PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing out a bore w/ copper patched boolits

Marlin Junky
12-13-2010, 06:23 PM
Basically, is this feasible and if so, do I shoot 'em fast, or what?

The patient is a '52 vintage M70 in 30-'06 and every time I shoot it there is a gray wash in the same narrow location near the muzzle. When I use boolits with more Sb, it gets worse much quicker. I've been trying to keep the velocities below 2000 fps during this development phase and accuracy really goes to pot once I exceed 1900 fps with the worse groups associated to a commercial cast SAECO 316 at about 154-155 grains with the GC in place. The rifle also has a tendency to print the first two rounds from a clean barrel touching and the next round nearly two inches away. I just started shooting .3095" boolits today but I suspect it actually may shoot a little bit better with a little more diameter even though the barrel measures between .308" and .309" in the grooves.

Anyone out there ever have a problem with rough patches in the bore that was solved by shooting a bunch of jacketed bullets? Even though this rifle is decades old, it's been in my wife's family since the early 60's and not shot much.

MJ

kir_kenix
12-13-2010, 08:28 PM
I had a rough spot in a '06 Rem 7600, even after 1,500 rounds (mostly 110 gr rn) of jacketed ammo, and maybe 2,000 various CB's. Started playing around with PP'ing (various paper, wraps, etc) and the rough spot seems to have gone away.

I think that some of the more abrasive paper that we patch with might actually smooth out the rough spot better then firing a ton of expensive jacketed ammo down the tube.

markinalpine
12-13-2010, 08:30 PM
You might check Brownells site. They have two types of felt "pellets" that fit on an adapter and are used with Kroil and J-B Bore paste to smooth out the bore. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=13839/Product/WEAPONS_CARE_SYSTEM_PELLETS
There is a related video too. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=13084/learn/Using_JB_Bore_Paste_and_Kroil_with_the_VFG_Bore_Pe llets
Good luck,
and Merry Christmas,
Mark [smilie=s:

MtGun44
12-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Very fine grit rolled into j bullets, like 400 to 600 grit range will do it quicker.

Look up Tubbs' 'final finish' set.

Bill