PDA

View Full Version : the bug is killing me

corey012778
12-06-2010, 02:50 AM
i am wanting to cast some boolits up, but I am an outdoor caster. no indoor set up. but the bug to let the stream go, but temp. has dropped and the call for snow flurries every other day, namely the days I am off from work. the cold temps. really don't bother me.

i have two window fans both are be placed in the windows, one blowing in the room, and one blowing out. but still don't feel safe doing indoors.

oh, I wanna cast, after almost two years of not having time of doing nothing dealing shooting, i wanna return with (turn an pun) both barrels blazing.

RobS
12-06-2010, 02:56 AM
No garage???

RobS
12-06-2010, 03:01 AM
You could very well make a shroud from a large Tupperware tote that you cut the back out to attach to the window fan. Simple put your setup next to the window underneath the shroud and you have exhaust to the outside setup. As to if you are in the house; I probably would be very careful as to not track it from one room to the next with your feet. If you are really careful and don't lead pieces all over the floor etc. you'll be less likely to track it throughout the rest of the house.

If you have young children I would not cast in a house, but that is just me.

corey012778
12-06-2010, 03:29 AM
No garage???

nope just an car port, it is an wind tunnel with only 10mph winds, it is calling for 20 to 30mph with 40+ mph gust.

no kids, but, still don't feel right about casting in the house,

RobS
12-06-2010, 03:37 AM
I would be worried about a room with carpet for sure as a fire hazard. As to fumes etc the shroud to a window fan works well and would take care of those issues by sucking the air to the outside. Just the cleanliness thing and fire hazards you would need to be worried about.

Rangefinder
12-06-2010, 03:44 AM
Smelting indoors would be a bad idea. Casting?? Seriously--by the time you get to ingot form, there isn't much left in there to get you. Unless your pot goes over 1200 degrees, lead fumes aren't gonna happen. Flux with a little wood chip, and it's no different than burning incense. With a little fan sucking air out, you'll be just fine.

NoZombies
12-06-2010, 04:12 AM
Heck, I've fluxed with an incense stick....

HighHook
12-06-2010, 05:22 AM
You could stand up a couple pieces of 4x8 plywood in the carport to block the bad elements,Temporary of course.

qajaq59
12-06-2010, 10:03 AM
I used to have a 3 foot high, three sided windscreen that I clamped to the picnic table for casting. It wasn't perfect, but it worked well enough to keep me in bullets. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

mdi
12-06-2010, 12:20 PM
A table with a "spill pan" under the pot set up next to the "exhaust" window and you should be fine. A large cookie sheet under the pot will keep most spills, sprues, and splashes conrained. Mebbe, if the room is carpeted a sheet of plywood on the floor under the table, to protect the carpet. Casters are creative folk, and where there's a will there's a way...

corey012778
12-06-2010, 09:14 PM
thanks for the advise, broke down and did it. 3hrs, much longer then I would of done if I went out side.

Gee_Wizz01
12-06-2010, 09:34 PM
nope just an car port, it is an wind tunnel with only 10mph winds, it is calling for 20 to 30mph with 40+ mph gust.

no kids, but, still don't feel right about casting in the house,

Can you use a couple of big blue tarps to close in one or two sides of your car port to form a wind break while you cast? Many years ago I lived in Va, and I took a blue tarp and tacked under the overhang of my house and staked the other side to the ground to make lean-to to keep the snow or rain out while I cast. I also do not like to cast in the house, its to messy, smells bad and most of all, I can't afford another divorce. I finally came up with the ultimate solution and moved to Florida.

G

AZ-Stew
12-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Corey,

I cast indoors all the time. My shop has no windows, and the doors remain closed. I had my blood lead level checked three years ago and it was 4. Two years ago it tested at 2. I saw no reason to have it checked last year. The gent who suggested a cookie sheet under the casting pot and plywood on the floor under your casting bench has the right idea.

BTW, my wife and I used to hunt near where you live. I was in the Navy at the time (early to mid 70s) and we used to drive up there from Norfolk the first weekend of the season. We would go south west on highway 42, then up over the mountain on Hite Hollow Road, then take Phillips Lick Road to its end where we would leave the car and hike up the creek a couple hundred yards and set up camp. We had great times up there.

Regards,

Stew

mooman76
12-07-2010, 08:40 PM
I've also been casting indoors for years and had my blood checked and it was well below the safe limit.