PDA

View Full Version : Cor Bon ammo ??

Tom-ADC
12-14-2010, 10:52 AM
When I bought my rolling block I also got a bunch of 45-70 ammo with it, two of the boxes say Cor Bon on them, if its Cor Bon then none of my rifles can shoot it BUT boxes are suspect anybody know what brass Cor Bon uses for their ammo?

Rocky Raab
12-14-2010, 11:01 AM
My box of Cor-Bon pistol ammo has Starline brass - but that is no guarantee that all or even any other kinds of their ammo uses Starline.

Jim
12-14-2010, 11:07 AM
I can't answer the question, but I will say I'd be very hesitant to fire ammo the origin of can't be confirmed.
If you have the means, you could pull it and reload it.

Tom-ADC
12-14-2010, 12:37 PM
All of the ammo (360) rounds appears new in the factory boxes even this Cor-Bon it has R&P brass but it looks just like the pictures on thier website the 460 gr lead bullet with a heavy roll crimp. BUT it has a price tag of $18.99 on the boxes if that is the case and its really Cor Bon it is older stuff as they list it for $65 a box. I don't need it right now have more than enough loaded up and componets to load more. I may pull one and verify the 460gr bullet.

Tom-ADC
12-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Pulled a bullet it is 460 gr with 44.4 grs of powder, not sure what kind ball maybe very fine grains.
BTW bullet was gas checked.

winelover
12-14-2010, 01:18 PM
anybody know what brass Cor Bon uses for their ammo?

I just checked some "older" 9mm Luger Corbon and it's stamped COR-BON.

Winelover

Papa Jack
12-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Pulled a bullet it is 460 gr with 44.4 grs of powder, not sure what kind ball maybe very fine grains.
BTW bullet was gas checked.

Well, with THAT many rounds in Factory Cor-Bon boxes, might be worth a phone call to Cor-Bon and see what they say about the load and the pressures.....Beats tearing it all down. Atleast you'd know what the powder is so you could reduce the charge if needed.
Just an idea.... "PJ"

Tom-ADC
12-14-2010, 01:38 PM
I just sent Cor Bon's tech group an email to see what they say.

Tom-ADC
12-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Hat's off to Cor Bon fast answer:

Mr B, Our current price for the 45-70 load you mention is $65.51. It appears you do have a very old box of our stuff. In any case do not attempt to fire this ammo in a rolling block or sharps since our ammo is way too hot for those rifles. Our ammo is safe in the Marlin 1895 guide gun, the Ruger single shots, and most break open guns like the Handi-rifles. If you try to fire them in your guns I’m afraid you would turn your gun into a hand grenade. Your first idea to pull the bullets was a good one. We have in the past and even now occasionally use R-P brass. Hope this helps. Linn. CORBON> technical support.

Skipper488
12-14-2010, 04:32 PM
Well it sounds like they were very quick and helpful with their reply.

DeanWinchester
12-14-2010, 05:55 PM
They are right, just let that stuff find it's way into a #1 Ruger and have no worries. It's a god excuse to buy another gun!

Tom-ADC
12-14-2010, 06:21 PM
That's what I told Cor Bon!! The other ammo is Miwall which I think is here in CA, new R&P brass 500 gr bullet no gas check & 29 grs of powder which looks something like 4895, They are supposed to be at this week ends gun show so I hope to ask them what pressures they load to have over 200 rounds of this.

Tom-ADC
12-15-2010, 12:10 AM
Heard back from Miwall all 45-70 ammo is loaded to trapdoor spec's so have a bunch of blasting ammo :bigsmyl2:

XWrench3
12-15-2010, 04:54 PM
you should ask cor bon what powder is in all of those shells, and find a safe load for your highwall. it would be some work, but it beats chucking the ammo. selling it off would be fine i guess. but it sounds like you have a lot of it. and i dont know how many folks would want to buy old $65.00 a box ammo. even if you sold it a lot cheaper. of course, if you have a mind to buy a marlin or browning, that, is as good of an excuse as you will ever get! just so you know, if you buy a marlin, those hi powered rounds kick like a mule in a guide gun! buy a limbsaver for the back of it before you shoot those up!