PDA

View Full Version : where to buy 100% wool felt

corey012778
12-12-2010, 01:53 PM
I bought an hollow hole punch set the last time I was in FL. I am wanting to cut my own felt wads.

anyone have any good sites that may carry rolls or sheets of felt?

zdogk9
12-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Go to your local thrift store and look for felt hats.

KCSO
12-12-2010, 02:38 PM
I get all mine from the thrift store I buy any hat that is marked wool felt and they work just fine.

357maximum
12-12-2010, 02:39 PM
http://www.durofelt.com/image_19.html

I am a very happy customer of duro-felt products. Ms. Sahita is very nice to deal with and is speedy on shipping. I see they are closing on the 20th so if you are going to order, you need to do it now. She is a one woman show working out of her garage and she is obviously taking an extended vacation. I would guess she is going home to visit family.

I buy the FM18HDS-24 and punch all my wads with automotive gasket punches from my cheap chicong punch set then soak them in my lube.

12-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Try here and look at the high density/heavy felt grades. They have many thicknesses and good assortment. They usually have seconds at a lower price. Have always treated me well when I called and ordered.
http://www.durofelt.com/

357max beat me to it.:)

n.h.schmidt
12-12-2010, 02:54 PM
I have bought felt weather stripping at my local hardware store.It comes rolled up in plastic bags .Price wasn't bad either.Its about 3/16" thick and cuts just fine.
Everything you could want for felt.
n.h.schmidt

357maximum
12-12-2010, 03:02 PM
I have bought felt weather stripping at my local hardware store.It comes rolled up in plastic bags .Price wasn't bad either.Its about 3/16" thick and cuts just fine.
Everything you could want for felt.
n.h.schmidt

I would be very curious as to the composition of that "felt". Is there a materials list on the packaging by chance ?

Alan
12-12-2010, 04:55 PM
I can second the recommendation on durofelt. They also sell bottles of lanolin for mixing your own lube.

n.h.schmidt
12-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Hi Maxi
I will have to get back the the store to check the brand name and see if there is anything other than felt in it. It looks like felt and feels like felt. It's very much like the premade lubed felt wads you can buy. In any case the wads I have cut out have all worked well enough. I soak em in a melted lube like bore butter or wonderlube. Sometimes I have put a drop of liquid lube on them and put it down on the powder charge. Then the patched ball comes next. It all helps control the fowling build up.

Hellgate
12-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Ask for SCRAPS of felt and mention that you are needing it for small lube wads. You will get the best deal with scraps as you don't need any specific shape to punch out little discs.

RBak
12-18-2010, 09:15 PM
http://www.durofelt.com/image_19.html

I am a very happy customer of duro-felt products. Ms. Sahita is very nice to deal with and is speedy on shipping. I see they are closing on the 20th so if you are going to order, you need to do it now. She is a one woman show working out of her garage and she is obviously taking an extended vacation. I would guess she is going home to visit family.

I buy the FM18HDS-24 and punch all my wads with automotive gasket punches from my cheap chicong punch set then soak them in my lube.

Maxi, just curious as to why you choose the FM18HDS-24?

From the chart provided it seems the HDS is High Density Soft, then of course there is the Medium, Hard, and Rock Hard....guess my question really is, is the soft "hard" enough when you have another choice?

Have you tried any of the other? I'm certainly not questioning your judgment, just wondering if the "hard" would not actually scrape the barrel better when loading? That may be a bit off base, but it somehow seemed prudent when I thought of it...LOL

Yesterday I finished up an old cowboy looking hat and who knows what its composition really was....I mean it was probably $15 when it was brand new and how much real felt should one expect, but it still seemed to work OK.
Certainly made a believer out of me on using wads under any conical, and it works quite well with round ball too.

Thanks, Russ

John Boy
12-18-2010, 11:25 PM
FYI ... Ashia at Duro-Felt accommodated us shooters many years ago with smaller quantities of F-1 felt. Here's the page ... http://www.durofelt.com/image_26.html
Her felt is 100% quality wool. I've been buying from her for many years. If you are BPCR shooter also, give felt wads a try, they work for good accuracy protecting the bases of the heavy bullets

corey012778
12-19-2010, 12:29 AM
thanks I booked marked the page. going to order after they open back up. i have an ton of projects starting after the first of the year

mooman76
12-19-2010, 12:52 AM
I've never tried it yet but plan to some day. Wouldn't a wool blanket work or would it be too thick?

Hellgate
12-19-2010, 02:46 AM
The F-1 felt sheeting is unwoven wool felt. You can also "felt" wool fabric by taking a piece of wool fabric and boiling it in water, cooling it, drying it in a hot clothes dryer and it will shrink considerably as well as form a fuzzy surface. I've felted wool fabric to make wads. They worked fine and are cheaper that true felt but are not a firm. I suspect that the Wonder Wads are a felted wool fabric that has been shaved and treated with Wonder Lube 1000 as i seem to recall seeing a weave running through the center thickness of the wads.

mooman76
12-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Maybe I will give it a try anyway. Couldn't hurt much and I more or less have a free supply.

Baron von Trollwhack
12-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Yepper, you can use a wool felt blanket. The bits I've used were always sort of threadbare, so I used 2 wads. The only kinda wool looking hats I ever found in NC thrift stores appeared to have belonged to pimp daddies, and I was sure they would not work. Ex-cowboy western hats, or an old farmer's fedora would probably work very well.

BvT

357maximum
12-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Maxi, just curious as to why you choose the FM18HDS-24?

From the chart provided it seems the HDS is High Density Soft, then of course there is the Medium, Hard, and Rock Hard....guess my question really is, is the soft "hard" enough when you have another choice?

Have you tried any of the other? I'm certainly not questioning your judgment, just wondering if the "hard" would not actually scrape the barrel better when loading? That may be a bit off base, but it somehow seemed prudent when I thought of it...LOL

Yesterday I finished up an old cowboy looking hat and who knows what its composition really was....I mean it was probably $15 when it was brand new and how much real felt should one expect, but it still seemed to work OK.
Certainly made a believer out of me on using wads under any conical, and it works quite well with round ball too.

Thanks, Russ

Russ

I was given a small chunk of the same from another shooter. It worked extremenly well and I looked no further when I made my order. I kinda followed the herd on this one.[smilie=l:

Michael

RBak
12-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Russ

I was given a small chunk of the same from another shooter. It worked extremenly well and I looked no further when I made my order. I kinda followed the herd on this one.[smilie=l:

Michael

Michael, seems you have made a good choice.....in answer to my own question, I was doing some reading when I came across this;

W.W. Greener in his book “The Gun and It’s Development” says this about wool felt;... “The secret of good shooting is in the employment of a first-class felt wad over the powder; and it is inperative that this wad be of good quality. The texture must be close and firm, but the relative hardness or softness of the wad is of less moment. The felt wad serves to clean the fouling in the barrel left from the firing of the previous charge.”

I assume that "relative hardness or softness of the wad is of less moment", means that it is of less importance....perhaps a style of writing at the time.
Anyway, it seems ya did good!
Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Russ