PDA

View Full Version : Do you re-size your cast bollits & how

Toad
12-15-2010, 09:46 AM
I shoot a H&R 45-70, I have seen moulds for '460' Dia, but when you buy bollits they say '458-459' dia does it matter? and also what do you use to re-size them.

Blammer
12-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Depends on what size they pop out of the mould.

Some are just the right size and don't need sizing just lubing of sorts.

For lubing I use my lyman 450, (yea it sizes them too) but if they are the same size as my sizer, well then they don't really get sized, just lubed. :)

If your loaded ammo can chamber the ammo after loading some unsized boolits, I'd say you're good to go!

BABore
12-15-2010, 10:16 AM
I shoot a H&R 45-70, I have seen moulds for '460' Dia, but when you buy bollits they say '458-459' dia does it matter? and also what do you use to re-size them.

The ideal boolit size for your 45-70 is one that will just sldie into your fired case. Just shooting a boolit 0.001" over your groove diameter may control leading and keyholing, but it does no good for accuracy if you have a large chamber and throat. The boolit has to get into the bbl and be straight, with its base perpendicular to the bore axis, so it exits the muzzle squarely. So, shoot the biggest boolit diameter that will chamber freely.

That said, I size all my boolits in custom, nose first, push-through dies using my Rockchucker press. I later lube them in a Saeco Lubri-sizer using a slightly oversized die. I prefer the leverage of the RC press and also like to keep my boolit straight. Base first sizing in a lubri-sizer with weak leverage means you have to really lean on it. Bent boolits can be the result. You likely won't have that in your 458's, but it is common in smaller calibers.

HammerMTB
12-15-2010, 10:31 AM
When I need to size, I use either a Lyman 450 or a Lee sizing die, depending on whether I need to lube at the same time or not. Tumble lubing is faster if the other factors in the equation allow it.

mdi
12-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Jes a hint; Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook is a very good source of info on casting, preparing, and shooting lead bullets. I think the 3rd Edition is better, but the new 4th Edition is very good too. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Lyman%27s+Cast+bullet+Handbook&x=9&y=17

1Shirt
12-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Trial and error in testing develops a couple of things other than occaisional frustration. It keeps you loading and shooting more which is not all bad. It keeps you casting and testing different sizing, which is not all bad. When you get the load that works best, you have a great deal of satisfaction. For what ever it is worth, I size .459 for my #1.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

prs
12-15-2010, 06:23 PM
HammerMTB wrote my response for me. Then again, in the end the barrel does the final sizing. ;-)

PRS

Shiloh
12-15-2010, 06:54 PM
I run all my TL boolits through a LEE sizer for consistency. Prevents the occasional cartridge from not chambering. It is more obvious in revolvers, especially in casual shooting. Auto's will fail to chamber on a fat round.

Traditional groove boolits get sized and lubed in a Lyman 450. Depending on what size it is, there is either contact on the whole boolit or sometimes it just kisses the parting lines.

Shiloh

AZ-Stew
12-15-2010, 10:24 PM
I size all MY cast boolits. AND HOW!

Regards,

Stew