PDA

View Full Version : 210gr LBT @ 1000fps ???

cigg52
12-12-2010, 02:23 PM
I have a S&W 657 .41mag. I would like to shoot cast bullet at about 1000-110fps.
Reason being I don't want to beat up the pistol or me.
My question is could I shoot a 210gr BHN (22) at that speed or would I need a softer bullet ?

RobS
12-12-2010, 03:06 PM
If the bullet fit is right for your cylinder throats and your guns cylinder throats to barrel groove diameter is good then they should work. Do you need a 22 BHN bullet? Maybe, maybe not depends on your gun, what you are planning on shooting at and a variety of several other things.

cigg52
12-12-2010, 03:55 PM
These will be target loads for now, and maybe for deer next fall. I am going to buy some 210gr LBT from Montana Bullets works, and if they shoot good I would like to buy that mold from LBT, if it still available.

RobS
12-12-2010, 05:47 PM
You will be able to get the mold from Veral at LBT anytime as he takes orders. I've looked at Montana Bullet Works site and at the LBT 210 your talking about. It does appear to be a LBT bullet. The 210 design is right at a 72%-73% as their decription states .300" meplat which is what Veral designs his 41 cal LFN's at, but I can't say as to the length since I don't have those measurements. I don't know for sure if Montana Bullet Works actually uses an LBT mold or if they are using a LBT style mold for their casting. Either which way for all practical purposes it is very, very similar if it isn't a Veral LBT. One thing to note as I have no clue as to your guns cylinder length, but it is possible that this design with a .420 nose length will be too long for your S&W.

If you are going to go the route and get yourself a mold from LBT there are a few things to iron out such as cylinder throat diameters for starters as he will make sure the bullet cast out at those diameters or a touch larger so you can size them down if needed. He'll also want to know what alloy you are planning on casting with so he knows what dimensions to cut the mold to. He may also taylor the bullet nose length to fit your revolver's cylinder length.

AbitNutz
12-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Maybe this is apples and bowling balls but I shoot my 5-1/2" Ruger Old Army black powder revolver with 210 grain pure lead bullets at just under 1100 fps. The cylinders have been deepened and I use as much Triple 7 as it will hold. The velocity was measured using my CED2 chronograph.

I guess the point is: I have no leading problems at all and I use pure lead bullets. They have a single giant grease groove but I have no reason to try and shoot a harder alloy. I have had the cylinder chamfered, barrel face trued and the throat opened up so that may be part of it.

cigg52
12-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I don't think the OAL will be a problem the S&W cylinder.
My concern is the 22 BHN of the bullet would not bump up at that velocity and cause blow by and that might lead the bore.

Shooter6br
12-12-2010, 07:26 PM
I use 16/1 alloy to 20/1 alloy with 8 grains unique with 215 g cast. In my 657 i lube with Emment's lube. No leading

RobS
12-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I don't think the OAL will be a problem the S&W cylinder.
My concern is the 22 BHN of the bullet would not bump up at that velocity and cause blow by and that might lead the bore.

If the bullet fit is good and your revolver is put together right then you don't need obturation.

Cylinder throats that are .001 larger (sometimes .002-.003 in some revolvers) than your barrels groove diameter it allows for a large enough bullet to be shot where there is not a need for obturation as the bullet will already "fit" the barrel. All this assuming you size your bullets to the cylinder throat diameter.

Slug the barrel with a soft (straight lead slug preferably) if you haven't and then make sure that slug will go through each one of the cylinder throats. This will tell you if the cylinder throats are larger than the groove diameter of the barrel. If the bore slug fits through the cylinder throats then you just need to figure out what the cylinder throats are and size bullets to their diameter.

I hope I am making sense for you.

45r
12-12-2010, 08:45 PM
The most accurate PB boolit out of my scoped bisley hunter is the saeco 210 making 3 inch groups at 75 yards using unique.It's been firelapped also.

cigg52
12-12-2010, 09:09 PM
45r What alloy are you using with that 210 saeco ? I had a Ruger SBH bisley but traded it for a Marlin 45-70.

quilbilly
12-13-2010, 01:40 AM
I have the Lee tumble lube semi-wadcutter 41 mold casting 210 gr boolits that I use in both my Contender 14" and my Ruger Blackhawk. The alloy is about 15. With 6.6 gr of Bullseye I am getting 1260 from the Contender and about 1020 from the Blackhawk. It is a very pleasant load to shoot at targets, quite accurate, and has enough zip either for deer or smaller bear at reasonable ranges.

Bret4207
12-13-2010, 07:25 AM

FIT THE BOOLIT TO THE GUN and you won;t need to worry about getting the boolit to "bump up". Basic cast shooting 101.

GLynn41
12-13-2010, 02:56 PM
I have talked to MBW and they do tend to use LBT molds-- they are nice folk -- you have all the wisdom you need sally forth and shoot --but I wonder if you are doing the casting do you need 22Bhn? -- Certainly you can but plain ole ww work great at that speed or more -- anyway have fun -- the.420 nose will work in a S&W I use the Lyman 410459 Keith type and it's nose is .42-- have used this bullet in at least 6 different 57's and one 657 -- nary a problem