PDA

View Full Version : Casting barrel and chamber slugs.

PacMan
12-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Drilled out the whole primer pocket and inserted a flat head screw to punch out slugs.
As you can see they are short and long ones.Because of the interior taper of the case the short ones are a little small. The taper does help to start the slug.

nanuk
12-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Now that is a nifty idea.

good job

Bob Krack
12-14-2010, 09:31 PM
Drilled out the whole primer pocket and inserted a flat head screw to punch out slugs.
As you can see they are short and long ones.Because of the interior taper of the case the short ones are a little small. The taper does help to start the slug.Very interesting and ingenious, just not sure what is happening here?

Bob

PacMan
12-15-2010, 12:22 AM
I was casting slugs for my 41mag to slug the bore and cylinder throats.

PacMan
12-15-2010, 12:33 AM
I was in hurry earlier and need to add that i used fired but unsized brass and flared the mouth slightly.
Also need to clean the inside of the case real well. The ones that i did not clean was a bit tough to get out.
This is just a option you can use when working with a diffrent caliber you do not have a mold for. Helps to give you some ideal what mold and sizing die to buy.
Dwight

thegreatdane
12-15-2010, 01:20 AM
great idea!

Bob Krack
12-17-2010, 12:21 AM
I was casting slugs for my 41mag to slug the bore and cylinder throats.
I see - you are using the slug to measure the diameter of the cylinder throat?

Good idea.... I usually just drop a slug into the cylinder and see if it is loose, tight, or if I can push it through with a pencil (eraser first).

Not knocking your procedure, just never thought about doing it that way.

Bob