PDA

View Full Version : Source of custom sizing dies

inthebeech
12-12-2010, 10:28 AM
I am wondering if a die exists, or can someone make one, that screws in my regular reloading press and simply swages down as-cast bullets (no GC) that get tumble lubed either before or after this step. Lee I know makes something but since I would be needing a custom size diameter (.433), I am looking at a custom piece of equipment anyway. Lee can make me exactly what I am looking for. I am just wondering if there are any other options and frankly am interested in your input on the idea itself. There doesn't appear to be much of a market for sizing dies for folks who want to use their press BECAUSE they are tumble lubricating and don't need a sizer-lubricator.
When the new mold comes, I am hoping of course that I can shoot as cast; this idea is my back up should the diameter need to be reduced a bit and I'd rather not do it through altering the bullet alloy or other means.
Thanks all,
Ed

Houndog
12-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Lee is probably your best bet, but you might persuade Buckshot to make you one.

I'm just guessing on the last one.

Maven
12-12-2010, 10:52 AM
You may also want to consider Smokemjoe for the work/die you want to have done.

deltaenterprizes
12-12-2010, 11:09 AM
You can open up a LEE .429 die by rolling it back and forth on your thigh with a dowel wrapped with fine wet or dry sand paper and some oil. Go slowly and check often. Do you have a micrometer?

bruce drake
12-12-2010, 11:31 AM
I recommend Buckshot. He's made a couple of those same type of push-through dies for me and I recommend the quality control and the speed of delivery as well the total cost. If I need another push-through die, I know I will send him a note quicker than I would LEE's custom shop.

Bruce

RobS
12-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Lee will take more time in most cases vs Buckshot, a forum member here and doing it yourself by honing out a .429 or .430 die will be your fastest means if you are comfortable modifying a die. I've never had a Smokemjoe die so can't comment on his work.

I've honed out several dies myself these days.

Wayne Smith
12-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Rick (Buckshot) would be my first choice. He's done a lot of work for me, all of it good quality.

calkar
12-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Ranch Dog has them, made by lee to RD specs. .432. I just traded one away, along with a RD oversize mold.

stainless1911
12-12-2010, 08:30 PM
deltaenterprizes