PDA

View Full Version : question

cooterdog
12-12-2010, 05:04 PM
I have a question but as of yet no pics of the mould or sizing. I got offered the mould and it has has a round ball and a round nose bullet cavity together in one mould. I know its made of Brass with built in handles no markings that I noticed. I dont have access to calipers where I'm at so here goes. Round ball weighs 138.7138(approx grains) and the RN bullet weighs 192.889(approx grains). He cant use it as it wont fit his .44cal and is smaller then a .50cal. Assuming it is a 45cal. What caliper numbers would it be on a dial so I can check it when I get home.

DIRT Farmer
12-12-2010, 05:37 PM
That is about right for one of the cap and ball revolvers. In the past some were sold with starter sets including moulds of a round ball and a conical. Diamaters between .454 and .457.

cooterdog
12-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Maybe I'll take a chance and get it. Its in pretty good shape!

1Shirt
12-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Unless you are shooting cap and ball, you are probably wasting your time an money. Those little Itialian made molds are IMHO somewhere between useless and a pain in the tush!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

quilbilly
12-13-2010, 01:58 PM
It sounds like a .445 round ball since my 440 rb's weigh in at around 132 plus or minus depending on alloy.

Bret4207
12-14-2010, 07:57 AM
Agree with 1st shirt, unless you have a C+B leave it. They weren't very good moulds to start with.

Wayne Smith
12-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Not only are they not particularly good quality molds they heat up very fast and are impossible to hold beyond about five casts without welding gloves, and not much longer with welding gloves. They really need wooden handles attached.

mdi
12-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Well, I don't have a black powder gun, but I do have a round ball mold! I have a .44 cal mold that makes perfect ammo for my Wrist Rocket. I'm not one of those guys that'll tell someone not to buy something 'cause it's a waste of time/money. If you have a hankering for something, whether is is the perfect tool or not, buy it. Some of my favorite "stuff" is less than perfect for the job, but I still like them (single cavity molds; "don't buy them they're a waste of time, get a 6 cavity"), or my 30 lb. smelting pot ("you'll waste time and propane using thar small pot"). This is all my hobby. I do it for enjoyment. I don't have a quota nor a time limit. If I think buying or using a junky brass mold will be fun, or to see how my great grandpa did it (or if it will look good on the wall!), I'd get it.

That being said, there are much better molds out there to learn on, those made of aluminum and iron. Today's molds are much, much more precise and easier to use.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but a lot of fun and learning is bypassed sometimes by "good" advise. :bigsmyl2:

P.S. Yep, I do have stuff I don't use; a set of Herter's dies in a caliber that I don't have, and a Smart Reloader "C"press, a Lyman/Ideal 310 without dies and even (O.M.G.) Lee Loaders for each caliber I shoot...[smilie=l:

Skipper488
12-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Lee makes an 18 cavity 00 buck mold that would make lots of wrist rocket ammo in a hurry. http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1292249961.4069=/html/catalog/blackpow.html#shotgun