PDA

View Full Version : Rem 514.........What is youy first rifle?

Shooter6br
12-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Mine was a Rem 514 Got from grandparent with Green Stamps at age 12 Now 54. Re did stock:drinks:

Xfire68
12-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Mine was a Savage 110 in 30.06. I bought it back in 1992 while in the Air Force living in South Dakota.

oldhickory
12-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Remington 512 Sportmaster, a gift from dad. I think he paid the handsome sum of around $25.00 for it.

missionary5155
12-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Greetings
Mine was a Remington 514 also. Dad was a street officer working the night shift at Benton Harbor , Michigan and brought home that 22 one night. Next Saturday and many more to follow I was popping cans hung on the wires at the lake side police range. I have no idea how many thousands of rounds we put through that barrel but it sure was accurate.

cheese1566
12-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Very nice on the Rem 514!

My first .22 was a Ruger 10/22 at x-mas almost 25 years ago. Still have it and will pass on to my daughter some day.

My Rem 514 is actually for her when she gets to the right age. It was acquired from my brother-in-law. During the years it was shuffled, neglected, and forgotten about until his mother discovered it while moving into a nursing home. Unsure of the origins. It was missing a trigger guard (another donated by a nice friend here!), surface rust, goo/grease/paint on the stock, and a broken-rewelded bolt handle. Now it is back to good shape and shooting straight.

Japlmg
12-10-2010, 06:58 PM
My first also was a Remington 514, back about 1960 when I was about 11 years old. Still have it, and still use it training youngsters how to shoot. I received my Boy Scout Marksmanship merrit badge with it, and it still shoots accurate after heavens knows how many rounds have been put down its barrel.
Gregg

45-70 Chevroner
12-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Mine was a Ranger bolt action single shot. Probably made by Win. You had to pull the cocking knob on the rear of the bolt each time you wanted to shoot it. It did not cock automatically. I was 13 years old now 69. I wish I still had it. I could hit just about anything I could see for as far as I could see it, bottle caps, squirlls, rabbits, birds, bull frogs, oh well---- just reminising.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Yep, my first real rifle was also a Rem 514. Now that IS BACK AWAYS!!!!!!!!!

That came after the J.C.Higgin's piece of junk bolt action .410 shotgun and of course the Daisy Red Rider - with wood stock.

Wore the Daisy out!!!!!!!!!! and traded off the .410 for an automatic fly reel.

Then like others over the years, sold the 514.

The worse one to know I let go was my dad's last deer rifle, a Model 99 - 300Savage.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-15-2010, 08:46 AM
My first firearm was a 514 too!

It was a boys carbine, and I sold it . . . it was a good little rifle, shot good, wished I had kept it.

I now have a 511P.

GT27
12-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Remmy 581,a Christmas present from my dad,now deceased.It's a real tack driver and will hopefully stay in the family for generations to come...

higgins
12-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Add me to the list of those whose first gun was a 514; there are apparently quite a few of us! In my adolesence I refinished the stock with a Herter's (Model Perfect I'm sure) refinishing kit and one of the local basement gunsmiths reblued it. It was my constant companion when I roamed my Grandparents farm and adjoining farms when I was up there in the summers and weekend visits.

cuzinbruce
12-15-2010, 12:05 PM
I guess I was a Winchester boy. My first was a Winchester 69A that I bought with money from my paper route. My Dad had to buy it, I wasn't 18 yet. About 1965. Cost $25. Still have it. (Second was a Win 92, also with money from my paper route. Still have that one too.) Thank God for paper routes.

AZ-Stew
12-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Mine was a Remington 511-X. I worked all summer of '66 bagging groceries to earn the money for it. I still have it and have collected (I believe) all the other variations of the 5xx-series. Nice little rifles.

Regards,

Stew

SPRINGFIELDM141972
12-15-2010, 05:32 PM
I'm another Remington 514 child. It was past down to me from my father, with my name chiseled in the barrel groove of the stock. Most accurate .22 I own.

Regards,
Everett

bob208
12-16-2010, 07:21 AM
mine was a 514 got it for christmass when i was 11. also got my marksmenship merit badge with it.

largom
12-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Add me to the list of Rem. 514's. Got it 58 years ago when I was 9 yrs. old.Lots of good memories go with that gun.

Larry

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-16-2010, 05:17 PM
How many of us Ol'514 owners are guilty, as a kid, of pouring out all the .22 shells into a pile and then putting them back into the boxes, one at a time????

I'm 67 presently and still find it to be a bit of a kick!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

bob208
12-18-2010, 09:34 AM
well crusty i have to admit to that one too.

one problem i had was after i cashed in my empty bottles [i was always looking for empty bottles.] was do i want 2 boxes of shorts or 1 box of longrifles. the shorts won out most of the time twice as much shooting.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
12-18-2010, 10:14 AM
How many of us Ol'514 owners are guilty, as a kid, of pouring out all the .22 shells into a pile and then putting them back into the boxes, one at a time????

I'm 67 presently and still find it to be a bit of a kick!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

WOW! There's thing I hadn't thought about for a long time. I had all but forgot doing that as a kid. I used to put a wad of toilet paper in the box to take up the space and keep the shells standing up like they came. One row up, one row down.:D

winelover
12-18-2010, 10:59 AM
My first rifle was a .50 cal LH Tennessee Mtn. rifle. I was hunting in SE Michigan which was shotgun/muzzloader only. Much more accurate than a slug gun, IMO. First 22 rifle was a Ruger 10-22 with a full length (gray/green) laminated stock. Have em both.

Wineover

AJ Peacock
12-18-2010, 11:10 AM
On the day before my 10th birthday, we stopped at the gun store (Gene Taylors Grand Junction Colorado). Dad told the guy behind the counter, "He's getting a 22 rifle for his birthday." then he told me "See which one you like".

It was the FIRST time that "I" was the consumer/decision maker! I checked out (fondled) every 22 rifle they had, I was in heaven!!! I chose a Winchester Model 9422 and still have it. I don't know how many 100's if not 1000's of miles I've carried that rifle.

It's been nearly 40 years since that day and I can still remember it as if it was yesterday.

Thanks for posting this question,

AJ

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-18-2010, 01:02 PM
514 memories ----

Yep, to get a few boxes of .22s for CHRISTmas or some other occasion was a BIG thing!

Then to pour them all out into one pile and put them all back in the boxes ----

Aaaaaah the simple pleasures of life.

And not only did we have .22 SHORTS and LONG RIFLE to choose between, but there was the .22 LONG.

Anybody bought any "LONGS" recently?

A number of years back I saw to revitalizing an older .22 which was chambered for LONGS.

Not that easy to come by and expensive.

Now with a few thousand Long Rifle .22 shells on hand, in different lot #s and brands/types, probably won't be dumping them all into one pile!

I remember back to 57 or 58 when my family and I moved to Eastern Oregon.

Nearest place to us was 7 miles down the road. Some cousins were operating that ranch, and they had a new hay field they were trying to get establised.

No matter how much water they poured on that field, the jack rabbits came in at night and ate it down.

Well, the Rem. 514 and I would head over to the field in the late afternoon, and it wasn't long before the jack rabbits began to pour into the field and the shooting began.

Then other evenings we'd head out onto some of the old back dirt roads, dad drive'in and me in the back with the 514. When I'd spot a jack, I'd tap on the cab roof, dad would stop and the shooting would begin.

Yes, those were the days!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

bob208
12-19-2010, 10:59 PM
yes i remember the big thrill of a few boxes of long rifles in the bottom of the christmass stocking.

i would also get a box every month when one farmer would call me over to his place. where i would shoot 2 or 3 snapping turtles in his pond. he would wade out and get them for soup . he would let me have what was left of the box of long rifles.

Arisaka99
12-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Mine is my Arisaka Type 99 7.7-06 from my grandfather. Next is my mossy 185 K and then my H&R Pardner 20ga and finally my "moms" beretta neos.

hoosierlogger
12-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Marlin model 60. Dad bought it for me when I turned 15. I am 31 now and use the dickens out of it. It is one heck of a squirrel gun. In 14 1/4 years it will be my daughters....... maybe.

firefly1957
12-27-2010, 09:24 PM
First rifle i shot was Mossberg model 42 first I owned was Remington 700 in 30-06.

Smoke-um if you got-um
12-28-2010, 01:06 AM
My memory is telling me it was 1965 and the 22 rifle was an Ithaca 22 single shot lever action. It had blond colored wood and the barrel/action was black as coal. You dropped the lever and the top of the action dipped and the round was loaded. Up came the lever and then cock the hammer to shoot. The extractor/ejector pulled the empty out when you lowered the lever, turn her upside down and drop the empty out and start all over again. There wasn't a chipmunk safe within a mile of the house ever again. I too collected soda bottles from the side of the road getting 1 or 2 cents apiece for them at the local "general store". It took me a long time to get the money because their was a small restaurant beside the store and a piece of apple pie (crust was made with real lard, I can still taste it even after all these years) and a glass of ice cold milk was an obligatory stop after getting paid off. Then a quick trip over to the Western Auto and make sure my rifle was still there and pay the man what I had left on lay-away, usually about a dollar. Get my receipt and back out the door with a big grin on my face. Different times..............

NickSS
12-30-2010, 03:55 AM
My first rifle was a sporterized Enfield No 4 mk 1 that I bought for $25 in 1964 My second was one my Dad bought me for a HS graduation present. It is a Austrailian Lithgow copy of a model 75 Winchester that I still have though I have not shot it in years.

82nd airborne
01-02-2011, 11:25 AM
I got my first gun in my early single digets. My Great grandfather had passed a K-frame .22 on to my dad. It was beautiful and looked brand new, and still does to this day.
My dad was working on the roof of the house, and I was a cowboy at the time. I walked outside and asked my dad..."Dad, if you fall off of the roof and die today, can I have your cowboy gun?" His reply was this> "No, but if you pray that I make it down safely, Ill give you the gun when I get down." I ran inside and prayed as hard as I could, that dad wouldnt fall off the roof. A little later, I was the proud owner of a K-frame .22.
Later at the age of 9, I killed my first deer with his M96 sporterized and chambered in .250sav. He gave it to me after the hunt. (for $130, he didnt believe in not working for something) In between that time I had several rimfire rifles, but those two really stand out in my mind.
We are still best friends and shooting partners.

Eutectic
01-02-2011, 03:08 PM
My goodness! You are all so young! My first was a Winchester Model 90 pump that shot .22 Short only. My father rebuild the old gallery gun and gave it to me on Christmas... It was made in 1903....

Eutectic

DeanWinchester
01-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Marlin model 15YN 'lil Buckaroo for my 7th B/day. Still got it. I haven't shot it in 15 years or more.

NoDakJak
01-07-2011, 08:40 AM
The first rifle that I hunted with was a Stevens Favorite. That rifle had a history. The owners hired hand stuck the muzzle in his mouth and shot himself shortly before he allowed me to hunt with it. The first rifle that I bought was a Remington 541 and I despised it. A few months later I traded it in for a new Winchester 67. I took a lot of small game with that rifle. I purchased that rifle new in 1954 and when I enlisted several years later I passed it on to my youngest sister. She still has it. Neil

waco
01-08-2011, 05:30 PM
ruger 10-22 for my 12th birthday in 1986. still have it. only the receiver is the same now though!

weakhand luke
02-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Wow! Lots of 514 first guns here.

My last gun was a Rem Model 514 ca 1949, won in a club raffle a month ago. It's previous life was spent in a large company's arsenal (back when large companies had their own PD and asenals) and apparently didn't see much use as it is in great shape.

I shot a few hundred rounds already (fun!) and find that it shoots nice groups but a couple of inches to the right. Of course, the rear sight is not adjustable for windage, so I've drifted the front sight until the groups are centered. Looks funny and doesn't seem right, so I wonder if anyone else had similiar issues and what they did to fix it? Also, any comments on the trigger pull and efforts to "smooth" the pull appreciated.

First gun was a Model 1200 Winchester. Dad bought it for me for Christmas '63. I had to choose between the Model 12 and the then bran-spankin' new 1200. Both were layed out on the shop's display case, either cost $96, my choice. And it wasn't the last bone-headed decision I've made...

jh45gun
02-09-2011, 12:49 PM
My first rifle was a single shot Marlin Bolt Action brand new I got for Christmas in 1964 I would have been around 12 at the time.

Sonoma2k2
02-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Ruger 10/22. dad got it for me in 9th grade and its chunked out countless rounds with no probs.

bob208
02-09-2011, 09:09 PM
my 514 shot to the right also had to drift the front sight to the right.

i think the rear sight holes mite be off a little. thought about filing them out some so the sight would slide to the right a little.

nwellons
02-10-2011, 10:16 AM
I bought a Remington 512T in 1958 or 1959 at the Western Auto. I had a paper route, saw the rifle and paid the owner $5 and promised to pay the remaining $20 at $5 a week. I took the rifle home that day and still have it. I shoot squirrels regularly with it.

tward
02-10-2011, 01:45 PM
My first rifle was a JC Higgins (Sears) model 42 DL. Got it to shoot at a junior club in 1959-1960. The club instructor did a trigger job on the gun, still breaks like glass or ice! Still have it and it still shoots better than I can hold.
Tim:mrgreen:

Ilwil
02-11-2011, 02:09 AM
Mine is a Winchester Model 63, I got it from a close family friend when I was about seven, in 1958. Much plinking. some rabbit hunting in the San Juan Islands, went off to college with me. Eventually I realized its quality, (A 1933, with 20" barrel) and its worth. It's semi-retired now, but still beautiful, resting in the rear of the safe, waiting for a worthy nephew or grand son.

Southern Son
02-11-2011, 06:59 AM
I am almost embarrased to say, a Gecado Mod. 22, .177cal Air Rifle. I could actually see the slugs flying through the air. My dad and I shot about 15 cats on the roof of his bird cages, and I could recover the slugs, as often as not. Even when I couldn't recover the slug, I heard it fall onto the roof of the cages and then roll off.

Geezer59
02-18-2011, 09:26 PM
My first rifle was a Remington 513T, with an early Weaver 2.5x scope mounted on it, that my Dad gave me. He paid the princely sum of $17 for it in a NYC pawnshop.

I was so proud of that rifle, I couldn't bear to be separated from it for long. At age nineteen, I took it with me to St. Louis to attend technical school. Hadn't been there two weeks before it was stolen - I've missed it ever since. :cry:

klcarroll
02-18-2011, 11:46 PM
My first rifle was a Yugo 8mm Mauser.

I bought it in 1971 at the local Woolworths for $37.50: ....The same store sold Interarms 8mm FMJ for $3.50/50!!

I made a lot of noise with that rifle at the local quarry.

Kent

GLShooter
03-16-2011, 06:20 PM
First RF was a 10-22 I bought in 1964 when I was in 9 th grade. Put a Weaver K3 on it. It is still a shooter and has beautiful walnut in the stock with super nice bluing.

My first air gun was a Crosman 140 pneumatic I got when I was 6 yo. in 1956. I still have it (rebuilt 4 times) and it still kills pigeons like a lightning bolt.

Greg

izzyjoe
03-16-2011, 08:33 PM
My first rifle was a marlin 60, my grandad give it to me when i was 7yrs. old. still have it, 30yrs latter it still shoots like a champ. i got a deal on basket case 1890 winny, in 22wrf the other day. i'll fix it up for my little girl, she'll have a ball with this one.

boommer
03-18-2011, 10:33 AM
62A Winny, still have it .

Isaac
03-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Add me to the 514 list. Mine is actually a 514BR (boys rifle) . I still have it today. I recall shooting it in a Cub Scout competition and winning a 2nd place metal.

My first hunting gun was an uncle's borrowed, I believe, Stevens 16ga break action with a Savage Four-Tenner installed in the barrel.

Boy, I hadn't thought about those guns in many years. The 514 is buried deep in the safe.

Isaac

midnight
03-18-2011, 12:06 PM
My first gun was a 514 around 1950. I still have it. It was the gun left loaded in the wood bin and my kids were instructed to kill every little red squirrel they saw so they wouldn't chew down the house. The boys learned to shoot with that gun. Maybe my Grandson will shoot it too although he seems to like the Ithaca 37 16ga for ducks.

Bob

L Ross
03-19-2011, 08:20 PM
I 1962 my Dad traded 8 #1 Victor traps to a farmer, (2 dollars worth) for a Stevens pull cocking single shot bolt 22. He brought it home and cleaned off the rust and manure and wood burned a squirrel, a buffalo, a mule deer, and a racoon on the stock and forearm. (Dad could draw) My younger brother and I shot that little rifle to the point that it spits at the breech today and is retired. We walked the railroad tracks for pop bottles, got the refund at the Consumer Store and bought Gambles Skogmo shorts to feed it. I think they were 29 cents a box.

Duke

Alan in Vermont
06-23-2011, 08:19 PM
The first rifle I shot was a single shot 22 my father had. Winchester something, bolt action and hand cocking. It was "mine" until I got a 22 of my own, a Wincheter 150 (IIRC) lever action. I traded that off for something else that caught my eye, don't remember just what. Went for a long itme without a .22 rifle in the house, finally picked up a used 10/22, put a Williams Foolproof on it, shot up a storm. My son has that one now, we divvied up some of the shooters when he got a place of his own. That one was the one he popped his first tin can with, I won't ask for his first 22 back.

When my father died he wasn't speaking to me, he sold the .22, a nice late 40s 94 in .32 Special, and the neatest .22 I ever saw, a J. C. Higgins .22 autoloader with a retracable carrying strap housed in the buttstock. You pulled it out and the tip of it latched to a fitting on the forend. I would have bought all three but it was not to be.

canyon-ghost
06-23-2011, 09:43 PM
First 22 I shot was Dad's, Western Auto Revelation with blond stock, made by Marlin. He still has it.

After many years of not shooting at all, I found the range and a few shooting matches. The local pawn shop sold these Anshutz rifles new. I bought a 1451D match 22 and scoped it with a VX1. It's a pleasure to shoot.
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/3rdshooter/bhjga010.jpg

My second 22, and I bought it to have an open sight rifle, is a Winchester Wildcat. These were imported, made in Russia. They're a bit of a kid's rifle with extra magazines, two 10 round and one 5 round magazine. That's okay, the accuracy is astonishing for the price tag. Think I paid $208 for it, I had to wait a year before it came in. I'd actually forgotten ordering it when it came in. Good shooting little cuss!
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/3rdshooter/contenders/winchester.jpg

frkelly74
06-23-2011, 11:35 PM
One day My dad brought home a new Daisy pump BB gun for me to shoot sparrows with out in the barn. It was too big for me and I had to put the but on my hip and use both hands to pull back the slide and it had no safety. Gradually I got somewhat proficient with it and one day astounded my Dad by actually hitting a pie plate that he tossed up in the air , saying " bet you can't hit this ". After 5 in a row he conceded that maybe I could. I was 9 or 10. I found out pretty quick that He didn't like me shooting out windows in the barn and gradually learned how to be safe. When I was 12 He got me a Remington 521 and had a man from the club work on the trigger. He really slicked up the trigger but in the process rendered the safety ineffective. Eventually I figured out how to fix the safety but did not carry it loaded until then. I graduated to my grandfathers Remington 513 and then bought a Winchester 52B for $75 when I was 16. That one was my baby. I used it to finish up shooting the 50 Ft small bore program and get my Distinguished Expert Award. Unfortunately it was stolen and I was sick about it. I still have the BB gun and the 521 and replaced the 513 with another but have not replaced the Winchester 52.

I have recently bought one of the Cricket 22 single shot rifles with pepto bismol colored stock for our girls to learn on. It is a real eye catcher and quite accurate with the CCI long loads. With long rifles you need ear protection and the recoil bothers them, but the longs are very quiet. It is a very light and short rifle and they are small framed people. But they are learning.

Punisher422
07-10-2011, 11:05 AM
My first rifle was a Winchester Model 67 left to me by my grandpa in the early 90's when I was six years old. When I got around 12 years old Dad and I would have competitions, my 67 against his Remington Target Master that his dad had left him. We would see who could get the smallest group on the end of a Coke can at the edge of the yard. Those little shooting contests got me started down the road of loving and appreciating guns.

bobthenailer
07-10-2011, 02:45 PM
My first 22 rifle was also a Rem 514 ! but i traded it years ago for a Rem 541 , i still have the 541. and just last monday i picked up a used Rem 514 single shot boys rifle with approx a 19 inch barrel in pretty good condtion at the local gun shop !

doubs43
07-10-2011, 02:54 PM
First rifle I shot was a single shot .22 Remington Model 33. First rifle I actually owned was a #1, Mk III SMLE. I still have it more than 50 years later.

Shooter6br
07-10-2011, 04:36 PM
First 22 RF got with Green Stamps. Topped with Simmons 3x9 AO 22Mag model. Stock refinished

458mag
07-10-2011, 09:46 PM
My first rifle was purchased for me by my father. He took me and my brother, 12 and 13 years old, to the gun shop. I walked out with a mint remington 03a3 two groove. My brother chose a marlin 95 in 45-70. My father gave the shopowner 100 dallars for the 03a3. I still own and shoot it regularly to this day forty some years later. At 200 yds 4 inch steel plates with lee 160tl unsized 21 grs 2400, no problem. Later on I bought my first rifle with money earned tossing hay bales during the summer. A ruger 10-22. I still own it and shoot it regularly. There are some rifles or guns you just dont part with.

Papa Jack
07-14-2011, 02:45 AM
Dad got me a Win. Model 77 clip feed about 1958 ( I was 8 yrs old ) , it was a used gun, in real nice shape. I got to go hunting with him and my uncle to a place called Adel Oregon. They went to hunt Geese, and left me in a VW camper bus. Standing on the fold down table, I was able to shoot Jack Rabbits out of the "sun roof" opening. I shot up a couple boxes of ammo that day. Got a couple Jack's, mostly shot up ammo...
Later I think Mom gave that rifle to one of the Step Brothers who took it to a gun shop and sold it.......I found it there ( it had white house paint splattered on it ! and a 4 number serial number !) , but I didn't have the money to buy it back at the time. When I got the money, it was already gone... "PJ"

Changeling
07-30-2011, 04:10 PM
I don't even remember the model! It was a single shot .22 with a slight spiral cut on the rear of the receiver housing for about an inch holding the bolt and a side safety. My Dad bought it at a pawn shop and brought it home for me.

It had a big stock that had to go. So, I cut it down to the contour of a sporting type stock from a picture in "Field & Stream" I think.
It was a real tac/squirrel driver and I literally shot it till it started leaking gas from the action. Thousands and thousands of shots and game! It was super accurate with a long barrel! I was the envy of all the kids, there dads tried to buy it, Nope!!!

I think it was a "Stevens", why I don't know, times a bitch!

bhn22
07-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Stevens 120A "Springfield". Your traditional bolt-action single shot. Mines probably 40 years old now (gasp). I did have to refinish the stock about 20 years ago.

Thin Man
08-05-2011, 09:25 PM
My first .22 rifle was a Remington 241 Speedmaster (Long Rifle chambering). I learned early to never place my hand directly below the receiver when firing that rifle.

Thin Man

hicard
08-06-2011, 09:06 AM
My first rifle was a Sears semi auto. It would sure stop working when dirty.

tacklebury
08-14-2011, 09:54 PM
My first rifle was my Marlin Papoose. 8) It's still going pretty strong, although, the magazine is pretty worn and in my negligent youth, I decided to camo it using camo duct tape. I also "sewed" the camo cover on myself. It's had well over 10k rounds through it and going strong. ;)

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/tacklebury/marlinm70papoose.jpg

3006guns
08-15-2011, 08:28 AM
A Remington 514 was my first "real" rifle, a 10th birthday present. I can remember how disappointed I was....I wanted an autoloader! My Dad was no fool though, so I learned all the rudiments with that little rifle and got pretty deadly with it. I was kept clean, oiled and adored at all times. Man, how that cherry red stock glistened!

It went to my daughter 20 years ago and I haven't seen her or the gun since. A friend gave me another about two years ago and I was astonished how small it was.........

ricksplace
08-15-2011, 08:49 AM
First 22 was a Savage 4C bolt action with a 26" barrel. Mom gave it to me. Still have it. As a matter of fact, it is now the only 22 I have. I have owned anchutz, brno #3, and a martini target rifles. Sold em all and kept the Savage. It shoots as well as any of the target rifles.

xringdave
08-15-2011, 09:46 PM
My first rifle was a sears .22 semi-auto my dad bought me in 1966 for $35 still have it.

whd45
08-19-2011, 11:43 AM
My first .22 was a Remington 24.

woody1
08-19-2011, 09:20 PM
Remington Model 34. Tube fed bolt action 22 S,L,LR, made only from 1932 to 1934. Was used, of course, when I got it in 1950. I put thousands of rounds thru it and still have it and it still shoots. Regards, Woody

08-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Remington 510 my Dad paid $5.00 for.

RJM52
08-24-2011, 07:21 AM
Marlin 39A-Golden...with the 24" barrel, pistol grip stock and a magazine that would hold enough Shorts for an afternoon of shooting....

Bob

HawkEyeEarl
09-04-2011, 10:37 PM
It was a remington bolt action tube magazine in the middle 1960's.
I do not remember the model.
The tube was lost so me and daddy used it like a single shot.
We shot many critters with it for food.
squirrels, rabbits, turtles. fried if it was young. fried and steamed if it was old and tough. we ate lots of them. like people today at macdonalds. It was done as a part of work in the fields, hunt or fish as the time allowed during the days work.

When me and 2 other farmer boys could get a dollar we would walk to the general store and get a box of shells. Sometimes we each could afford a box by working in hay or tobacco. We hunted and shot for fun.

One of other boys had a pump winchester or stevens 22.

Good memories.

FTF
09-16-2011, 09:12 PM
A Remington Nylon 66 Semi Auto appeared in my Christmas Stocking (Special Size Made by my Mother) No Idea how many Bazillion rounds I ran through it. Some Burglar has it now.

avogunner
09-20-2011, 07:52 AM
A Marlin 780 as a Christmas present in 1971.....I was 10. I still have it of course, and I wish I had a nickle for every round I've put through it.