PDA

View Full Version : OUCH! Lee 358 105 gr SWC in a CZ75?

prickett
12-11-2010, 06:37 PM
I bought the Lee 358 105gr SWC because the Lee 358 125gr RFN is too tight to consistently chamber. Unfortunately, of the 15 105's I tried shooting today, over half failed to chamber due to the cartridge being canted in the chamber (I suspect the shoulder of the SWC was getting stuck inside the chamber.

Does anyone out there shoot the 105 gr in their CZ? If so, what is your secret to getting it to run reliably?

(BTW, I loaded so that there is just a small amount of shoulder sticking beyond the case).

SWANEEDB
12-11-2010, 06:44 PM
I have not had a problem using a taper crimp die.

MtGun44
12-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Remove the barrel and use it as a guage to set seating depth and TC degree. Rounds
should ideally drop into place, but a 1 lb finger pressure is OK.

Bill

prickett
12-11-2010, 11:56 PM
My problem isn't seating depth (I don't think). Its that the bullet is not straightening out upon entry into the chamber, its still at a steep angle.

If I remove the mag and insert the single bullet into the chamber parallel to the barrel, it goes to battery just fine. I think its the steep angle the bullet enters the barrel combined with a lack of bullet curvature (ogive) to guide the bullet into the chamber that's the problem.

I'm curious if anyone has been successful getting this bullet formfactor to feed in a CZ.

Mk42gunner
12-12-2010, 12:54 AM
My suggestion is to make up a few dummy rounds. start with the boolits seated out to far, then gradually seat them deeper until you get decent feeding by manually cycling the action.

I had problems with some deep seated 155 gr SWC in a .40 S&W TZ-75, that is how I solved the problem.

Robert

chris in va
12-12-2010, 02:18 AM
I bought the Lee 358 105gr SWC because the Lee 358 125gr RFN is too tight to consistently chamber.

I've put a couple thousand 125's through my 75BD.

noylj
12-12-2010, 02:45 AM
I use the barrel as a case gauge. I shot them as-cast with LLA as the only lube. They shoot very well out of my CZ75s.
I expand and flare with the lee PTE die such that the bullet can rest on the case mouth without the case mouth making contact with the bullet. I use the standard RN plug from Lee.
Do not try to just flare the case mouth--the case ID must be expanded to just under bullet diameter.
Use just enough taper crimp to make the case mouth parallel. The Lee FCD also works OK, but it wants to swage the bullet down with hurts accuracy.

PbSnSb
12-12-2010, 12:36 PM
The Lee 105 SWC works very well in my CZ75B SA when seated to the bottom of the top band.

Gee_Wizz01
12-12-2010, 12:52 PM
I believe MK42Gunner is on the money about seating depth and OAL. I don't shoot a CZ, but in most auto pistols I seem to get best functioning by seating bullets using a longer oal. The longer length will usually give you a shallower entry angle into the chamber. Too long and the round jam against the feed ramp. Some pistols are just finicky about bullet shapes. Again I don't own a CZ. Make up several dummies per MK42Gunner's post and give them a try. Good Luck

G

prickett
12-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Thanks for all the responses! There is plenty of good information for me to make use of.

I have not had a problem using a taper crimp die.

When posting an answer, could you clarify which of the two bullets I mentioned you are referring to? Some folks are answering with regards to the 125gr. RF and others are referring to the 105gr. SWC. Just to keep it clear, could you state which you are referring to? Thanks!

I too use a taper crimp die, with just the slightest bit of crimp (refers to both bullets).

prickett
12-12-2010, 02:49 PM
I believe MK42Gunner is on the money about seating depth and OAL. I don't shoot a CZ, but in most auto pistols I seem to get best functioning by seating bullets using a longer oal. The longer length will usually give you a shallower entry angle into the chamber. Too long and the round jam against the feed ramp. Some pistols are just finicky about bullet shapes. Again I don't own a CZ. Make up several dummies per MK42Gunner's post and give them a try. Good Luck

G

Ahhhhh, OK. Several folks referred to OAL and I assumed that was for the chambering/failure to go to battery aspect. Thanks for clarifying that it also affects the entry angle.

Will try out different seating depths to see if one allows reliable magazine feeding.

Thanks!

mpmarty
12-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Try a different magazine. Sounds to me like the mag lips are releasing too soon.

prickett
12-12-2010, 02:53 PM
The Lee 105 SWC works very well in my CZ75B SA when seated to the bottom of the top band.

What diameter do you size them to? I get leading at less than .358, so I'm wondering if that minimal seating depth will cause contact of the bullet to the lands and prevent going to battery.

I'll most certainly try this though.

Thanks!

prickett
12-12-2010, 07:07 PM

Just loaded up a batch of 105gr. dummies and they fed when I lengthened them to 1.000"! (which is the seated to just cover the forward grease groove)

I'm stoked! Thanks for the advice.

prickett
12-12-2010, 07:11 PM
I've put a couple thousand 125's through my 75BD.

Using the "barrel as a case gauge" technique several folks suggested, I was able to get a batch of 15 dummies to feed/chamber/go to battery successfully. Hopefully I'm on my way to putting 1000's thru my CZ as well! Thanks.

Will
12-13-2010, 09:13 AM
I found that if you twist the loaded round into a patch of steel wool held between your fingers just enough to ease the sharp edge of the SWC it will feed every time.

prickett
12-13-2010, 05:51 PM
I found that if you twist the loaded round into a patch of steel wool held between your fingers just enough to ease the sharp edge of the SWC it will feed every time.

Thanks for the suggestion. I hope to not need to do that, but sounds like something I might want to do for match bullets.

hedgehorn
12-18-2010, 02:39 AM
the boolit maybe hitting the slide stop. I had to re-shape mine.

JIMinPHX
12-18-2010, 07:50 AM
My problem isn't seating depth (I don't think). Its that the bullet is not straightening out upon entry into the chamber, its still at a steep angle.

If I remove the mag and insert the single bullet into the chamber parallel to the barrel, it goes to battery just fine. I think its the steep angle the bullet enters the barrel combined with a lack of bullet curvature (ogive) to guide the bullet into the chamber that's the problem.

I'm curious if anyone has been successful getting this bullet formfactor to feed in a CZ.

I don't know much about CZs, but in a 1911, you can get a much more straight feed into the chamber by changing the shape of the feed lips on your magazines.

Post #5 in this thread shows what I am talking about -
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=42221

evan price
12-18-2010, 08:14 AM
The 105 SWC is a great l'il boolit, but you might try the Lee 356-120-gr-TC sized to .357"- I find it feeds much better and not as sensitive to OAL in a variety of nines.

prickett
12-19-2010, 08:37 PM
The 105 SWC is a great l'il boolit, but you might try the Lee 356-120-gr-TC sized to .357"- I find it feeds much better and not as sensitive to OAL in a variety of nines.

I'd LOVE to use the TC, but unfortunately, I need the diameter of the .358 SWC.