PDA

View Full Version : I'm BACK

charger 1
10-17-2006, 06:33 AM
I think I was out west for 3 weeks or so,lookin for them elks. Man I'll tell you they can be one illusive pwik. I buggled,and cow called in a spot where my young friend had brought me for mulitiple days,and notta. My man turned in sick causing me to mull around town a bit. I went into a little outdoor store that we had been in before. The ol boy asked me how it was,of course I said well not to good,I got not a hint of elk and now its looking over. He said where you's been huntin?After tellin him,he said no no,all wrong,be back here at 4;30 tomorrow infront of my shop we'll go get you set up.....oky doky...Next AM we get drivin down the road and man I thought I new my animals,,,,HA. This man knows when the elk fart last.He's tellin me how to adjust my call,where to look for the dominant bull if we see some,etc,etc,etc.....So when we get there he's got us set up before first light at the side of a BIG natural medow. You'd think you were in the middle of a farmers frikin field....There isnt an emoticon on here to describe how much my eyes rolled.....He whispered OK bugle once,wait then cow twice. I did this routine about 5 times in a half hour. As light broke you could see a set of antlers come to the top of the knowl,not long after another.But they came that far(about 700 yds) and that was it. The ol boy had told me that the little guys will be curious first but the big boy will come from behind and they';ll part the red sea when he does...Sure enough it sounded like a freight train whistle when the bugle came from about 4 knowls over.Ol boy said cow in heat now junior,oky doky.Then it bugled only half the distance.He said okay we'll just sit on our hands now and see how far that brings him......Well sirs,,over the frikin hill like a steamroller,when the others heard him commin they tripped over themselves stepping aside. I had given the ol boy my range finder which I find a must when shooting the 350 lbt wfn's outta the marlin 45/70...As the big boy came lopping down an old fence line he was staying tight to to get around us and smell us I said to buddy count the points. When he got to 6 I said distance please.236. OK over back 6" forward 8" and launch,for more big lopes and nose plant before I could even get another in the gun.Through the lungs both sides you could stick to fingers in....7x7 almost perfectly typical roosevelt. I wanta get him scored by someone who knows his beeswax.Butcher guestimated 1050 to 1075 live weight
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/Chargerdive/meanddon-1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/Chargerdive/HPIM0823.jpg
So I've boiled off head and getting him ready to go european:castmine:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/Chargerdive/HPIM0826.jpg

rugerman1
10-17-2006, 06:58 AM
FANTASTIC!:drinks:

Four Fingers of Death
10-17-2006, 08:41 AM
That is one hell of a head. I'm not really into travel, but I think I might have to get on a plane with my 444 and get an elk and a bair or two before I hang up my spurs. Mick.

JDL
10-17-2006, 09:12 AM
Most excellent!! Congratulations, charger 1! -JDL

Boz330
10-17-2006, 09:19 AM
Very nice bull!
Just looking at the pictures I would think he will go 320 to 340 SCI. They can deffinately be a chalenge to hunt, sort of like a turkey with a sense of smell. In the area I use to guide in they had been called to so much that they wouldn't hardly respond to a call, let alone come to it, especially after daylight.

Bob

Bass Ackward
10-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Charger,

Nice picture. It's sometimes hard to believe that animals of that size still exist in the wild with all the hunting pressure these days.

Rainbow trajectory huh? What happened to the Lott? Could of held POA. Oh well, maybe next time. So you think you held 6" over. How much drop actually occurred?

Did the meat smell from rut? From your description, didn't sound as if he was full tilt in his thought process. Did the guy tell you where he thought the cycle was in that area?

charger 1
10-17-2006, 03:59 PM
From what I heard they had JUST started the rut. I'm 2" high at 100 meters. I hit him a foot down from the top. As it was it was clean but I wouldnt have wanted it to have been much lower

swheeler
10-17-2006, 04:03 PM
Charger; Nice bull and with your own bullet too! Congratulations.

waksupi
10-17-2006, 08:19 PM
That's a dandy! The rut has been going on for about a month up here, and we are still hearing bulls bugle during the day. That ol' boy will help build up your jaw muscles!

9.3X62AL
10-17-2006, 09:35 PM
WELL DONE, sir! Very happy for you.

Gunload Master
10-17-2006, 10:12 PM
That is very sweet Charger! Very very well done sir. I am getting ready for my hunt which starts the 25th for bull. Be out with Elk and mule deer for at least a week!
Congrats!

Nrut
10-17-2006, 11:09 PM
NICE bull Charger...you hit the jackpot for sure!

Bigjohn
10-18-2006, 08:32 PM
Hey Charger,
Congratulations, Sounds like the man knew his stuff and was willing to share as well as you doing your bit too!

Many years of stories in that one.

:drinks:

John.

charger 1
10-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Hey Charger,
Congratulations, Sounds like the man knew his stuff and was willing to share as well as you doing your bit too!

Many years of stories in that one.

:drinks:

John.

Ya that sure is rare huh. I've never had a hard time showing other folk to game cause the way I look at it a smile is a smile. who cares who's face its on. This ol boy and I just cogged like gears. Lots wont help ya. du ell with em,who needs em eh. I dont think that ol boy will be dissappointed at whats under his christmas tree

Bullshop
10-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Matthew
5:44
BIC/BS

felix
10-24-2006, 02:17 PM
The Beatitudes, for those who do not know, are the 10 commandments offered by Christ. They represent what you MUST do, as opposed to the 10 commandments offered by God which exclaim what you CANNOT do. No the Beautitudes are not Beauty-tudes, but Be-attitudes. ... felix