PDA

View Full Version : Small ladle

Jim
12-10-2010, 02:24 PM
I found a 1 ounce one piece stainless steel LADLE (http://www.instawares.com/update-international-stainless-steel.uin-lop10.0.7.htm?LID=GRBR&srccode=cii_5784816&cpncode=24-119672721-2) for about a buck. I'm gonna get one. I thinkthis would do good for me. My hands are not as steady or strong as they used to be. If I spill any alloy, it won't be much.
I'll have to bend the handle to make it straight with the scoop and put a little spout on the side, but that don't take much to do.

onondaga
12-10-2010, 05:06 PM
I've seen those at Dollar General too. They are pretty thin metal for a casting ladle and might really heat up fast and cool fast. but for a buck---worth a try.

Jim
12-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Heatin' and coolin' fast might be good.

jcwit
12-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Probably be OK. I happen to like the Lee Ladle, most say it's to small but I like it.

Von Gruff
12-10-2010, 07:21 PM
I made a ladle for myself when I was starting out not only to save the cost of buying one but because that is how I aproach most needs. It is a soup spoon that I peenea bit deeper and shaped up a bit. split a piece of 3/8 rod to lengthen the handle and added a bit of wood for a handle. Has lasted so well that I will probably never update it. Has a pin in the handle at an apropriate place to keep it at about the right depth in the pot so does not loose heat at all. It is light but holds enough for my moulds.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/0012.jpg

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/002-8.jpg

Von Gruff.

jcwit
12-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Nice ladle Von.

mooman76
12-10-2010, 08:38 PM
I like the Lee ladles too. They are cheap. You can improve them by bending them a little so they are level when you dip. I also filed on the pour spout so it would pour more accurate.

Jim
12-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Just for kicks and giggles, I bummed a 1/2 teaspoon and 1 teaspoon stainless steel measure from Janet. I checked the volume against a couple of molds. The smaller will carry enough to pour a 300 grain mold. The larger will carry enough to pour a 500 grain mold.
I grooved a spout in the side and attached a pair of six inch needle nose vise grips to one. I'm going to try this. If it works, that will be good for me as my hands are not as strong or steady as they used to be. If I spill any, it won't be much.

http://fgsp.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/ladles-e1292106498474.jpg

d garfield
12-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Just go to Midway and buy a Lyman ladel and have it over with. You need to get a Lyman catalog. Garf:killingpc

Jim
12-11-2010, 08:09 PM
I guess you missed the part about my hands.

deltaenterprizes
12-12-2010, 11:29 AM
It is good to see that people still have interest in making things adapt to their needs instead of using store bought solutions.
I hate to go to the hardware store now a days, if it does not come in a little clear plastic cardboard backed package with directions on the back the clerk has no idea what I am wanting.
Good work Jim and Von Gruff. In the past people took pride in making things and showing off their handy work, we quickly loosing that quality. Those that can do, those that can't go to the store and buy one that is close! LOL
Von Gruff, I like your customized number stick!

340six
12-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Just go to Midway and buy a Lyman ladel and have it over with. You need to get a Lyman catalog. Garf:killingpc
I have 2 Lymans and they are not heavy the cast part on the end is smaller with a SS tube and wood handle

Jim
12-12-2010, 07:24 PM
OK, fellas, my hand has been forced.
I've got Lupus and it affects my steadiness. I spill lead. I can't afford to spill much if it happens. If I spill more than a few drops, I could be badly burned. Ask me how I know. I have to dip just enough lead to fill the mold and make a sprue. That's hard to measure with a ladle that will hold a pound.
When you tell somebody "you oughta just go do so and so", you need to remember, there might be a reason somebody CAN'T use the product you suggest.
A lot of us on this forum are in the over the hill category. I'm over the hill and half way down the other side with no brakes.
I'm sorry, I don't mean to throw rocks. It just irritates me when somebody takes no consideration for the possibility of handicaps.

jcwit
12-12-2010, 07:42 PM
I can relate to this, Jim. I'm disabled and have ran into the same problem regarding folks not understanding why I do things the way I do. Many can't seem to understand their way is not the only way.

casterofboolits
12-18-2010, 11:08 AM
+2. I suffered a stroke that affected my left side. Had to make a lot of adjustments for everyday life. Typing is a real chore!

Ramslammer
12-18-2010, 04:32 PM
G'Day All
My first ladle was made with a soda siphon bottle. The ones that people used to make thier own soda for scotch etc. I cut the back half way from the end and top so it formed a scoop,drilled the nose out and got my dad to bronze a handle on top. I was only a little bloke when we made this (now days it'd be child abuse for exposing kids to lead but I'm still OK I think) and this ladle was light and held enough to cast 2 OO buck pellets at a time. Which from memory would be 1/4 ounce. Was fairly basic bit of gear but it worked and some places in the world you can't just go and buy stuff.
Juddy

bigboredad
12-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Jim I feel your pain I have MS and this last couple of years it has gone out of control. It's very frustrating when the simple things I could do before are a real chore now and How my strength has gone and then everyone is telling you what you need to do or try and you got to do this and that. Casting is my escape from he world and its the only thing I have to do as far as I'm concerned. Take care and stay strong

Charlie, AKA The Deacon
12-19-2010, 04:07 PM
I have a small Warren ladle #3 that is pretty handy, picked it up at a pawn shop for next to nothing.