PDA

View Full Version : Top Punch for Lee .476-325-RF

louscip
12-12-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm casting for a 480 ruger and need a top punch for the Lee .476-325-RF mold for my Lyman 4500 lube sizer. Anybody out there know of one that will work?

Fulmaduro
08-09-2017, 08:03 AM
7 y/o thread! No answers. I hope this will help somebody searching this topic as 480 Ruger is back and has some followers! I have been looking for top punch info for 480 Ruger (.475-6") and could find nothing for Lee's C476-325-RF or 476-400-RF. Still don't know a top punch Lyman or RCBS that will fit. BUT good info for those using RCBS mould 82094 476-400-SWC. Top punch is #638, PN 85638, .476" sizer die PN 82237. This info out of 2017 RCBS catalog. Any 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh casters can get top punches for the LBT WFN, WLN, LFN series series of bullets for $10 at LBT site. The top punch for the WFN also fits the WLN. I am betting one of these top punches will work for the Lee bullets. These top punches are for Lyman or RCBS sizers only. When I get some I will try them out and post my results.

gwpercle
08-11-2017, 05:25 PM
And don't forget that if the punch is close to fitting but not quite an exact match just use J B Weld epoxy or epoxy putty to custom fit the boolit nose to the punch...I've done this on several top punches for Lee designs...works like a charm.
After 7 years I bet he found one !

Fulmaduro
08-11-2017, 11:02 PM
I just posted on this old thread in case somebody searching like I was finds it and it might help out. I will try the JB Weld trick. Did you have to spray the bullet with a release agent (or just wipe lube over ogive) or does lead not stick to the JB Weld? I will probably wipe soft soft lube just to be sure. Much thanks.

gwpercle
08-12-2017, 06:37 PM
I just posted on this old thread in case somebody searching like I was finds it and it might help out. I will try the JB Weld trick. Did you have to spray the bullet with a release agent (or just wipe lube over ogive) or does lead not stick to the JB Weld? I will probably wipe soft soft lube just to be sure. Much thanks.
It will stick...use some kind of release on the bullet, light grease , soft lube , Vaseline , Paste wax.
Clean and degrease the nose punch, you want it to stick to the inside of it. I polish with steel wool and degrease with acetone , brake cleaner, lacquer thinner on a Q-Tip or two.
I like J-B Weld Steel-Stik Putty, easier to control drips than with liquid.
Install cleaned nose punch in sizer, insert small ball of epoxy putty , lower punch down onto bullet and carefully guide bullet about half way into die....let the putty set up , one hour I think...see directions.
The carefully remove, scrape off any excess and let epoxy fully cure , 24 hours and it will be done. When cured it will be very hard.
I have one so modified that's at least 20 years old and doing the job.
Gary