PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Mauser safety

borderman
10-16-2006, 09:32 AM
I have a Swedish Mauser unfired by me. Years ago I had a 'gunsmith' attach a scope mount and add a Bold trigger and a plastic stock. The trigger pin had no side support in the stock and just fell out. I replaced the original stock and bought a stock trigger set (sear, spring, pins) from Numrich with both single stage and two-stage triggers. In case it matters the bolt had also been polished.

Here is the problem. With the bolt cocked and the safety in the vertical position, if the trigger is pulled the cocking piece moves slightly but the safety holds. If the safety is then turned to the left (off) the bolt 'fires'. If the safety is vertical and cocking piece is pulled back slightly after pulling the trigger something seems to catch and the safety can then be turned to the left normally. This happens with both triggers. I disassembled the bolt and all looks okay but what do I know. Any ideas whould be greatly appreciated.

Update - the probem is definitely in the bolt. Pulled the bolt from another rifle and it works as it should. I am wondering if the flat on the cocking piece has been ground down somehow during the polishing process. I will measure after a bit and see. If this is the case can another cocking piece be purchased and slip right in or will it need to be fitted? Any headspace issues with another cocking piece?

Final update - the problem is definitely in the cocking piece. Replaced the piece with another and it works fine. The projecting part on the cocking piece is .224 'tall' while the piece that works is .228. So the .004 was either always missing or removed by the gunsmith. This test apparently answered the fitting question but the headspace question remains.

RayO
10-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Headspace is determined at the locking lugs.Changing out a cocking piece should not alter the headspace.

dragonrider
10-16-2006, 04:29 PM
The problem can be one of two things, the cocking piece or the safety. One or the other has been ground, filed or polished too much and must be replaced because what you have is very unsafe. When the safety is engaged the cocking piece/fireing pin should visibly move backwards, this action moves the sear away from the trigger. What is happening on your rifle is the safety is not engaging the cocking piece until you pull the trigger which allows the sear to move forward beyond the trigger engagement surface so that when you release the safety there is nothing to stop the fireing pin from moving forward to stike the primer. Try this experiment, with chamber unloaded, cycle the bolt and watch the cocking piece as you engage the safety, did it move? Now pull the trigger and watch the cocking piece did it move forward even the smallest amout?? If so bad things are happening and must be corrected.

borderman
10-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Try this experiment, with chamber unloaded, cycle the bolt and watch the cocking piece as you engage the safety, did it move? Now pull the trigger and watch the cocking piece did it move forward even the smallest amout?? If so bad things are happening and must be corrected.

Engaged the safety - the cocking piece did *not* move backward.
Pulled the trigger - the cocking *did* move forward.

Many thanks guys - I will order a safety and cocking piece and not be concerned about the headspace.

hpdrifter
10-21-2006, 12:04 AM
You don't have to order a new one. You can carefully file then polish the cocking piece that engages the sear. The safety is supposed to pull the striker back off of the sear. If the cocking piece is too long, the safety does not do this. When the sear is released, the cocking piece slides forward because the safety does not pull it back far enough. If the cocking piece is filed/polished shorter(sear side) the cocking piece is farther forward and the safety will pull it back some.

I had to do this to mine also.