PDA

View Full Version : How much do you enjoy your hobby?

DeanWinchester
12-14-2010, 12:22 AM
I threw this out in one of my other posts, but I feel it bears repeating.

I wonder how many of you enjoy building, developing and perfecting a load more than actually using it? I posed this to a few people around me and they find it ludicrous. I can't help it, I'd rather waste away an entire sunday loading superfluous amounts of creations I'll likely never use than anything I can think of. Tell me I not alone.:lovebooli

reloader28
12-14-2010, 12:29 AM
I've spent many, many, many, many days loading loads just to see how they perform. Thank God for cast boolits. I'd be one broke SOB.:D

I should add that my friends and family think I'm nuts.

Dennis Eugene
12-14-2010, 12:32 AM
I'm not really into load devolpment. I work up a good hunting load for my deer rifles and once I've got a good one I just stay with it. My handguns are my fun guns I just load lots of rounds and then shoot 'em up. Dennis

wallenba
12-14-2010, 12:34 AM
I must be like that a little bit, because I've got a backlog of loaded ammo I have not tried yet and I still fiddle on the bench when I can't get out.

R.C. Hatter
12-14-2010, 12:38 AM
:coffeecom I enjoy the experimentation as much as shooting itself. I feel that the work should be enjoyed as much as the results and accompanying satisfaction. That's what makes the hobby worthwhile to me.

waksupi
12-14-2010, 01:28 AM
Heck, I even build the rifles specifically for cast boolits!

malpaismike
12-14-2010, 01:37 AM
My hunting rifles all shoot well with green Rem (corelokt), so I don't mess much. However my kaboy long-range is a differen........scritchmono=e==vblkdfjldfjlkjldfjl ;kjadkljl you will now be returned to thecontrollerthisisnotahobbyitisalivestylethisisno tahobbyitisalifestylethisisnota................

geargnasher
12-14-2010, 01:46 AM
Life is a grand experiment. Casting, reloading, and shooting is no different. That's why I have a chronograph, good shooting bench, and very few reaction/plinking type targets: I'm more interested in the science and practicality of the hobby than I am about just going shooting.

Gear

gray wolf
12-14-2010, 06:23 AM
I love every second of it, and care less what other people say.
( what they know anyway Eh. )
I also like the way we share information, and learn from each other.
We hear are indeed a family, all you have to do is read the post to see it's true.
I can sit for hours making bullets and I enjoy shooting them and trying to get things as perfect as I can. Cept for my mini 14, that's one dog that wont hunt.

Sam

HighHook
12-14-2010, 07:12 AM
There is a major problem in my little world... I have finally finished filling all my cases. All the Federals for hunting the Rems have the jwords and Wins are for the perfect cast loads for all calibers. Because of so so so much work and tons of hours i dont want to shoot them because they are perfect in my silly world.
Just so i can go shooting i load all so called crappy head stamps. I am feeling like i will never get to enjoy shooting my so called best stuff because i want to save it for someday. Wow i needed to vent on that. lol

Crash_Corrigan
12-14-2010, 07:21 AM
My ambition is to fill all the cases of all my calibres of weapons and to have an ample supply for or when WTSHTF.

When I feel that I have enuf ammo then I will not feel guilty about shooting some of it.

I have a few weapons that need some TLC. A smith 357 with a busted rear sight; a 8 mm bolt rifle that does not chamber my reloads...a chamber cast is needed here; a 303 that is throwing shotgun patterns with certain loads may require a beagled mold to make a fatter slug etc.

Then I have some load development to do on my 327 Federal Magnum and I will continue to hunt down some more cases for this bruiser.

I am getting a new gun this week...a .44 Special Bisley for which I already have some ammo that was too strong for the Charter Arms Bulldog but should do well in the Bisley.

There is also a Smith Model 57 with a 4" tube in .41 Magnum that is still in the original box and has never been fired that is calling to me.......

That will require everything in .41 Calibre....molds...dies....brass.... and the list goes on and on.....will it ever end.....will I ever be done........NO NOPE NEVER.

1_Ogre
12-14-2010, 08:26 AM
Can't count the hours or is it days and weeks that I have developed loads for OTHERS even for calibers that I don't have. It's fun, relaxing, and satisfying to see the results of something that you took the time and effort for someone else. I like it.

NHlever
12-14-2010, 08:40 AM
One of the other retired guys that hangs out at the range sometimes has become a friend, and he visits while I'm testing loads sometimes. "What do you do with those cast boolit loads when you get one that shoots the way you want it" he asked one day. "Well, then I have to try other combinations, and techniques" I replied. For the past three years, or so I have been undergoing treatments most of the time that leave me tired, shaky, and yes sometimes even a bit discouraged. It has been wonderful to have a hobby like this that I can enjoy during all of this. I can't hunt much, and sometimes can't even practice much off hand, etc. but I can read, tinker, cast boolits, and try all kinds of things that I never had time for when I was younger. I feel blessed that I can afford to do some of it now (though trying a new caliber usually means trading somehing I'm not using much), and even more blessed that I have friends that understand, and places like this I can go to for information......... and to feed the fire. :D It is truly one of those cases where the journey is much more important, and fun than the destination. After nearly 50 years of reloading, and casting, I still enjoy it very much.

1Shirt
12-14-2010, 08:54 AM
Kinda sort of a different strokes for different folks proposition. It is one of the things that keeps us shooting, loading, and spending time in front of the computer on Cast Boolits.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

gnoahhh
12-14-2010, 08:59 AM
I've been experimenting with reloading for over 40 years now. With cast bullets I'll jockey alloys, lubes, velocities until I achieve the accuracy goal for that specific rifle, then lock it down and go on to something else. When loading for that rifle I then know what works and go straight to it. Infinite testing of loads isn't for me. If I hit the magic note with the first try, great. I then have more time for shooting.

Obviously, for me casting is a means to an end, not the end itself. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy experimenting with cast bullet casting as much as the next guy. I just like actually shooting even better.

curiousgeorge
12-14-2010, 09:12 AM
I think that I have been guilty of saying that sometimes I would rather reload than shoot. While this is not entirely true, I am absolutely guilty of tinkering with all of the reloading equipment, boolits, cases, etc., etc. for hours and hours. A hobby that I absolutely love that has provided years of enjoyment that I don't have to travel for hours away from the house to do. And when you run into another reloader it is like finding a long lost brother. And when I find another old reloading press that needs some TLC, another adventure begins in restoring and just learning about how all the guys that came before me (us ?) used to do this. Even with all of our improvements, some of the old, old timers shot some amazing groups with equipment and methods that sometimes seem pretty archaic.

Long live reloading, casting, and the shooting fraternity like the people on this site. Maybe we are helping to pass it on to at least some of the generations coming behind us.

Steve

DeanWinchester
12-14-2010, 09:17 AM
Great. Thanks guys.

You know you're reloading/casting nut when you work on calibers you don't even own. Lead47 don't feel alone, I have a few things I have been loading and casting that I don't own a gun for either, only I'm not doing it for someone else.:razz:

white eagle
12-14-2010, 09:57 AM
the first thing I do in the morning and the last thing I do at night
check in here at cast boolits
I have reloaded and shot more in he past six months that I have in the prior
6 years
truly enjoy casting and love to shoot
not just melting and pouring but blending and concocting (alloying)
Hi my name is Dave I'm a castaholic

dragonrider
12-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Enjoyment is all in the reloading, casting, sizing, making whatever tools, size dies and punches to make the whole part of reloading more efficient. I long ago gave up on trying for that elusive tiny group. All of my guns except for a 30 herrit barrel for my contender, can shoot better than I am capable of, so now I shoot just so I can reload.

DeanWinchester
12-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Enjoyment is all in the reloading, casting, sizing, making whatever tools, size dies and punches to make the whole part of reloading more efficient. I long ago gave up on trying for that elusive tiny group. All of my guns except for a 30 herrit barrel for my contender, can shoot better than I am capable of, so now I shoot just so I can reload.

That's funny, that happened to me too. I got into reloading so I could shoot. Now I find I shoot so I can reload. *Sigh* The craziness[smilie=w:

Jim
12-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Just now catching up with this thread.

If it weren't for my hobby of casting and handloading, I'm afraid I'd die of cabin fever. I've always been an active person. I worked in heavy construction for thirty years and that kept me busy. Now that I'm retired, I turn my attention to this more than ever.

Never mind the cost savings, I enjoy having something to do. I'm constantly inventorying my brass and boolits.

This is not just a way to keep my guns supplied with fodder. It's therapy for me. And I need a lot of that!

zomby woof
12-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Shooting is fun

Shooting with accuracy is more fun

Reloading your own ammunition and shooting with accuracy is even more fun

Casting your own boolits, reloading your own ammunition and shooting with accuracy is priceless!!!

I don't mind the cost savings either

mdi
12-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Oh Yeah! I don't know if I cast/reload to see how good I can shoot, or shoot to see how good I can cast/reload! I spend way more time at my reloading bench than I'm able to spend at the shooting bench. One reason is the "range" is 3 miles up a dirt road and it rains here 3/4 of the time, and I really enjoy casting and assembling custom ammo...:rolleyes:

John Boy
12-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Reloader28 ...I've spent many, many, many, many days loading loads just to see how they perform
Me too! In fact I spent over 2 years getting a Group Buy together and the remake of the Ideal 375166 bullet. It was calculated to have the best ratio in a 1:8 twist 38-55 of 17.65
And here's the results... First Range Test - the 38-55 Ideal 375166 (http://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13911&highlight=375166&sid=75617bc58da82872d160af3dca0cea23)

Kraschenbirn
12-14-2010, 01:07 PM
I've been shooting for over 50 years; reloading for almost as long; and casting (off and on) for the last 40 or so. After all that time, I still can't say which is more enjoyment: the challenge of developing an optimum load (for a given purpose) or the satisfaction of when it finally comes together.

Bill

Bass Ackward
12-14-2010, 01:14 PM
I have and do a little bit of everything. At times some things are more relaxing than others. Key is to HAVE options.

I enjoy the journey at times, and at times I am happy just shooting. Sometimes, I like making the stubborn gun perform. Every once in awhile I might enjoy competing, but this is the lowest reason these days. Regardless of the purpose, it's my temperament and the time that I allow or don't allow myself that makes something enjoyable or work.

And then there is defining accuracy with each situation. The tougher you define it, the more journeys are in your future. And the more control over you that journey is going to have.

I suspect that it is that way for all of us.

I "manage" my emotion state by having guns and loads that you might term as "Go To". "Go To" guns can become projects again. Those are either accurate enough or simply good enough for their task at that point in time.

I always have a project(s) for the journey when that draw my interest. Getting to a Go To point sure took some patience, fun, work, money and then pain cause you lost the patience you thought you had.

I always thought that this web site would be an asset for the beginner. Truth is, that it is information overload that there is always something new or other ways to try and DEATH for somebody that can't manage their time or patience to get to "a" Go To state they can live with.

Von Gruff
12-14-2010, 03:43 PM
What continues to be a source of enjoyment is the next idea I come up with to try. Like the OP says, load developement is a facinating part of the adiction and sometimes an end in and of itself. I have often wondered whether it is the casting, loading and just plain playing in the gun room that is at least as much fun as the shooting and testing of the resulting loads.

Von Gruff.

canyon-ghost
12-14-2010, 04:00 PM
I've begun to be able to concentrate better. There was a time when every time the treetops stopped moving, I was headed to the range. I love load development and finding the perfect (or so-called) load for my handguns. I like replicating it over and over for several hundreds of rounds.
I love to shoot, I like the range, I love my reloading room and equipment. That's never going to change.

Ron

Lively Boy
12-14-2010, 06:03 PM
when you get up in the morning and in yur minds eye you see a scale...one side is piled "house work" the other side is "casting" hmmm.... then you ignore the hw side and cast...no regrets... load and cast more then you shoot...it's an addiction quiting smoking is hard but quiting casting/reloading there is no 12 step program.

d43p
12-14-2010, 08:25 PM
I'm with you guys. Casting and shooting are great hobbies, I personally like making old cartridge guns fire again. Nothing like making brass for an old timer and get it to shoot again. Developing loads, sizing bullets, reforming brass are all in the equation.

Leadmelter
12-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Just got back into casting after a lay off of about 20 yrs when boolits were cheap.
I was in the garage casting by my lonesome self listening to Classic Rock and they had some good tunes that brought back a bunch of memories. The molds were properly adjusted and the lead mix was flowing. In a short 2.5 hrs, I casted about 25 lbs of boolits in 38 and 9mm.
I thought: Why did I stop doing this? Mainly little kids and wife and good place to do it safely.

All molds put away for a while, plenty of bullets. Inventory of stock ammo is below 1K, time to crank it up after Santa.
Everybody enjoy this time of year and remember the REAL reason for the SEASON!

Gerry

NSP64
12-14-2010, 08:42 PM
I love casting, loading and shooting in equal parts.
I cast 50 boolits, work up loads, test for accuracy.
When I get a good combination, I make a note, then move to the next mold or caliber.
If I run out of combinations to try, I buy a new mold or gun and start over with that.
It allows me to do alot of casting, loading and shooting, without getting burned out on any one aspect.

oldhickory
12-14-2010, 09:11 PM
I spend a lot more time reading, figuring, plotting, casting, experimenting, and loading than I spend at the range. It usually pays-off in the long run...And I love every minute of it!

adrians
12-14-2010, 09:12 PM
if there is such a thing as too much well i'm in that slot .,,,ask the wife !!!!:evil:[smilie=w::twisted:

JudgeBAC
12-14-2010, 09:20 PM
At last count I have 73 moulds. I spend way too much time finding the "right bullet, lube, powder, primer combination" rather than learning how to accurately shoot the darn things. I really need to work on that. But ain't it fun?

That'll Do
12-14-2010, 10:02 PM
I absolutely love this hobby. I have always been a tinkerer, and casting boolits, and working up loads is right down my alley.

I love it when I'm at the range, and I get a small crowd gathering around, watching me shoot small groups, then seeing the look on their faces when they find out I'm shooting lead bullets! Priceless!

blackpowder man
12-14-2010, 11:12 PM
Yes, This has been my therapy. It brings out the thinker, the scientist, the mechanic, and the artist. I wish it brought out the writer more so I could keep better track, but I can't always have it all. I absolutely love shooting roundballs out of brass cartridges and monster size lead bullets with black powder form same brass cartridges. I was a muzzleloader shooter for years, when I got into cartridge guns reloading was only natural, and thank goodness for the internet and folks like y'all that make this whole casting and reloading thing so great. It finally all came together and I've been unstoppable ever since.

rintinglen
12-15-2010, 12:41 AM
Boy, can I relate to most of the above.
Like most, I can not just run out and buy a new gun whenever the fancy strikes--but a new mold, heck, that's about what a night at the movies costs these days. I can always afford one of those.
And who knows, there is always that hope that I will hit the Magic Load, that perfect one hole combination of boolit, powder, primer and case that will answer all my needs. But I hope it doesn't happen soon, I am having too much fun trying out new loads and different bullets.

bigjake
12-15-2010, 12:56 AM
I shoot a fair amout of handloads but it seems that i have the most fun just casting a bunch of boolits. I have way, way more cast boolits than i'll ever need. I just keep filling coffee cans.
I also enjoy making deer jerky. my son kills the deer and i jerky em.

mustanggt
12-15-2010, 01:19 AM
Despite my thread on my casting woes of late, I love casting, reloading and then shooting them. Nothing gives me more pleasure than to see my hardwork turn into a pretty target or dead animal.

Fly-guy
12-15-2010, 02:11 AM
Thank heavens I found this post. It's nice to know that I'm not the only "normal" person around here. I enjoy casting and loading them buggers up and then shootin'em!

stainless1911
12-15-2010, 02:44 AM
I can afford to shoot now, barely. The cost of the tools is crushing, but to load up a hundred rounds with pop can deposit (10 cents a can in MI) is pretty nice. Being able to make a superior round from range brass and wheel weights that rivals the generic store brands is just awesome.

bruce381
12-15-2010, 03:35 AM
I guess I'm about like most of you when not casting i'm thinking about shooting. when shooting I'm thinking how great it is that i'm making MT's to refill that I have to cast for

XWrench3
12-15-2010, 04:44 PM
well, i guess i am a lot like you. i mean really, the chance of actually using any given load in season is once or twice a year at best. and that is if you only have one load. if you have several to choose from, the the chance to use any one particular load goes way down. of course, i am thinking big game season, not varmints or small game. we do not have a lot of varmints here, so i dont shoot many. i really envy you guys out west, who have prarie dogs to shoot. or in the south, where wild pigs run loose, wreaking havoc all over the place. although shooting pigs would be a lot more difficult than prarie dogs. plus, pigs can fight back. so, yes, i spend way more time working up differet loads, than i will ever use. by the time i am gone, i hope to have every good load for each and every gun i own, so my kids can just shoot them. if they want to shoot to work up loads, they can either buy their own guns, or throw away all of my notes!:coffeecom:Fire::Fire::Fire:

Shiloh
12-15-2010, 06:57 PM
I love it all.

shooting is the best. I call it making brass. It can be a bit tedious fining an accurate load but it is worth the effort.

Shiloh

cephas53
12-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Find that the casting and reloading is the most enjoyable aspect of the illness for me.

MaxJon
07-22-2011, 06:22 AM
Yes i am a tinkerer also, i love casting and loading my own ammo, so much so that i am thinking of replacing my .22lr rifles with something you can load/cast for. I am finding my .22s boring for this reason. One of those Ruger M77/44 magnum bolt guns may be a good .22 replacement i think. A lot more punch, and similar range with lots of moulds to choose from. I like it!

tuckerdog
07-22-2011, 06:43 AM
I'm a hopeless caster loader shooter, cant help myself. The wife says I love my toys more than her because between shooting hunting and fishing I don't seem to have time for much else.

fredj338
07-22-2011, 03:59 PM
I wouldn't say more than shooting the desired load, but I do enjoy load developemnt & trying new things. I am the consumate tinker, so I am laways messign with something in one caliber or another.

ColColt
07-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Way back when I first started reloading and before casting, I got a deep sense of satisfaction and enjoyment dong a lot of reading about others that had gone before me and whose book(s) I enjoyed on lazy Sunday afternoons. I particularly enjoyed reading two rivals(Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith) who were about as far on the opposite sides of the coin as you could get, talk of load developments and their experiences/failures and tried to apply that to myself.

I'm a big reader and experience a degree of solace in reading as that's the best way I learn. Taking notes in college listening to the professors was a chore but, I enjoyed the reading and research later and gleaned more from that.

In short, I enjoy it all immensely and living alone has it's merits in that there's no time limit imposed on me if I take hours mulling over a book or at the reloading/casting bench. To have problems in a given area and have folks lead you by the hand from their experiences and you apply that to your problem areas and watch things develop for your good is most satisfying.

casterofboolits
07-22-2011, 08:37 PM
The end result for me is the shooting and once I find a load/boolit combo that is acurate in my guns, I lock it down. I don't try the latest designer powders as what I have works. Heck I have 14 pounds of 231, several pounds of BlueDot, eight pounds of Accurate #7, couple pounds of 2400, couple of 4227, eight pounds of Accurate 2230 and some 4350 on the shelf. Oh yeah, some Unique.

This will last me the rest of my life.

Then, I have several tons of misc lead and plenty of moulds to cast the boolits I like. In addition, a large stash of primers and brass for those calibers.

My daughter's tell the grand kids that they will head for Grampa's when the zombies attack as he has enough ammo to clear the state and PB&J with crackers to keep them fed. [smilie=s: :popcorn:

reloader28
07-23-2011, 12:43 AM
Caster, it sounds like you have a decent start on your powder selection. One of these days maybe you"ll catch up.;)

Me and the middle daughter shot up 300 rounds of 380, 38, 357 last night just so I could change the loads in them. Got another 150 or so to go. Its not good to have a certain load sit around for too long without changing it you know.

She really liked my 190gr 357mag loads. Especially when ripped the gong off the stand. She thought that was funny. Back to the welder.:p

Everyone thinks I'm crazy until they come over and shoot for an evening.

Marlin Junky
07-23-2011, 06:20 PM
It's all fun... cast, load, shoot and repeat. [smilie=p:

Setting goals, working toward goals, either obtaining goals or not... again, it's all fun... and a great learning experience too.

Only problem is finding the time to do it all. If I new 30 years ago how much fun this would be, I would have gone to gunsmithing school, majored in cast boolit rifles and did my masters thesis on boolit casting and lube making. :bigsmyl2:

MJ