PDA

View Full Version : Rebore or Sleeve Savage Sporter

Good Cheer
12-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Help!
I'm trying to find someone that will rebore or sleeve a bolt action Savage Sporter 25-20. It's the design that had the integral receiver and barrel, all one piece of steel.
Suggestions anyone?

KCSO
12-08-2010, 10:36 PM
All right it can be done but duplicating the breech are may be a little tricky. It's been a long time since I had one of these so I would really have to look at the gun and ponder. I know you would have to chamber it with an extension on the reamer if you finished reamed the barrel in the gun. If yoou didn't care about colectability it would be possible to convert the action to a threaded barrel also. My buddy down the street got my Savage 32-20 from me I will have to go take a look and then give you a more definate answer.

bohica2xo
12-09-2010, 02:16 AM
Ah, the 23D. Had a few over the years, many of the factory 22 Hornet chambers are sloppy - probably because of the way they had to be chambered.

Redman's can reline or re-bore it. Did you just want to fix the bore / chamber? or is this a caliber change?

http://www.redmansrifling.com/index.htm

B.

Good Cheer
12-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Sadly, I have already contacted Redman's yesterday and was turned down...didn't "care to take the job on". So, I'm still needing recommendations, hoping to keep it in 25-20. Although, the French 8mm pistol cartridge made out of 32-20's would be absolutely wonderful. But, that's just a dream.
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/SNARGLEFLERK/Savage25-20.jpg

Good Cheer
12-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Just spoke with someone that can supply an 8mm blank with the correct groove diameter.
Always been a real sucker for rifle / revolver combinations using the same cartridge. And I don't know why when they never like the same load.

bohica2xo
12-09-2010, 09:17 PM
I guess the last two he did for me was the end of it. Oh well.

There are several gunsmiths out there that offer similar services, I just have no personal experience with them.

B.

flounderman
12-09-2010, 10:28 PM
you can try high plains reboreing and rerifling at turtle lake, north dakota. I think the number is 701 448 9188. probably get it done quicker there than most places, if he isn't busy pushing snow.

Multigunner
12-09-2010, 10:40 PM
When I lucked onto my 23B I had been looking around for any similar sized action I could use to build a 7.62X25 Tokarev carbine. I never expected to find a rifle this old in such great shape. Bore is like new and retains around 98% original metal finish, wood is also in good shape.
After firing my first few shots from this rifle I never gave the Tok carbine idea another thought.
The fellow I got the 23B from had bought it thinking it was a .22 Magnum, then lost interest in keeping it because .25-20 ammo was so hard to find around here.
I had to make a 120 mile drive to score the last box of .25-20 to be found anywhere near here.

I think the 32.-20 uses a .314 bore. You might turn down a cut off Enfield barrel to use as a liner. Thats what I'd figured to do if I'd built the Tok carbine.

Best to keep a 23B in its original chambering.

If the bore is shootable at all you could probably trade the rifle for a 32-20 Savage in better condition.

I'd try lead lapping before giving up on the bore. Not fire lapping, but good old style lead lapping.

Newtire
12-09-2010, 10:52 PM
I don't know if John Taylor would be interested. He did a real sweet job on my old Colt Lightning rifle. He is "One of us" on this site and has a shop in Puyallup, Washington.

Good Cheer
12-09-2010, 11:35 PM
I guess the last two he did for me was the end of it. Oh well.

There are several gunsmiths out there that offer similar services, I just have no personal experience with them.

B.

The impression that he gave was not that he was no longer doing such, just that he didn't care to do the job on this type rifle.

Frank46
12-10-2010, 12:45 AM
I think you would be better off getting your barrel relined. There is a guy who makes his liners from aircraft grade steel tubing and from what little I have heard its a superior liner compared to others. Basically you drill out the existing rifling, then ream and install the liner using thread locker or a similar type anerobic adhesive. Think John Taylor does this work. I'd contact him and get the info straight from him. He uses T.J.'s liners and I believe they run about $10 an inch or so. Don't quote me on the actual price. Frank

Marvin S
12-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Frank, I think it is more of a problem of how the gun is made and getting someone to tackle it. The guns have a one piece barrel and receiver. I also have a 23B and wondered about the same thing.

bohica2xo
12-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Sad really. The guns were made from a single piece of steel, decades before we had even simple NC type equipment. By hand, with skilled craftsmen in the shop.

Now it is hard to find someone willing to open up the existing hole, and install a liner.

B.

Good Cheer
12-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Oh well, reckon I can just use (yuck) full length gas checks. With Unique it still shoots under an inch from workshop to tree line, about fifty paces.

Artful
12-10-2010, 11:48 PM
I remember there was a light weight (mountain rifle) that was made like this one piece design - upon rebarreling they cut off the barrel at a point then bored in then threaded the stub and installed a new barrel on the receiver making it into a conventional two piece design.

Don't know if that helps ya in this case but thought I would throw it out there.

Marvin S
12-11-2010, 07:39 PM
I know a guy that will probably reline it if you are determined to get it done. I can check with him if you want. He is here in Kansas. I had him do a 32-20 once for me.

John Taylor
12-12-2010, 10:28 AM
T.J.'s probably has the largest selection of liner. They are made from 4130 aircraft tube and run on a hammer forge. Redman liners are made from the same tube and button rifled. http://www.deltagunshop.com/clearwater_reboring/index.html may be able to do a rebore to 32-20. I have not done a liner in one of these before but I'm willing to give it a try. The 32-20 uses a .312 groove diameter with a 1 in 16" twist.

Marvin S
12-12-2010, 07:34 PM
I talked with a retired gunsmith today and he said he done one before am believes he chambered and cut the extractor groove before locking the liner to the barrel.

richbug
12-13-2010, 10:02 AM
I talked with a retired gunsmith today and he said he done one before am believes he chambered and cut the extractor groove before locking the liner to the barrel.

That was exactly my thought. Cut the chamber, then press the liner in, using a GO gauge and your bolt to tell you when to stop.

Marvin S
12-16-2010, 09:20 PM
I had mine looked at today and am going to have it lined also after using a hawk eye bore scope on it it looks like the thing to do. He didn't seem to think it would be to big a deal.