PDA

View Full Version : M dies and Micro Lube

milprileb
12-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Is Micro lube any good. I found two sticks and wonder if it is just a Alox 50 50 NRA formulat.

Secondly, I am told a M Die is ideal for reloading rifle cases with cast bullets .\ I have the Lee unit that expands case mouths... and wonder if it will do the job or does the M Die perform better

Silent
12-14-2010, 01:15 PM
You could try with your existing die, but if it shaves lead it's not going to work well. I have an M die and it works well for my 30-30 cases.

12-14-2010, 03:02 PM
I no longer use anything other than an M die.

In reality, the Lee die "flares" the case mouth, while the M die actually "expands" it (a huge difference in function) and adds a "step" that allows the boolit/bullet to sit squarely in the case mouth, which the Lee doesn't.

milprileb
12-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Now I understand and I am ordering a M die today.

How about this Micro Lube: okay for pistol and is it a 50 50 alox lube ?:cbpour:

Hardcast416taylor
12-14-2010, 04:23 PM
I inherited 6 sticks I, seem to recall, of Micro-Lube from a neighbors estate. I am still using it in my dedicated pistol Lyman lube/sizer 450. I have been using it for all my pistol bullets being sized, from .38 spcl up thru .45 LC and .44 mag. Have had no leading problem (using 50/50 alloy) with moderate to medium fast - NOT HOT - loads. A BIG YES on using an "M" die!Robert

Jack Stanley
12-14-2010, 07:00 PM
When I started casting years ago I used Micro-lube exclusively for rifle and pistol and it worked very well for both . I don't think it's the same as Alox , it's harder and it doesn't smell the same . Though I haven't used any in a while now , I don't remember that it smoked as much as Alox either .

The "M" die ? oh yeah !! worth the money , I get one each time I get myself into a new caliber .

Jack

NSP64
12-14-2010, 08:36 PM
I use lee rifle dies with neck sizing dies(all my rifles are bolt action) so I can control the amount that they are sized. I also use the lee expander die to bell the case mouths.