PDA

View Full Version : Magnet Gun Caddy

Jim
12-15-2010, 11:08 AM
I found an advertisement for a portable magnetic gun holder (http://www.magnetguncaddy.com/index.html).

One of the photos shows it fixed to the side of a truck. I'm not sure I'd want to do that as it may scratch the paint, but I do see some uses for this.

AZ-Stew
12-15-2010, 12:05 PM
As with magnetic mount Ham Radio antennas, it very likely has a thin layer of plastic over the magent to protect the surface to which you attach it.

Regards,

Stew

spqrzilla
12-15-2010, 11:13 PM
I think that these are Very Bad Ideas. And I so teach in my hunter safety courses.

They encourage people to leave firearms leaning up against the side of a vehicle in what could be a dangerous position if loaded. The ad for them with the dog is a perfect illustration of another reason these are bad ideas - we had a report of a injury locally a few years ago where a dog knocked down a loaded shotgun propped against a truck.

Wouldn't own one myself.

Jim
12-16-2010, 07:12 AM
Well, if the shotgun were not loaded until it was time to be used, that wouldn't happen, would it?

spqrzilla
12-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Indeed if firearms are not loaded until the time to be used, we'd never have an accidental shooting at all ...

I try to teach principles that lead people away from situations that could result in one.

azcruiser
12-19-2010, 05:48 PM
How long do you think it will take before someone drives off with their gun still stuck to the magnet because they forgot it or another person in the group didn't pick theirs up. Not long I'm guessing ??

wonderwolf
12-19-2010, 05:59 PM
I've been using a hard plastic one for years that has spots for 3 or so guns. I've used it only a few times with the truck but it has stayed on the side of the safe to stack guns on when I'm trying to get to something in the back. Just common sense really in their use.

JIMinPHX
12-19-2010, 09:15 PM
I've seen magnetic gun holders being sold at the gun shows for the last few years. They are about the last thing that I would ever want to use. Once a gun gets magnetized, it will attract every little speck of iron that is anywhere near it. That can only lead to jams & abnormal wear. I wouldn't want a magnet near a gun anymore than I would want a magnet near a crank shaft bearing.