PDA

View Full Version : breech plug ?

XWrench3
12-15-2010, 11:15 AM
this will be short and sweet. has anyone ever used white teflon tape on their breech plug? if so, how did it work?

gnoahhh
12-15-2010, 11:42 AM
I've used anti-sieze compound. Don't see why teflon tape wouldn't work. Anxious to hear others reply too.

bob208
12-15-2010, 07:13 PM
i have done a few many years ago. they all shot fine never had to take one apart so never got to look at the tape.

frontier gander
12-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Works great.

12-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Never used it on a barrel. I don't make it a habit to take breech plugs out of MLs unless, last resort- absolutely- no choice necessary. No way to put one back together and get the filed/dressed seam back to "seamless" once taken apart. I use the regular anti sieze compound for barrel threads- the suff that has a whole bunch of silvery pigment in it. As far as the teflon tape? don't see why it wouldn't work tho.

skullmount
12-15-2010, 09:49 PM
this will be short and sweet. has anyone ever used white teflon tape on their breech plug? if so, how did it work?

YES and GREAT !

shotman
12-15-2010, 10:17 PM
it works for the Knight but watch what kind you buy they make a thick [most is yellow tint] and thin white that is best

12-15-2010, 11:54 PM
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I thought you were talking about a real breech plug not the plug for the inlines! And yes, I have an inline also.

Haven't shot it in years and prefer the old original designs by FAR! Yes, the teflon tape works fine for those type plugs. I remember busting my knuckles everytime I cleaned the inline. What a PITB to clean! I tried the teflon tape for the inline plugs but still preferred the compound- the kind found in auto parts stores.

nanuk
12-16-2010, 03:15 AM
I'm too lazy to wrap teflon tape... I just use chassis grease. lots of it. never had a problem

DIRT Farmer
12-16-2010, 05:25 PM
When I started shooting long range muzzle loaders, the old guys told me to use teflon tape on the nipple. I had greased the threads with bering grease and shot anyway, now I use the tape on all of the cap gun nipples. They come out a lot easier.

XWrench3
12-19-2010, 01:35 AM
well, i went ahead and teflon taped it. next time i shoot it, i will report back.

12-19-2010, 09:59 AM
I'm sure the tape will work but I really didn't like all the strands of shredded teflon left in the breech after removal. Just another thing to clean out. Tried it a couple of times then went back to the anti seize compound. Dug around in the bottom of a ML box in storage and found the tube. The stuff that seemed to work the best for me was the Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant.

Maven
12-19-2010, 11:48 AM
XW3, 405's post (above) about the teflon strands mirrors my experience exactly. However, I must admit, 2 wraps of teflon tape worked quite well, but it was a PITA to remove. Also, you can avoid sticky breech plugs by using a good grease as 405 et al have recommended, and by loosening the plug after you're finished shooting for the day.

Screwbolts
12-19-2010, 12:04 PM
I use the tape on all of my smokeless guns, I can't believe there are people that haven't discovered that a dry breech plug brush will remove all the threads of tape from the gun and can be cleaned faster that the time it takes to write this. You know the nylon brush you use to clean the old grease from the threads. Use it dry and a simple twist will remove all the shreds of tape.

Ken

firefly1957
12-21-2010, 01:06 AM
I use anti seize on breech plugs and nipples as well, seems to prevent any problems have been using it for at least 20 years now.

Smoke-um if you got-um
12-25-2010, 11:22 AM
On the standard threaded breach plug in-line I used white Teflon tape with excellent results for years but since I got the new Triumph a couple of years ago I use silver anti-seize on both. It has the 1/4 turn easy out (supposed to be anyway) interrupted thread design. The anti-seize is better than regular grease on this design as it does come out easier as compared to regular breech plug grease or Bore Butter. On the standard thread breech I cannot tell a difference except that when cleaning you tend to get the anti-seize on yourself and it's a pain to get off and, heaven forbid, my wife finds some on my clothes.