camerl2009
12-08-2010, 12:13 AM
ok so im getting ready to start making muzzleloaders flintlock only
but the one im thinking about making a rifle/shotgun
barrels to choose from are 20ga,24ga, .54cal 1-56", .58cal with 1-66"

yes these are barrels i buy not make just to clear things up :razz:

Shooter
12-08-2010, 10:08 AM
The .58 would be an easy swap if you got a rifled and smooth barrel from the same maker. I think I would use keys instead of pinning the barrel on.

camerl2009
12-08-2010, 11:04 AM
The .58 would be an easy swap if you got a rifled and smooth barrel from the same maker. I think I would use keys instead of pinning the barrel on.

all the barrels have the same outer profile easy swap but the barrels have to be fited to the gun. the way im doing it is pins for now i mite change that the breech plug has to be unscrewed from the stock before the barrel can be removed

gnoahhh
12-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Sounds like a worthwhile project. I've often thought about doing it myself.

If I may make a suggestion, profile the stock for efficient shotgun shooting rather than the other way around. Shotgunning is instinctive in nature and benefits from a stock tweaked in that regard. A shooter taking deliberate aim with a rifle can adapt to a shotgun stock easier than vice-versa.

camerl2009
12-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Sounds like a worthwhile project. I've often thought about doing it myself.

If I may make a suggestion, profile the stock for efficient shotgun shooting rather than the other way around. Shotgunning is instinctive in nature and benefits from a stock tweaked in that regard. A shooter taking deliberate aim with a rifle can adapt to a shotgun stock easier than vice-versa.

im using a english fowler stock its not a project im selling these

Marvin S
12-09-2010, 11:43 AM
You talking similar to Danny Caywood guns?

oldhickory
12-09-2010, 01:15 PM
A hooked breech and key retained barrels would make a very attractive selling point on these.

northmn
12-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Keys would be a better route for change over but pins work OK if one buys a pin punch. Use common stock for pins. I use 1/16 or 3/32 stock so that drill bits are easily matched to the pins. Some like escutions to avoid marring around the pin holes. A hooked breech would be nice but if barrles are bought already breeched as in Coleraine barrles the plugs might match the inlay. If not, you can inlet the smaller plug and file fit the other. A tang screw from the plug tang to the trigger guard is almost as simple as a hooked breech. Also drill the lock bolt sand then file out the barrel so that the lock soes not have to be removed. I would strongly suggest going to the AmericanLongrifles.com site that has a whole section devoted to gun building. You also can get some tips on how to fix any screw ups you are likely to make on a build so that they look like you planed it that way.

DP

camerl2009
12-14-2010, 11:46 PM
any one interested pm me [smilie=1:

hickstick_10
12-15-2010, 02:58 AM
Camerl2009 I would like you to look at this site.

http://underhammers.blogspot.com/

and think about the possibilities with the underhammer action. Check every page of that blog because there are lots of pictures and ideas for everything from inerchangeable barrels, to big game rifles, to harmonica repeaters and shotguns of course.

Most any man with a file a hacksaw and a lot of spare time COULD make an underhammer action.

You can also make them in a flintlock, although the cap lock is much easier.

camerl2009
12-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Camerl2009 I would like you to look at this site.

http://underhammers.blogspot.com/

and think about the possibilities with the underhammer action. Check every page of that blog because there are lots of pictures and ideas for everything from inerchangeable barrels, to big game rifles, to harmonica repeaters and shotguns of course.

Most any man with a file a hacksaw and a lot of spare time COULD make an underhammer action.

You can also make them in a flintlock, although the cap lock is much easier.

im making flintlocks and thats it. no cap locks thay cant be shiped
to the US and i have to register cap locks not worth it to me

camerl2009
01-26-2011, 05:40 PM
A hooked breech and key retained barrels would make a very attractive selling point on these.

im now going with a hooked breech and key type pins :D

camerl2009
01-26-2011, 06:12 PM
and a 28 ga barrel too but tracks sold out right now :roll:

+ i can line a barrel for .45 1-48",.50 with 1-20", and .50 with 1-48" for a rifled barrel on these