convicted last year of illegal possession of firearms, following a trial in which the judge refused to let the jury hear about exceptions in the law that allow possession of firearms without a license, while moving to a new residence. Mr. Aitken was sentenced to a seven-year prison term even though he had lawfully purchased and owned the firearms.

“While Governor Christie’s grant of clemency was absolutely the right thing to do, Brian Aitken’s case is just one example of how New Jersey's ridiculous gun laws turn law-abiding gun owners into criminals,” added Cox. “There is a serious need to reform New Jersey’s gun laws so that the full weight of the state’s law enforcement and legal system falls squarely on the shoulders of criminals, not on people like Brian Aitken.”

-NRA-

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/NewsReleases.aspx?ID=14578

I'm going to call to thank him tomorrow.