PDA

View Full Version : How far can you size down

plumber
12-08-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm looking to cast for my garand, bore slugs out at .309

I have a NOE 314299 that I use at .314, how far can I size it down, or do I need to get a 311299?

Bullshop
12-08-2010, 11:26 PM
The nose diameter may be more of a problem on your 314299 than the drive band diameter. Check the nose diameter against you bore (top of lands) diameter.
If it wont fit you may end up having to seat it too deeply to get anything like good results.
If the nose diameter does not cause a problem then you can size the drive bands to the guns preference. I prefer to size nose first at not more than .002" or at most .003" per sizing. It can be done in one but I prefer to go in steps. It is also better to have the lube grooves filled when sizing down.

frkelly74
12-09-2010, 09:49 AM
I have one of the 312-155 lee molds and use those bullets in my Garand sized at 311 with a gas check on it. I got it for a 303 Brit and it did not fit that at all, But it does do well in the Garand. I do wish it had a longer shank , making it a bit heavier and I wish I had gotten the 2 cavity. But it is fun to play with. If you would like a few to play with I would trade you for some of yours.

pdawg_shooter
12-09-2010, 11:31 AM
I size .311 down to .3015 for paper patching in a push through die all the time with no problems. Also .459 to .4515 for the same reason.

chris in va
12-09-2010, 10:41 PM
My 358 mold drops at 362 and sizing back down is no problem. I just lightly spray the boolits first with silicone.

1Shirt
12-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Trial and error. Tend to agree with Bullshop regarding nose. the other consideration is that you are reducing the grooves of the boolet, thereby reducing the capacity of lube that the projectile may hold.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

sqlbullet
12-14-2010, 11:13 AM
I am with Bullshop. If the nose will fit the lands, then you should be fine.

Char-Gar
12-14-2010, 12:17 PM
My thought on the issue are as follows;

1. The comments on the nose size are "spot on".
2. If the nose is too large, Buckshot can make you a nose size die cheaper than you can buy a new mold and they are handy gizmos to have.
3. Sizing a bullet body .005 is no problem, IF you use a nose first sizing die. If you use a die where you push on the nose, there is a chance you can bend or expand the nose. Nose first sizing is always better for rifle bullets.

onondaga
12-14-2010, 01:01 PM
I size .513 bullets down to .501 with a lee push through. I tumble lube before and after sizing. I did have trouble with arm strength needed with higher BHN alloy but straight wheel-weight was no problem. 7 parts WW and 3 parts Linotype gave me fits and I wound up giving up sizing that far down with that hard of an alloy. Try a small batch first. They may run just fine. If not, you will notice very quickly.

Gary

PacMan
12-15-2010, 07:18 AM
I water drop WW and if it is a bullet that needs sizing mor than .003 i size right after casting. By tne next morning they have hardened enough the sizing get harder.
I use a Saeco sizer and i remove the pin from the die and nose size everything by pushing through like a Star machine.
Another thing to watch is if you are sizing bullets that harden over time there can sometimes be as much as 001 diffrence (usually closer to .0005). To get the .3595 i need for my Ruger i have to wait untill the next morning to size after they harden some.
Dwight

runfiverun
12-15-2010, 04:21 PM
if i want to only size my loverign designs down and not destroy the bands.
i melt some lube in a cup and dip lube letting them cool on wax paper.
i then push them through the sizer i get a lot of lube back but i don't lose the lube capacity.
it works when i want to size down the 314 to 310 too.

nanuk
12-16-2010, 12:50 PM
if i want to only size my loverign designs down and not destroy the bands.
i melt some lube in a cup and dip lube letting them cool on wax paper.
i then push them through the sizer i get a lot of lube back but i don't lose the lube capacity.
it works when i want to size down the 314 to 310 too.

I understand the concept of the lube supporting the bands so they don't collapse into the grooves much, but do you think the lube swages the grooves deeper?