PDA

View Full Version : Casting technique

Von Gruff
12-12-2010, 05:26 PM
After a lot of years casting the way I always did I found a way that the boolits fall out of the mould more easily.

I hold the mould, in this case a 2 cavity, firmly to fill then place it on the top boolit dump tray on my casting box and relax my hand till the sprue sets them pick it up again but loosly so my hand dosent cramp. A quick ' whack' with my brass tubed wooden dowel and the sprue falls into the bowel then the the change is that I turn the mould over so the sprue plate is underneath and open the mould. I have found the boolit drops much more often without a tap (on the side of the handle right at the centre of the block rather than the hinge pin, and no I never touch the moulb block with the ' whacker'). After the boolit drops I tip the sprue from the bowel back into the melt and roll the droped boolits into the holding tray of the casting box, close the mould and repeat the previous steps. I have found a slower cadence has improved the drop even more and casting is a very relaxed affair now. I cast up a batch yesterday and only intended a short session but they were droping so well I was there for about 500 @ 160gn 7mm boolits.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/003-7.jpg

This is yesterdays effort.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/0032.jpg

Von Gruff.

44man
12-13-2010, 09:10 AM
NICE BOOLITS! :castmine:

1Shirt
12-13-2010, 05:49 PM
They look good!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Gelandangan
12-13-2010, 06:08 PM
After the boolit drops I tip the sprue from the bowel back into the melt

Sounds like good bowel movement :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2::kidding:

casterofboolits
12-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Impresive production! And the Boolits are cute!

JeffinNZ
12-13-2010, 10:44 PM
You casting in the outhouse Gruff???

LOL.

12-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Nice set up, like that box. Is the shed vented well?

Von Gruff
12-14-2010, 03:28 PM
It is an open fronted covered area in the courtyard that I used to park my motorcycles in. Ventilation is constant and have gates round the area with canvas on to keep any wind disturbance to a min. Gates were to keep the larger dogs I had from cocking a leg on the bikes.

Von Gruff.