PDA

View Full Version : Recently helped with some indoor range improvements

nighthunter
10-15-2006, 09:31 PM
I recently helped with some indoor range improvements at one of our local clubs.My reward for helping was about 15 5 gallon buckets of range scrap from behind the target boards. It without a doubt was the dirtiest stinking mess I have ever had the pleasure of rendering down.Chunks of rubber matting shot up till a lot of it looked like fiberglass insulation. Not to mention the dirt and sand mixed in with everything. I got a lot of experience with different flux's. Surprisingly the 2 best fluxes were plain oul sawdust and Marvelux.It took me almost a week to smelt this stuff down but I got almost 800 pounds of lead that was fired from 22 rifles.I.m going to treat it as pure lead with about 2% anttimony. I.ll mix it with WW and add a bit of tin and I think it will good for some fine bullets.
Anyone care to comment on this plan?
Nighthunter

imashooter2
10-15-2006, 10:35 PM
My only source of free lead is the same stuff (though it sounds like yours had a lot more trash in it). I use it as is (no added tin) and water drop it. Casts very well. It seems to harden up just like WW.