PDA

View Full Version : Received at work today from Shpng/rcving

Rockydog
12-15-2010, 12:20 AM
UPS Ground HazMat and ORM-D Shipments to and from Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico

Beginning January 1, 2011, we will no longer offer UPS Ground service for hazardous materials, including ORM-D, shipped to or from Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico.

However, customers can continue to use UPS Air services to ship hazardous materials to or from these destinations. These shipments must be prepared for air transport in accordance with the applicable shipping regulations (49 CFR or IATA) governing air shipments.

This new policy is consistent with hazardous materials services offered by other package carriers to these destinations. Since UPS Ground packages are transported via aircraft to these destinations, packages containing hazardous materials, including ORM-D, must comply with applicable air regulations. Noncompliant packages risk fines for both shippers and UPS.

This change will be implemented in the January 2011 release of UPS WorldShipTM. Customers using older versions of UPS WorldShip will need to upgrade to the latest version in January. This change may not be reflected in third-party software programs, but customers must still comply with this change.

For more information about shipping hazardous materials with UPS:

Visit ups.com/hazmat, where the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials can help answer your questions
Contact the UPS Hazardous Materials Support Center at 1-800-554-9964
UPS is committed to safely transporting your 49 CFR and IATA compliant hazardous material shipments supported by advanced technology, personalized customer support, and a comprehensive portfolio of delivery services.

Bret4207
12-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Kinda makes sense. No way there's "ground service" in the first place.

blackthorn
12-15-2010, 09:30 AM
Along with a hefty increase in fees no doubt!

runfiverun
12-15-2010, 03:01 PM
how do you ground service hawaii and puerto rico??

i thinks this is more a case of being regulated to tears.
and the other two are in line with whats easiest.

elk hunter
12-15-2010, 03:23 PM
That means no more ammunition, powder or primers via UPS.

markinalpine
12-15-2010, 04:22 PM
how do you ground service hawaii and puerto rico??

i thinks this is more a case of being regulated to tears.
and the other two are in line with whats easiest.

Ground service = surface, in other words, by ship.

Merry Christmas,
Mark :coffeecom

azcruiser
12-15-2010, 04:23 PM
You can still ship it ,they are just going to charge you, since it all goes air anyway .Some one must have noticed that they were shipping everything by air and just getting gorund rates on the items .

SCGunGuy
12-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Ground service = surface, in other words, by ship.

Merry Christmas,
Mark :coffeecom

No, it was more that if part of it went by ground, then the rest by air, UPS used to allow you to ship by Ground as long as you filled out the shipper's declaration for the Air shipment. I sent some ammo to Hawaii that way--it went ground from SC to CA, then air the rest. I had to ship at a UPS Customer Counter, had to fill out the waybill properly, and present it and the ammo to a rep as a hazmat ORM-D shipment, show proper ID, etc. But, it got the Ground rate.

Now, the process will be the exact same, but they'll charge the Air rate. I can't really blame UPS, if it is true that Fedex is already doing the same.